Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 01:40:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773565
  • Total Topics: 66387
  • Online Today: 177
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 145
Total: 147

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: I have a very high risk of having HIV but I am too scared to be tested, advice?  (Read 4280 times)

Offline 19girl96

• Standard
I am a 20 year old girl and have just found out the guy I was with has been tested positive. I was sleeping with him for over 5 months without protection ( I got on birth control) and now I am sure I am positive too.

I have had every single early symptom of HIV. I first thought I was just getting the flu, and I was just getting blisters around my mouth and stuff like I usually do but when finding out his status and looked up the symptoms I have realised that I think it is HIV I have.

Although I am sure I am positive I can not get myself to go get tested. I can not stop crying and stop thinking how my life is already over. I really feel that if I know my status that I will never be able to live a normal life. In fact I do not even see a future for myself if I am positive. I have always wanted a family and kids and do not see how that is possible with HIV. I do now know how I will be abel to afford the treatment. I also do not know how i would be able to tell my parents. I would hurt them so much if I was to be positive. They have always warned us of the risks of getting HIV and so on and I feel as if I would have disappointed them. I am just really scared and do not know what to do?

I do now want to know if I am positive but at the same time I can not sit every day telling myself I have it and crying when I do not even know but I am just too scared to know if I am positive.

What should I do and how do you handle the situation of finding out you are positive?

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
Greetings 19girl96:  I'm sorry to learn that you are going through such emotional angst.  However, there is no way to know for sure whether you are infected, unless you are properly tested. 

From what you write, you have been at risk (unprotected sex with a person who has tested positive for the HIV).  Symptoms don't mean anything much, really, since the virus affects people individually, so merely having symptoms does not confirm your HIV status:  you may or may not be HIV-positive.

You need to find the strength and support to get a test for HIV antibodies as soon as practicable because the sooner you know your status, the sooner you can get the treatment you need to live a long and health life, if you are, indeed found to be HIV-positive.

If you are HIV-positive, with proper treatment, you will be able to live a normal life, including the possibility of having children.  Many HIV-positive women have children who are HIV-negative.

If you are HIV-positive, there are many programs available that minimize treatment costs, depending on where you live.  Cost should not be a factor in your seeking an HIV test.

If you are HIV-positive, it is important to find out as early as you can in the infection process, to avoid long-term and, potentially, permanent damage to the immune system.  The earlier you find out the better your prognosis.

Being HIV-positive these days and on treatment is not the same as being HIV positive 30, or 20, or even 10 years ago.  Millions of people across the world are HIV-positive and live healthy and fulfilling lives.  Your life is not at all over.  You do have a future.

This forum is full of HIV-positive people who are healthy and live productive and fulfilling lives.

However, being HIV-positive and not on treatment is the same as it always was:  not a journey you want to take.

At this point, further speculation is not helpful.  You need to get an HIV test to know your status and, if appropriate, to get into the medical system so that you can be adequately treated for your physical and mental-health needs. Delay does not make the virus go away.

Please seek a local HIV-oriented testing center and get the testing you need.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline 19girl96

• Standard
Thank you so much for responding Ptrk3. Your post was very helpful and insightful.

I have decided to wait until the end of the month to be tested as that will be 3 months since I last had unprotected sex with the guy so that I would not have to go back at the 3 month mark but I have decided to just go and get tested.

Thank you for all of your wise words and making me feel as if HIV will not mean it is the end of the world. I am still very scared but now I think I will be able to manage. It will still be very hard but I know there are other people going through the same thing.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
As you have already been told your symptoms are in no way an accurate gauge of your HIV status.  The vast number of those who come here worried about symptoms have turned out to be HIV negative. 

It's good that you are waiting until the 12 week mark because a negative result at that point would be conclusive.

In the meantime while waiting to test you need to make a real effort of focus attention on other things in your life.  That may sound like a ridiculous suggestion but it can be done and it makes the waiting time go more easily than you may imagine is possible.

Meantime we're keeping fingers crossed for you.
Andy Velez

Offline 19girl96

• Standard
Thank you Andy. I have been working and been going out with friends each day to try and keep my mind off of it. It is very difficult to do that though when you look down at your hands and see a rash or you suddenly get chills or feel one of the fever blisters in your mouth, then your thoughts start going straight back to HIV.

I only have two more weeks to wait though and then I will finally find out. I really hope that everything will be fine but as I said it is a very big chance I have it but I really am hoping for the best.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Hi

Glad to hear you have been keeping yourself occupied.
Look I can only echo what the others have said HIV is not the end of the world and the symptoms you have could be anything or nothing and by no means are a sign of hiv.

When you do test make sure to also test for other STI's .

Jim

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.