Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:17:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 654
Total: 654

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: CTLA receptor involved with slow immune rebound  (Read 6694 times)

Offline bimazek

CTLA receptor involved with slow immune rebound
« on: October 03, 2007, 01:04:23 pm »
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/09 /070930144552.htm

Elevated CTLA-4 expression also correlated with signs of disease progression -- increased viral load and reduced overall CD4 count. While antiviral treatment caused viral loads to drop significantly after treatment began, it resulted in only modest and slow drops in CTLA-4 expression. In vitro tests of the effects of blocking the CTLA-4 molecule improved the function of HIV-specific CD4 cells

I have been writing about ctla on this forum for a year.  i even did research on an anti ctla diet which i found exists, and posted on this.  even if one is on HAART which is essential, and very very important, an anti CTLA diet can help increase cd4 according to studies...

CTLA involved with slow immune system rebound even while on anti virals

This post about CTLA is a great new piece of research

ok I have been researching and reading everything about ctla since aug 2006

do a search on this forum on      ctla      all the posts are mine

i posted this in june about an anti ctla diet i postulated and  researched and found
June
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=13179.0
"i thought i would search for a related receptor CTLA   ...fish oils, EPA DHA Immune Modulating Diet - science evidence of food
in Nutrition & HIV  Re: fish oils, EPA DHA Immune Modulating Diet - science evidence of food by thunter34  ...  i would search for a related receptor CTLA which is very close to ... in function, ... ...  or idea was anything that would work on CTLA might also have an effect on ..."

I posted
June 06, 2007, 07:23:07 PM
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=13179.0
     "CTLA Ipilimumab human antibdy role regulating natural immune responses.
in Research News and Studies  ... CTLA Ipilimumab human antibdy role regulating natural immune responses. by bimazek
 ctla are related but different, like the  .....  on hiv and many other diseases.     ctla was discovered before
...  is a fully human antibody that binds to CTLA-4 (cytotoxic T lymphocyte-associated  ...  ...  responses. The absence or presence of
CTLA-4 can augment or suppress the immune  ...   ...  is designed to block the activity of CTLA-4, thereby sustaining"

also ctla i mentioned here
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=13104.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=12892.0

i posted about it here
june
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=13135.0
"results showing that simultaneous inhibition of FasL and CTLA-4 resulted in a significant increase in the T cell proliferative response"

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=13135.0
here i wrote about a rare bacteria in brazil jungle that when it infects a person it turns off the immune system in a similar way to hiv
and ctla is involved.  i believe i found this bacteria when i searched for ctla  ... i have tens of megabytes of research i have read about ctla
...  find a substance that effects  ctla that may have been hinted at in an  ...

april
l also may be ctla involved i wrote in april
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=11112.0
"we need intense CD8 med research, the switch is called ... on the cd8 cell also may be ctla involved"

february 10 2007
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=8820.0
.  a fully human antibody that fights the
CTLA receptor. CTLA-4 is blamed for the  ...

CTLA is a similar receptor with similar  ...
... .google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&q=anti-ctla+hiv&btnG=Search

it is not an easy task to read science lit and then postulate things that then turn out to be key and pivitol

why the immune system does not rebound  ctla is key new study shows

a small molecule a drug and even diet can effect this and help to bring up the cd4 numbers

i postulate.

and showed by research

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
Re: CTLA receptor involved with slow immune rebound
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 03:19:35 pm »
Oh my.. Bim.. please don't tell me you're going to start a series of articles on CTLA-4 like you did on PD-1... I can't wait to see stuff about CD28 and the infamous B7 family too.. ::)

Milker (who likes salmon so is happy about this)
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Customer

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 04:11:47 pm »

I don't think PD-1 or CTLA nutritional/medical regulation have been proven to help to fight HIV.  Sciencedaily's results were based on in vitro studies. The conclusions are futile. There has been no clinical trials. There are speculations, which may, or may not, be correct. I personally do not have high hopes on these regulatory strategies (PD-1 CTLA).

Offline bimazek

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 03:21:05 pm »
http://www.google.com/search?q=anti-ctla+diet&hl=en&start=10&sa=N

The scientist I talked to at Harvard are excited about discoverying a small molecule, a med, that may effect CTLA

Meanwhile we know we can effect CTLA by diet

so if CD4 counts are suppressed when CTLA is on, and CTLA does not get turned off even during HAART

an anti CTLA diet while on HAART may be benificial would that not be logical?

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:cbhavHFt3SkJ:txspace.tamu.edu/bitstream/1969.1/1535/1/etd-tamu-2004C-NUTR-Ly.pdf+anti-ctla+diet&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=13&gl=us

IMMUNOSUPPRESSIVE DIETARY N-3 POLYUNSATURATED FATTY ACIDS
DIFFERENTIALLY MODULATE COSTIMULATORY REGULATION OF
MURINE CD4
+
T-CELL FUNCTION
A Dissertation
by
LAN H. LY
Submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies of
Texas A&M University
in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY

Consumption of fish oils (FO) enriched with the n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids
(PUFA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), is beneficial to
a variety of inflammatory disorders due, in part, to the alteration of membrane
composition of T-lymphocytes and other immune cells. We previously observed that
down-regulation of proliferation and cytokine synthesis by CD4
+ T-cells in mice fed diets rich in n-3 PUFA was dependent on the involvement of CD28, a co-stimulatory molecule
necessary for T-cell activation. Since the co-receptor homologues, CD28 and CTLA-4,
have opposing effects on T-cell activation, we hypothesized that the balance of
costimulatory and downregulatory properties of CD28 and CTLA-4, respectively, would
be altered by diet.

CHAPTER IV
SUMMARY AND CONCLUSIONS
The 20- and 22-carbon n-3 PUFA are unique lipids in that they possess potent
immunomodulatory activities. In addition, dietary n-3 PUFA have effects on diverse
physiological processes impacting normal health and chronic disease, such as the
regulation of plasma lipid levels (193-196), cardiovascular function (197-199), insulin
action (200, 201), and neuronal development and visual function (202). Ingestion of n-3
PUFA results in their distribution to virtually every cell in the body affecting membrane
composition and function, signaling, and regulation of gene expression (202-204)

Offline Customer

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 04:32:28 pm »
What i would like to hear you acknowledge, Bimazek, is that HIV does not turn off T-cells. HIV only infects T-cells and multiplies within T-cells, but HIV itself does not turn off T-cells through regulatory pathways PD-1 or CTLA.

Turning off the T-cells is coordinated by autoimmune system itself. Why autoimmune system turns off T-cells? You tell me, but there must be a reason to it. I speculate it has to do with exhaustion of immune system or massive loss of CD4-T-cells.

"if CD4 counts are suppressed when CTLA is on, and CTLA does not get turned off even during HAART an anti CTLA diet while on HAART may be benificial would that not be logical?"

You could be right, but i am not assured at all. What if you invoke a wrong kind of response from CD4-T-cells, which will result to more infection and depletion of CD4-T-cells?  I doubt it is possible to fight HIV just by regulating CTLA or PD-1. The fundamental problem is not these pathways. 
I just am basically sceptic about this.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 04:45:28 pm »
omega-3 pu fatty acids EPA and DHA have been proven to be beneficial in many ways for years. Adding those in your diet is a good thing. Just be sure to not overdose and talk to your doctor about any supplement you take.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.