Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:34:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773565
  • Total Topics: 66387
  • Online Today: 159
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 110
Total: 110

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: PCP  (Read 70954 times)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: PCP
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2015, 08:55:58 am »
Daniel, make each day the best you can. Make sure that each day in some way includes something you really enjoy. Doing that ...what in some cases someone might call a "small thing" can be huge in terms of shifting how you are feeling.

Take a shower, take a walk, have a cup of tea, read something, say hello to someone you like or whatever things get you to living in the moment. And out of the worries that are running around in your head.

Best to you.
Andy Velez

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2015, 06:45:04 am »
Thank you, everyone, for your advice.
This has been a difficult time for me but I try to keep your advice in mind. 
Arigato and yoroshiku.
Japanese National.
Language:  Japanese and English

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2015, 09:19:05 am »
Hi from TOKYO.
I have not visited the USA since I got sick with PCP one year ago.    I am thinking of going back this year.  I  am, however, a bit worried that it might be too much considering that I am still recovering with my cd4 at 290-300.  The flight from TOKYO to Minneapolis  or Detroit is a twelve hour flight.
Do you think I am not yet ready to go back to some of my regular activities?   Of course I will ask mydoctor next time.   Those who were sick with AIDS, did you refrain from being active for a while?
Thanks.   
Japanese National.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2015, 09:21:45 am »
I traveled all over the world with a cd4 count much lower than yours ... I say go and do what you feel like doing, that was always my motto .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline AusShep

« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2015, 10:08:22 am »
I traveled all over the world with a cd4 count much lower than yours ... I say go and do what you feel like doing, that was always my motto .

Ditto.  I was running around India, Rio de Janiero and many other places with lower numbers.  When I had PCP my pulmonoligist said ok to travel at about 170-180, I think that was the time I had MAC and bunch of other crap too.  Of course that was based on me, but since it's been a year and you're healthy, I wouldn't worry about it. 

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2015, 10:21:04 am »
Thanks, Jeff.

AUSSHEP.
Thanks.  I sometimes fly from TOKYO  to HOUSTON George Bush Intercontinental or to Dallas Fort Worth nonstop.  Too long .  Three meals.   
Japanese National.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2015, 10:25:31 am »
It looks like many of us members has chosen Memphis as the location to get together for a week in August . If you can mange to come you would meet a lot of new friends and have a great time ... You will get to visit Elvis at Graceland too !

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=57230.0
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2015, 10:30:50 am »
Thank you, Jeff.
I will think of it.   I like TENNESSEE very much.   I drove from MEMPHIS  to JERICO ARKANSAS last time.
Japanese National.

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2015, 09:10:18 am »
Good morning from TOKYO.
I have just watched some you-tube videos and one of them was about Dr. Peter-Jepson of Canada.  What a sad story!  And I cannot imagine the fear that the people had at the time there was no medication.    I know that many of you have gone through that as well.   

I thank you all for your patience.  I am in the process of learning how to love with this disease and need your advice constantly. Without this site,  I  might have given up my life last year.
Japanese National.

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2015, 09:12:11 am »
Oops -  how to live.
日本語わかる人いますか。
Japanese National.

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2015, 09:31:30 am »
My female friend has just called.   She is an American from Grand Rapids Michigan and has been living in Japan for over three decades.   She is one of the two people outside of my family that know of my disease.   For the past year she has been concerned about me since I  have been severely depressed.   I told her today that I had found this site and that I  have communicated with many people on it.  She is thankful that you are there to listen to me.   M.is my best friend to whom I came out about my sexuality before anyone else.  Her sister is ill and she has to fly to the USA every three months but still she worries about me and calls to check on me very often.   I am very glad that I started learning English when I was twelve.   Thank you all for being there.
Japanese National.

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2015, 07:44:03 am »
Greetings from TOKYO .
One year ago today,  I was officially diagnosed AIDS.  I felt my my life had ended.   I have not recovered from the shock yet and this has been a difficult day.   I saw beautiful Mt. Fuji from a train and felt tears on the back of my eyes.   Sad anniversary day.
Japanese National.

Offline zach

« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2015, 08:20:04 am »
bullshit, whats sad about it? happy birthday man, you are alive! piss em off, live long and loud

celebrate life

that mountain is calling you, you hear it and you feel it

go climb that goddamn mountain- j. kerouac

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2015, 04:40:51 am »
Zach,
I will try.   Thanks. 
Japanese National.

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2015, 07:06:05 pm »
Hi from TOKYO.
Yesterday I visited my doc at the hospital and he told me about what is called REMUNE.  What exactly is that?  Could anyone help me understand what it is?   Thank you .
Japanese National.

Offline noregrets

« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2015, 02:48:55 am »
Daniel, you will be fine & you can get through this.  When I initially found out my CDS was around 280 & my biral load was over 300,000.  It took about 9 months of Atripla but my numbers bounced back & I've been feeling better than ever.  MY CD4 is currently 800+ and my viral load is still undetectable.

This is such a wonderful group of people.  I don't come as often as I should (maybe I should change that), but everyone is aways so kind & eager to help.
Joey

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Diagnosed:  Dec. 15, 2011
Jan. 2012:  CD4 - 584, VL - 104,000
July 2012:  CD4 - 435, VL - 265,000
Sept. 2012:  CD4 - 252, VL - 307,000
Started Atripla:  Oct. 2, 2012
Nov. 2012: CD4 - 563, VL - 8,440
Jan. 2013: CD4 - 540, VL - 436
April 2013: CD4 - 369, VL - 109
July 2013: CD4 - 721, VL - Undetectable (finally!)
Nov. 2013: CD4 - 795, VL - 21
Mar. 2014: CD4 - 759, VL - Undetectable
July 2014: CD4 - 586, VL - Undetectable
Dec. 2014: CD4 - 827, VL - Undetectable
July 2015: CD4 - 670, VL - Undetectable
Dec, 2015: CD4 - 855, VL - Undetectable

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2015, 02:55:33 am »
Joey,
Thanks a lot.   Hope things will go well with the guy and that you will be able to visit our country.
Japanese National.

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2015, 11:22:06 pm »
Hi from Japan.
Yesterday one member of our local poz site emailed me asking if it would be Ok to go back to work after being released from the hospital.    He was there for a month and his CD 4 is still 100.   His doc told him that it was up to him.    The guy is worried about the germs and other stuff.    Any advice?  I took three weeks off after leaving the hospital one year ago and there as no problem.
Japanese National.

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2015, 11:26:29 pm »
Sorry.   I mean there was no problem .
Japanese National.

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2015, 01:05:36 pm »
Hi from Japan.
Yesterday one member of our local poz site emailed me asking if it would be Ok to go back to work after being released from the hospital.    He was there for a month and his CD 4 is still 100.   His doc told him that it was up to him.    The guy is worried about the germs and other stuff.    Any advice?  I took three weeks off after leaving the hospital one year ago and there as no problem.

ojo     sayonara  Daniel...I work for five years with a cd4 of 20 to zero, so I don't think this person will have any problems going back to work, if he is going to get sick, he will get sick working or not...tell him to no worry until he has a reason to be worry about...hugs...arigato      ojo

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2015, 04:50:37 pm »
I say it depends on what your friend was in the hospital for and how well he is now that he is out. I left the hospital after PCP, very weak and un-healthy. I stayed at home for quite some time.

but if your friend wasn't ill with something that would suggest precaution, and he feels up to working again, then he might as well go back and give it the "ol' college try". Of course, he should wash his hands frequently, and try to avoid germy people.

omg. I could hardly type all that logical crap. LOL ;D I was so germ-ophobic when I got out of the hospital!! It was horrible! But I was still very sick and so becoming a recluse, a hermit, a shut-in wasn't all that unexpected. Once, when I was in the grocery store, someone sneezed in another aisle. I left my cart of food and literally ran out of the store. I didn't go back to the store for 3 days.  :o ::) Thinking about germs I might have run into today, while at a meeting, is starting to creep me out right now.  :o LOL  ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2015, 07:11:14 pm »
I would say if the person can afford it professionally and personally give resting another month and then go back ... other wise what everyone else said .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2015, 04:45:33 am »
Thanks to TONNY  and JEFF.
Japanese National.

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2015, 04:47:08 am »
Mikie,
Thank you for sharing your story.
Japanese National.

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2015, 03:29:30 am »
Hi.
Today I  had a visit to the hospital.
My cd4 was 300.   Not much difference from last time.

My doctor told me about a man who was a denialist and paassed away last November.  I learned how dangerous it wad to deny and take no meds.
Japanese National.

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2015, 07:54:40 am »

ojo      Hi Daniel, your cd4 will increase little by little, as long as you are above 300 you don't have to worry, just take care of yourself, I do wash my hands all the time, it helps....yes, it's sad, that there are people whom for some reason do not seek treatment, HIV is still a dead sentence for those who don't take meds..hugs ojo

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2015, 07:52:41 pm »
TONNY

Gracious.
Japanese National.

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2015, 07:24:04 am »
I have written too much these days.  Sorry.  The latest about me.    I have been active in the local poz site which is all done in Japanese and  I have been asked to answer questions  by many Japanese poz people.    The info and advice you have given me on this site mean a great deal and  help me a lot in this activity.  SPECIAL thanks to Jeff, leatherman, Zach, Tonny, Andy, mecch, Almost2late, and everyone, too.
Japanese National.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2015, 07:39:40 am »
You are welcome !
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2015, 10:32:32 am »
My cd4 was 300.   Not much difference from last time.
Holding steady? WooHoo!
Now don't look at this in a negative light. ;) Having cd4s above 200 is great and not having them drop is great! While we would all love to have more tcells, more is not neccesarrily better. There's nothing wrong in not gaining any more, especially when your not losing any more.  ;)

My doctor told me about a man who was a denialist and paassed away last November..
some members here are no longer here because they were denialists. :(

I have been asked to answer questions  by many Japanese poz people.
Great Work, Daniel!  :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2015, 11:14:51 am »

ojo     You welcome Daniel, tell your Japanese folks to ask us questions, I'm sure someone in here would speak Japanese, lol..hugs         ojo

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2015, 11:14:07 pm »
THANKS to Jeff, leatherman, and Tonny.

I have watched the YOU TUBE videos about the denialists.
One guy was saying he had vegetable juice instead of medicines.
Just out of curiosity, does anybody know of him and is he still around?
Japanese National.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2015, 11:17:36 pm »
One of our rules on this forum is we do not link to or dispense denialists material … its one of the few things that can get a person banned from the forum the first time they break this particular rule .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2015, 11:21:01 pm »
OK,  Sorry I got it.
Gomennnasai.
Japanese National.

Offline zach

« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2015, 09:49:36 am »
dont go down that road daniel, none of that shit works, those people are dangerous

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2015, 12:31:25 am »
Zach,

Thank you,  daijobu!
I know that adhering to the meds RELIGIOUSLY is of utmost importance.
When I asked my doctor whether I might get PCP again, he said that it would happen if I did not take the meds. 

Japanese National.

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2015, 07:43:25 am »
Zach,

Thank you,  daijobu!
I know that adhering to the meds RELIGIOUSLY is of utmost importance.
When I asked my doctor whether I might get PCP again, he said that it would happen if I did not take the meds. 

ojo       Hola amigo japones...your doctor is right, as long as you take your med/s and your cd4 are above 200, the risk of getting PCP, are zero, I got three episodes of PCP in five years because my cd4 were around zero, now, in the last eight years with cd4 between 300-500 ind I don't ever remember what it feel to have PCP....I've been taking meds for twenty yearsm abd I forgot totake them twice during this 20 years....buy yourself one of those medicine dispenser, that way you don't forget...I take my meds during my breakfast and right after my dinner, if I go out for dinner, my meds go with me, ....check with your doctor if you can take your med/s with grapejuice, I think that's a no, no....arigato      ojo

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #137 on: January 27, 2015, 05:22:23 am »
TONNY amigo de Mexico,
Gracious.
I miss good MEXICAN food.
Japanese National.

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #138 on: January 28, 2015, 07:22:06 pm »
Hi.
One year ago today I was officially told in the hospital that I had AIDS.  It was quite late that I  got to know this site but without it, I would have been mentally finished.  Thank you all.
Japanese National.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #139 on: January 28, 2015, 07:24:03 pm »
Hi.
One year ago today I was officially told in the hospital that I had AIDS.  It was quite late that I  got to know this site but without it, I would have been mentally finished.  Thank you all.

You are now a part of our loving and sometimes dysfunctional family .  ;)
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #140 on: January 28, 2015, 07:46:29 pm »
One year ago today I was officially told in the hospital that I had AIDS.
Happy first AIDSaversary!  ;D ;D ;D

While you might be thinking "why would I ever want to celebrate this day?", think about what this day is in the here-and-now. Today marks a year that you have survived AIDS. Think how happy you'll be, and how little you'll be worrying, four years from now when you celebrate your 5th year of surviving AIDS.  ;D

Congratulations for making it through year one! :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #141 on: January 28, 2015, 08:04:53 pm »
Hi.

ojo     Hi Daniel..for me is a celebration, after my PCP that almost kill me and my cd4 of 20, it's a celebration of having beatten death and start a new life, because I was reborned  that day, and I'm here, celebrating my 20th anniversary, tho, it hasn't been easy, because HIV/AIDS left me legally blind and with neuropathy (part meds and hiv), but I'm still celebrating birthdays, enjoying my loveones, and enjoying life, because, life is still beatiful even living with HIV, so CONGRATULATIONS, for your first years and I hope you keep celebrating lots more...big hug for a new Daniel...(reborn= my name, would you guess what's my real name?)       ojo

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #142 on: January 28, 2015, 08:55:16 pm »
Thank you , Jeff, tonny, and leatherman .
I know this family is sometimes  dysfunctional.  Love it, though.
Japanese National.

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #143 on: January 28, 2015, 09:03:49 pm »

ojo     Just some members, I'm not...do you agree with me?,lol...hugs      ojo

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2015, 01:23:14 am »
Tonny,
You are always nice to me.
Thank you .
Japanese National.

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #145 on: February 04, 2015, 11:01:55 pm »
Hi.
It is afternoon here in Japan.
Since yesterday I  have been a little bit short of breath and now am waiting to be checked at the clinic.   Is it possible to have PCP again? I  feel similar to the way I  did when I  was in hosp.  one year ago.   I am worried.
Japanese National.

Offline AT

• Take your meds, keep your chin up and enjoy life.
« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2015, 11:05:40 pm »
Best wishes. You have our love and let us know the results.

Offline AusShep

« Reply #147 on: February 05, 2015, 12:12:02 am »
I'm sure you'll be fine.  I know what you're talking about though.  A couple of months ago I had a cough and some shortness of breath that totally gave me a pneumonia flashback.  I guess once you've had it the fear (or memory of it at least) never completely goes away when you have certain respiratory symptoms, but PCP won't happen again while your immune system is in good shape.

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #148 on: February 05, 2015, 07:45:42 am »
Hi.
It is afternoon here in Japan.
Since yesterday I  have been a little bit short of breath and now am waiting to be checked at the clinic.   Is it possible to have PCP again? I  feel similar to the way I  did when I  was in hosp.  one year ago.   I am worried.

ojo     Hi Daniel, I hope you are feeling better...anxiety causes to feel shorth of breath...I don't remember you numbers, but I hope its not PCP again...bear hug on your way...arigato      ojo

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2015, 08:49:15 am »
Already tired, AUSHEP, TONNY and everyone,

It was not PCP.  Just a minor cold.  I am relieved and thank you.
Japanese National.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.