Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:58:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773565
  • Total Topics: 66387
  • Online Today: 159
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 148
Total: 148

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Possible Acute Infection.  (Read 8468 times)

Offline James2023

• Standard
Possible Acute Infection.
« on: November 06, 2023, 12:16:38 pm »
Hi All,

I wanted to ask for a potential risk to be assessed. I recently ended up at a sex party with a guy friend and took part in some activities that have left me worried.

I gave blowjobs to a few guys without ejeculatioj but possible precum and let one of them have sex with me. He wore a condom which we changed 3 times due to my fear of it breaking. None broke to my knowledge as I looked while he was taking them off and he didn't ejaculate.

He did rub/Press his head against my butthole quite hard without the condom but he didn't insert it.

That was 5 weeks ago today.

I know symptoms aren't the way to diagnose HIV but in the last week my back and shoulders have broke out in either spots or a rash. It's maybe 30 across the whole of my back and shoulders but I am panicking thinking it's a hiv rash from acute infection as the time frame of 2 to 4 weeks lines up.

I am booked for a rapid hiv test on Wed but I'm guessing 5 weeks is too early. I had a test 7 weeks ago and was negative
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 12:21:35 pm by James2023 »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Possible Acute Infection.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 12:27:54 pm »
I am booked for a rapid hiv test on Wed but I'm guessing 5 weeks is too early.

Yeah. If you ever do have an exposure, test at six weeks afterwards with a blood-draw (lab) HIV antibody test. The result at this time will rarely change, and retesting at three months generally isn't needed. If you using rapid testing then test at 3 months.

I had a test 7 weeks ago and was negative

So you didn't have HIV some 20 weeks ago.

my back and shoulders have broke out in either spots or a rash. It's maybe 30 across the whole of my back and shoulder

Not HIV-specific at all. See your GP and treat it.

He didn rub/Press his head against my butthole quite hard without the condom but he didn't insert it.

Rubbing against your anus isn't an HIV risk.

I gave blowjobs to a few guys without ejeculatioj but possible precum and let one of them have sex with me

The mouth generally lacks a route for HIV to infect, and saliva also neutralises HIV by damaging the receptors needed to infect human cells. Giving a blowjob is a minute HIV risk that doesn't warrant testing outside the standard yearly screening.

Move on with your life, and talk to your healthcare provider about PrEP as an additional layer of HIV prevention going forward.

Here's what you need to know to reduce your HIV risks:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse correctly and consistently, with no exceptions. Consider talking to your healthcare provider about PrEP as an additional layer of protection against HIV

Keep in mind that some sexual practices described as safe in terms of acquiring HIV still pose a risk for other easier-acquired STIs. So please do get tested at least yearly for STIs, including but not limited to HIV, and more frequently if condomless intercourse occurs.

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms; testing is the only way to know.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the "Do I have HIV" Forum, you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post, which will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread, and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be removed
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 12:29:37 pm »
Why did you test 7 weeks ago? Was it out of standard routine or following an exposure? If it was an exposure, what was the exposure and how long after the exposure was the test?
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline James2023

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2023, 01:03:44 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Jim.

I tend to take a rapid test every 4 months for peace of mind. Its ran by mpower in Ireland for free as I'm sure you know well.

I am a little nervy with HIV and generally only ever do oral with guys, never taking ejaculate in mymouth through fear.

I don't want to take pep as I am on multiple medications for other illnesses

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 02:31:25 pm »
I don't want to take pep as I am on multiple medications for other illnesses

Appreciate this, next to my HIV meds, I take several other medications.

My advice is to talk to the clinic about this, as they can give you specific advice, like potential drug interactions. However, at the end of the day, if you ever end up acquiring HIV, you will be taking these meds, and then some, so prevention is really better.

So talk to them, and another option is on-demand PrEP as this means taking less of the drugs, so less risk and interaction yet an excellent level of prevention and still peace of mind. Also, the standard PrEP is Truvada (TDF). However, there is also Descovy (TAF) nowadays, although, I am not sure if Descovy as PrEP is available yet in Ireland, given it is the HSE, I presume not, but it can't hurt to ask when you next get tested.

Prehaps skip Mpower and see one of the free GUM clinics instead next time you test.

Carlow
STI Clinic, Carlow District Hospital, Athy Road. Tel: 051 842 646

Clare
STI Clinic, Ennis General Hospital, HSE Ennis OPD, Westpoint Business Park, Kilrush Road, Ennis V95 D9KW, Co. Clare. Tel: 061 482 382. Email: theclinic@hse.ie

Cork
STI Clinic, South Infirmary Victoria University Hospital, Old Blackrock Road. Tel: 021 496 6844

STI Clinic, Youth Health Service, Penrose House, Penrose Quay, Cork City. Tel: 021 4937250

Donegal
GUM/ STI Clinic, Letterkenny General Hospital, Letterkenny. Tel: 074 912 3715

Dublin
GUIDE Clinic, St. James’s Hospital, James’s Street, Dublin 8. Tel: 01 416 2315 or 01 416 2316. Booking available at http://www.guideclinic.ie

STI Clinic, Mater Hospital, Eccles Street, Dublin 7. Tel: 01 803 2063. Booking information available at https://www.mater.ie/patients/sti/

Gay Men’s Health Service, Meath Primary Care Centre, Heytesbury Street, Dublin 8. Tel: 01 921 2730. Booking information is available at https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/5/sexhealth/gmhs/clinics

Galway
STI Clinic, Portiuncula Hospital, Ballinasloe. Tel: 090 962 4676

University Hospital Galway, Newcastle Road. Tel: 091 525 200

Kerry
STI Clinic, University Hospital Kerry, Tralee. Tel: 021 496 6844

Laois
STI Clinic, Out patients Dept., Midland Regional Hospital, Block Rd., Portlaoise. Tel: 086 859 1273

Limerick
STI Clinic, University Hospital Limerick, Dooradoyle. Tel: 061 482 382. Email: theclinic@hse.ie

Louth
GUM Clinic, Louth County Hospital, Dublin Road, Dundalk. Tel: 086 824 1847

STI Clinic, Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital Drogheda. Tel: 086 824 1847

Mayo
STI Clinic, Mayo General Hospital, Castlebar. Tel: 094 902 1733 (ext 3501)

Sligo
GUM Clinic, Sligo General Hospital, The Mall. Tel: 071 917 0473

Tipperary
STI Clinic, South Tipperary General Hospital, Clonmel. Tel: 051 842 646:TEMPORARILY CLOSED

STI Clinic, University Hospital Nenagh. Tel: 061 482 382 Email: theclinic@hse.ie

Waterford
STI Clinic, University Hospital Waterford Dunmore Road. Tel: 051 842 646

Westmeath
STI Clinic, Midland Regional Hospital, Longford Road, Mullingar. Tel: 087 710 4152
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline James2023

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2023, 02:40:30 pm »
Good point on the meds and something I will consider. I know HIV is a manageable condition but as you say prevention is better than cure . I have used guide before and also sh24 in the Last year. I do annual full screening as well as the 4 month checks in mpower.

Can I ask is the reason you suggested skipping mpower next test just to get a full screen is the rapid testing at mpower less accurate/reliable?

Sorry to sound dumb but moving back to my initial post and following exchange do you still think I am worrying unnecessarily over these back spots? Seems like acne to be honest it's just that the dates line up for 2-4 weeks acute infection.

As its my last post thank you Jim for all the advice and hopefully I csn get to meet you for a coffee someday to say thanks for this amazing support forum

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2023, 03:31:10 pm »
Can I ask is the reason you suggested skipping mpower next test just to get a full screen is the rapid testing at mpower less accurate/reliable?

The clinic can do more, such as a full screening instead of just HIV or the basics that SH24 offers. Also, they could recommend changing your current meds if needed so that you can still treat or manage your current conditions and take PrEP, they can also talk to you about your risks and offer vaccinations against certain infections, and if you do decide to take PrEP they can screen and make sure there are no issues with your labs etc etc.

Don't get me wrong; SH24 testing by post is a huge step forward, although it falls far short of the benefits of over-the-counter testing at the pharmacy that we don't have due to snowflakery in Ireland when it comes to sex and it lacks the overall care of the clinics. So SH24 and Mpower do not replace talking to a qualified medical professional from time to time, and the same can be said for HIV Ireland, which offers rapid screenings. See the clinic at least yearly.

Sorry to sound dumb but moving back to my initial post and following exchange do you still think I am worrying unnecessarily over these back spots? Seems like acne to be honest it's just that the dates line up for 2-4 weeks acute infection.

Yes. I think you are stressing about HIV when no stress or testing outside of the standard yearly routine is needed. Plenty of things cause rashes, and spots and I recommend you see your GP so they can look, test and treat it instead of stressing about it.

As its my last post thank you Jim for all the advice and hopefully I csn get to meet you for a coffee someday to say thanks for this amazing support forum

You're welcome but the forum truly is a team effort. I wish I could take credit but I can't.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 03:40:43 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.