Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 10:35:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37714
  • Latest: karl89
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773615
  • Total Topics: 66392
  • Online Today: 256
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 132
Total: 132

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Recent Diagnosis  (Read 8278 times)

Offline Bhall4

Recent Diagnosis
« on: December 18, 2019, 09:43:44 am »
Here is my official “Welcome”.  I did previously post in the Am I Infected? So several weeks ago. I became pretty sick. I was initially diagnosed with Strep/Mono. Then later the Flu. My initial HIV test was negative.  Several weeks later I had a rapid blood test that was reactive. Then one week beyond that a reactive oral swab (i did this while waiting for a doctor’s appointment). I had my first appointment last week and despite not having confirmatory tests we decided to proceed with Biktarvy. So far, I’ve only received my VL: 78,200.
Other than having a rollercoaster of emotions.... I have accepted and ready to take care of myself and move on. When other results come back I can post them. I must add this form has helped me mentally a lot. 

I work in healthcare so I was concerned about that, but I’ve learned that I can continue working with no necessary precautions, of course as long as I continue my medicines.

Offline Doctor with hiv

Re: Recent Diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 10:16:13 am »
Hey
Time will heal everything..and you will grow with time both mentally and physically
Just take a break
May I know you from ? And what job you have in health sector
Coz am also in medical profession:)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2019, 11:07:04 am »
Hiya,

Until your other lab results come back I am going to ask you to post only in this one thread - Thank you

Best, Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline MrAlwaysAnxious

• I survived, and the world deserves to know that.
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 12:25:57 pm »
Sounds like it was acute retroviral syndrome. The plus side here is that you caught the infection early. I myself was diagnosed with acute retroviral syndrome -- I tested negative on antibody test but positive on the antigen test (that is because my body had not yet made antibodies, thus would test negative for HIV antibodies).

It definitely is a whirlwind of emotions, but time will make it better eventually. It did for me. However, we all process trauma differently. We are here to support you.
Dx: 3/15/19
CD4: 349/33% on 3/20/19
VL: 9,820,000 on 3/20/19
Rx: Started Symtuza on 3/15/19
CD4: 771/39% on 4/16/19
VL: 484 on 4/16/19

Offline Bhall4

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2019, 01:22:10 pm »
Hey
Time will heal everything..and you will grow with time both mentally and physically
Just take a break

I work as a nurse practitioner.  Nice to meet you. Thanks for the encouragement!  :)

Offline Bhall4

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2019, 01:23:54 pm »
Sounds like it was acute retroviral syndrome. The plus side here is that you caught the infection early. I myself was diagnosed with acute retroviral syndrome -- I tested negative on antibody test but positive on the antigen test (that is because my body had not yet made antibodies, thus would test negative for HIV antibodies).

It definitely is a whirlwind of emotions, but time will make it better eventually. It did for me. However, we all process trauma differently. We are here to support you.

Yes you are most right, I’m sure it was ARS... now.  And yes it has been a crazy whirlwind, but I’m doing much better than when i first saw the rapid result.   Thank you!  And I am confident to know this was caught quickly.

Offline Expat1

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2019, 12:42:05 pm »
Sorry about your recent Dx.

Both my partner and I were diagnosed early.  Me about 8 weeks after Acute Retro-viral Syndrome (I thought it was Dengue) and him after a few months.  Both of us had CD4 counts over 1000, and since that time neither he nor I have every had a CD4 less than 695.  Nor have either of us ever displayed any signs of HIV illnesses.  Next month is 6 years on meds.  Both of us had undetectable viral loads at the first 3 month followup.

You should be fine.  Consider yourself lucky to have found it before the virus had time to damage your immune system.

Offline venom_X

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 03:16:25 pm »
We had very similar experiences. I also got diagnosed during ARS this year and started the treatment during Fiebig stage 2, where Ab is negative but Ag is positive.

You started treatment early and get the best that there is, the prognosis is good, I guess we all need from this point on be proactive about our health and keep up with the frequent checkups.

But one thing worried me in particular, is that my CD4 dropped so much (to about 400) even with being infected only 2 weeks and still in ARS. This virus strain we are infected with is definitely very different from the virus a decade ago where people can sustain relatively high CD4 counts years into infection w/o treatment.
Infected Mid June, 2019
Acute syndrome late June, started Biktarvy
3 weeks post infection (1 week on ART): VL: 330k, CD4 400 (33%), CD8 460, CD4/CD8 ratio: 0.9
5 weeks pi: VL: 300, CD4: 500 (30%), CD8: 690, ratio: 0.7
8 weeks: VL: 30,  CD4: 590 (28%), CD8: 920, ratio: 0.6
12 weeks: VL <30, CD4: 750 (37%), CD8: 700, ratio 1.1
20 weeks: VL<30, CD4 550 (dropped from 750 from 2 months ago, 38%), CD8 450, Ratio 1.2, elevated liver enzymes
8 months: UD, CD4 720 (40%)
12 months: UD
2021 May UD CD4 970 (43%) CD4/8 ratio: 1.3
2021 Nov UD CD4 630 (39%) CD4/8 ratio: 0.9

Offline venom_X

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 03:18:28 pm »

I think we probably have very similar timelines in terms of infection and treatment. From your signature, you seem doing remarkably well, with the CD4 back to normal range only within 1 month of treatment. How are you doing now with your VL and CD4, CD8 counts?
Infected Mid June, 2019
Acute syndrome late June, started Biktarvy
3 weeks post infection (1 week on ART): VL: 330k, CD4 400 (33%), CD8 460, CD4/CD8 ratio: 0.9
5 weeks pi: VL: 300, CD4: 500 (30%), CD8: 690, ratio: 0.7
8 weeks: VL: 30,  CD4: 590 (28%), CD8: 920, ratio: 0.6
12 weeks: VL <30, CD4: 750 (37%), CD8: 700, ratio 1.1
20 weeks: VL<30, CD4 550 (dropped from 750 from 2 months ago, 38%), CD8 450, Ratio 1.2, elevated liver enzymes
8 months: UD, CD4 720 (40%)
12 months: UD
2021 May UD CD4 970 (43%) CD4/8 ratio: 1.3
2021 Nov UD CD4 630 (39%) CD4/8 ratio: 0.9

Offline Bhall4

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 09:18:26 pm »
Sorry about your recent Dx.

Both my partner and I were diagnosed early.  Me about 8 weeks after Acute Retro-viral Syndrome (I thought it was Dengue) and him after a few months.  Both of us had CD4 counts over 1000, and since that time neither he nor I have every had a CD4 less than 695.  Nor have either of us ever displayed any signs of HIV illnesses.  Next month is 6 years on meds.  Both of us had undetectable viral loads at the first 3 month followup.

You should be fine.  Consider yourself lucky to have found it before the virus had time to damage your immune system.

Thanks !  Yes, while the diagnosis is unfortunate (just as with many diagnosis) I am thankful i caught it soon.   I’m still waiting on the rest of my labs to no CD4 and such!  My partner, was negative luckily. He will retest in about three months just to be sure!

Offline Bhall4

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 09:22:26 pm »
We had very similar experiences. I also got diagnosed during ARS this year and started the treatment during Fiebig stage 2, where Ab is negative but Ag is positive.

You started treatment early and get the best that there is, the prognosis is good, I guess we all need from this point on be proactive about our health and keep up with the frequent checkups.

But one thing worried me in particular, is that my CD4 dropped so much (to about 400) even with being infected only 2 weeks and still in ARS. This virus strain we are infected with is definitely very different from the virus a decade ago where people can sustain relatively high CD4 counts years into infection w/o treatment.

I am still waiting my CD4.  My initial VL was 78,200. My follow up will be in January which will put me on medicine for about 6 weeks.   Yes, you are right. It will be important to keep up with our health!  I was concerned about my work being around sick people, but my provider told me early and consistent treatment, I should not have to worry!

Offline Bhall4

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2019, 11:17:05 am »
LABS: (Initial) 12-12-19
VL: 78,200
CD4: 586
Genotype: B, susceptible to my current medication regimen Biktarvy.

All other labs are pretty decent.

My follow up will by 1-22-20

This has made me feel somewhat better with a little less stress on my mind. No side effects so far, but I also will have to see lab follow ups.

Other than feeling “why me”. My mind set has gotten better, from seeing the first reactive test on 12/2. I’m getting over the initial shock.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2019, 11:23:30 am »
Glad to hear you are feeling a bit less stressed about it.

Best. Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline JosephP

• Keep looking FORWARD... Dx'd 8/10/2013...
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 11:02:34 pm »
LABS: (Initial) 12-12-19
VL: 78,200
CD4: 586
Genotype: B, susceptible to my current medication regimen Biktarvy.

All other labs are pretty decent.

My follow up will by 1-22-20

This has made me feel somewhat better with a little less stress on my mind. No side effects so far, but I also will have to see lab follow ups.

Other than feeling “why me”. My mind set has gotten better, from seeing the first reactive test on 12/2. I’m getting over the initial shock.

Glad your numbers are improving! Don't worry about the 'why me' part.. It is a waste of time and energy that can be put to better use! It happened, we can't reverse curse and worrying about it will not make it any better. Concentrate in getting the rest of your life focused and stay adherent to those meds! Yes.. the initial shock is brutal, is horrendous and it is indescribable, but surviving is the beginning.. Keep up the good work and make Biktarvy your best friend!   :o :o
Today January 20, 2020, I have taken 2378 pills of my ARV since first pill. This means 79 bottles of 30 pills of ARVs at an average of $3950 per bottle or $313,103 USD for my treatment. I have a compliance of 99.83% taking my meds and only .17% (or 4 pills) non-compliant. Of these four pills two I forgot completely, One I lost and one I didn't have with me while traveling! I became UD 3 months after treatment start   ***We are all dealing with this. And we will live long and productive lives!! AND, yes the Lord is my shepherd. Life is good... And thanks for the meds! ***

Offline Bhall4

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2019, 08:40:45 am »
Glad your numbers are improving! Don't worry about the 'why me' part.. It is a waste of time and energy that can be put to better use! It happened, we can't reverse curse and worrying about it will not make it any better. Concentrate in getting the rest of your life focused and stay adherent to those meds! Yes.. the initial shock is brutal, is horrendous and it is indescribable, but surviving is the beginning.. Keep up the good work and make Biktarvy your best friend!   :o :o

Thanks!! You are absolutely correct. What is done is done and no reversing. So i just need to look forward rather backward l :)

Offline Bhall4

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2020, 10:24:30 am »
Here is my update:

December 12 to January 12

VL 78,200 ~> 90
CD4 584 ~> 849
(Other labs normal)

No side effects, thus far on Biktarvy.

Mentally, I have came a long way from Day 1 to now, sure it still in my mind... but at this time no more feelings of sadness/depression/anxiety. Now that I have a personal story I can more relate to patient’s in my job.

I have not, yet, experienced any negative reactions to the ones that know (granted 10 or so people). Everyone has been supportive. I do know there are uneducated people in this world.

I hope to be able to help others in the future with their experiences... you can not keep things bottled up! 

Offline Bhall4

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2020, 08:28:04 pm »
Had a good follow up with my provider. He was extremely happy with my lab work!  I’ll now follow up every three months!

In the meantime I’ve decided to start bike riding!!

The heath department in my state finally got ahold of me and boy was that an interrogation  :-\.

Offline Tincho

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 08:44:17 pm »
Hey
Just take a break
Hey! Como estan, estoy en el mismo rubro...como se envian mensajes directos x chat.
los espero.
Martin,

Offline Bhall4

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2020, 09:53:43 am »
So just an update and kinda looking for insight or similar experiences. I am trying not to worry, but... 

December:  VL 78,200 CD4 500+
January: VL 90. CD4 800+
April: VL 180. CD4 900+ 

I’m on Biktarvy. Not missed a dose, take it practically the same time of day give a 15min +/- deviation. There was an hour deviation once.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.