Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:13:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 664
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 649
Total: 649

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: no risk at all, saliva on the eyes?  (Read 13180 times)

Offline leoncito

no risk at all, saliva on the eyes?
« on: December 29, 2007, 02:06:42 pm »
Hi..today ivegot sexual relation with a girl ("protected" vaginal intercourse). Iam a straight guy and i tested negative for Hiv after 3 months since my last sexual relation (before today). Describing the situacion: after one minute of relation i heared that the condom broke(like when the baloon  exploded) and immediately i stop the penetration (almost one second after the condom broke). After that i washed with soup and water.

I know that the incident was risky so i have to test after the 13 weeks. But what i wants to know is the real risk of the situation (extremely rare, very low, low,....). I really apreciated ur help. Thank u

Offline leoncito

Re: Condom broke- real risk?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 03:15:15 pm »
Should i treat with pep?

Offline leoncito

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 04:04:40 pm »
Can anybody help me plz??

Offline OMDM

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 05:20:43 pm »
Hi - from my readings, the likelihood of you getting infected with HIV from having momentary unprotected sex with a woman are negligible at worst.  I've read the odds somewhere on the odds of getting infected from a woman with unprotected intercourse as being 1 in 100,000 attempts or something like that.

I wouldn't worry whatsoever - just keep using protection and perhaps get tested in a month or so to settle your fears.

Incidentally, if, at worst, you did get infected, HIV is no longer certain death as new drugs like Atripla (1 pill per day) will keep you alive indefinitely. I started it last July and within 20 days, my viral load ("VL") went from 105,000 to virtually zero.

Keep us up but stop worrying.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 05:25:03 pm »
OMDM, did Ann or Andy give you permission to post in this forum? Make sure you get there permission before you post in this forum.

Offline leoncito

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 05:27:25 pm »
thank you! another opinion?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 06:02:58 pm »
Leon, your concern is understandable. The good news is that HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. Even IF the woman you were with is HIV+, which you don't know for sure, it is significantly harder to transmit HIV from female to male. This was a very brief, single incident. Until the condom broke it protected you.

Taking all of those factors into consideration the odds are overwhelmingly in your favor against transmission having occured. PEP is absolutely NOT indicated in this situation. Yes, you do need to test at 13 weeks and I expect you will test negative.

In the meantime stay productively busy and the waiting time will pass more quickly than you imagine possible at this point.

Keep us posted on your result. Good luck.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline leoncito

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 06:13:48 pm »
thank u andy! another question, Have u ever hear about an infection under the situation described?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 06:17:30 pm »
I can't think of a single occasion of guy becoming infected from this kind of situation.

By the way, for future reference make sure you are using "fresh" date condoms and that they fit you properly.
Andy Velez

Offline leoncito

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2007, 06:19:30 pm »
thank u andy! now im trying to find mind peace untill the test!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 07:31:21 pm »
Good. Just stay productively busy with other matters and you'll see how it helps.
Andy Velez

Offline leoncito

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 03:11:13 am »
another question, could we say that the risk of this situation is just theorical? coz in the real life infection doesnt happen? formulating the question in other way, the probabilily to be infected is too minute so we r talking just a theorical risk?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 04:55:02 am »
No, it cannot be said to be theoretical.

Offline leoncito

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 03:08:27 pm »
but, is unlikely to be infected for 2-3 seconds of unprotected vaginal insertive sex, right?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 05:13:45 pm »
Yes, it is extremely unlikely that you became infected during that very brief exposure.

I expect you will test negative.
Andy Velez

Offline leoncito

no risk at all, saliva on the eyes?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 08:24:16 am »
Hi,  i  had an incident (i dont know if call this an incident) where somebody who is from some part of africa split a very tiny amount of saliva in my eye while he was talking, I wanna know if there was risk, im worried in the worse of cases maybe was blood in the saliva, who knows.. please quantify my risk. Thank you!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: no risk at all, saliva on the eyes?
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 08:31:54 am »
Leon,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Not only is saliva not infectious, but it also contains over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv and render it unable to infect. You did not have a risk, no matter where the spitter hails from.

No risk.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline leoncito

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 08:37:03 am »
ann, even if there was blood in the saliva? anyways, thank u very much for ur answers!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 08:38:14 am »
Yes Leon, even if there was blood in the saliva, you were not at risk.

MtD

Offline leoncito

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 09:05:41 am »
thanks matt!

Offline leoncito

am I infected?!
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 11:44:47 pm »
Nowadays iam working at a clinical lab. Ten minutes after my co-worker extracted blood to an HIV infected guy, i had realized that i had some blood on my fingers. My concern is that I could get the HIV virus if that blood was from that guy and if i rubbed my eyes during those ten minutes! SHOULD I GET TESTED!? PLEASEE HELP ME!!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 11:47:16 pm by leoncito »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: am I infected?!
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 11:58:57 pm »
Please keep all your thoughts questions and comments in your original thread. This helps us follow your story and give you the most accurate advice.

If you cannot find your original thread, please click the red link I have posted above. Alternatively you can use the "Show own posts" link which appears in the uppermost left hand column on any forum page.

Your questions will not be answered unless you return to your original thread

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and familiarise yourself with the posting guidelines.

MtD

Offline leoncito

Am i Infected!?
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 12:03:24 am »
Nowadays iam working at a clinical lab. Ten minutes after my co-worker extracted blood to an HIV infected guy, i had realized that i had some blood on my fingers. My concern is that I could get the HIV virus if that blood was from that guy and if i rubbed my eyes some moment during those ten minutes! SHOULD I GET TESTED!? PLEASEE HELP ME!!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 12:06:41 am by leoncito »

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 12:49:32 am »
Please read the lessons here on how HIV is and is not transmitted.... if you are going to continue working in a clinical where you will be involved with infectious blood then you really need to educate yourself, otherwise you will be stressing out at every little drop of blood you come in contact with.

You DO NOT need to test over this.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline leoncito

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 12:56:31 am »
even though i rubbed my eyes with the blood-stained hand!? S
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 12:59:40 am by leoncito »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 05:11:36 am »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 07:59:28 am »
You have already been told repeatedly that saliva is not a risk for HIV transmission. Additionally, HIV is a fragile virus and is not transmitted from environmental surfaces including hands. You are worrying needlessly.

At this point I am going to warn you that we are not going to do another cycle with you of back and forths about this issue. You may need to have some conversation with a counselor since you seem to worry a lot about this issue. We can't help you with that in this setting. In any case, if you return here again with this same kind of non-risk you are going to find yourself getting a Time Out from the site. Consider yourself warned about this.

This is not an HIV problem. And while you are it, re-read our lesson on Transmission. There's a link to it in the Welcome thread which opens this section and it gives you all of the basics you need to know.
Andy Velez

Offline leoncito

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2010, 11:44:49 pm »
Hi andy, ann and rod! Its me again. I had a possible HIV exposure scenario. Could you estimate the risk of the follow scene? Yesterday i ve done protected vaginal intercourse. In addition to this, ive received unprotected oral sex from this girl for less than 1 minute. Also, when i was removing the condom, the exterior of the last which had vaginal fluid entered in contact with my pennis urethra.

1- Whats the risk to get infected through receiving unprotected oral sex?!!
2- Whats the risk to get infected due to the removing incident?!
3- Do i need to test for HIV?!

PLEASEE HELP ME!!!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 11:46:40 pm by leoncito »

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2010, 11:53:06 pm »
Congrats on having protective vaginal sex!

None of the other activities you mentioned could put you at risk for HIV. Obviously, having read the "transmissions" lessons and having had multiple conversations regarding saliva, you know the facts re: your first point.

As for fluids when removing the condom, that is not an HIV risk.

As for your getting tested, I always recommend a full STD screening for people with active sex lives at least twice a year. Putting an HIV test into that routine will help you overcome your terror of HIV.

Also, perhaps seeing someone about your reluctance to accept HIV transmission theory might bode well for you.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline leoncito

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 12:02:21 am »
Thank you very much!

However, what if she had sores or gums bleeding in her mouth?! Could be that a risk scenario!?

About the second question, the contact with the "contamined" condom was inmediately after the vaginal intercourse.

In regards to the third question, summing up what did u say, "its not necesary to test for HIV", right?

Thank you again!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 12:07:02 am by leoncito »

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2010, 12:36:56 am »
Nope. Saliva contains over a dozen identified elements which inhibit HIV replication and render in non-viable.

No one has EVER been confirmed to have gotten HIV from receiving oral sex, or from a "contaminated" condom. Such a thing just does not happen.

You do not NEED to be tested for HIV. I ALWAYS suggest a routine test for any sexually active person.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline leoncito

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2010, 09:52:59 am »
Thank u but I am still worried!! WHY!? 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2010, 09:55:46 am »
Leon,

If you cannot let go of your unfounded worries about hiv, I suggest you seek the help of a counsellor or therapist. We cannot help you with that here.

We can only give you the facts of hiv transmission and testing. The fact in your case is that you have not been at risk for hiv infection and you do not need to test over this latest incident.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline leoncito

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2010, 10:08:34 am »
Thank you ann!! i think is just a matter of time. I need a couple of days to find peace of mind! Thanks again ann and jkinatl2!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.