Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 02:14:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773579
  • Total Topics: 66389
  • Online Today: 264
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 142
Total: 144

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: newly positive, how fast to get care?  (Read 10095 times)

Offline plant_sausage

newly positive, how fast to get care?
« on: February 09, 2022, 09:49:51 am »
Bloodwork came back reactive from a routine physical this weekend (I found out because the lab released the results to me before my Dr. even saw them; I was sitting on the toilet checking my email and... yeah.)

Follow-up CD4 (460 and 35%) and VL (~100k) just came back this morning and sounds like this is not a drill. Haven't really had a chance to emotionally process things yet; right now comfort comes from trying to understand it all and to do whatever I can to feel at least slightly in control.

Along those lines, my insurance (US) lists two ID clinics in my area that are in-network. The one my doctor referred me to set me up with an initial appointment seven weeks from now. I think that sucks. But my opinions aside, is this typical and "OK" to defer starting ART that long, or should I try to get in at the other clinic, or even consider paying cash to go out of network so I can just get started?

Just trying to find the line between advocating for myself and being unreasonable.

Offline Matths

Re: newly positive, how fast to get care?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 10:18:58 am »
Hi there, just a brief response because there will be others giving you more detailed advice. Personally, I would not wait 7 weeks for an appointment. Especially not for a first appointment. I would select the ID doctor that you feel most comfortable with, set up an appointment asap and start treatment immediately. There are many reasons to start asap and I believe that in terms of viral load and consequences of untreated HIV infection, every day counts. Best Matt

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 11:53:24 am »
you should check with your state's health dpt (website or phone) for a Ryan White clinic in your area. The federal Ryan White program provides funding for many HIV+ clients and to most clinics that treat HIV. Clinics that accept Ryan White funding have access (funding and prescribing physicians) to provide care quickly to newly diagnosed patients. You should be able to get care at one of these clinics and then stay on or switch to an in-network physician to continue your care.

Waiting two months does seem like too much to me too. As a patient/consumer advocate who has worked with both the North and South Carolina Ryan White programs, one of the measures that they track to evaluate HIV care providers' performances is the time from diagnosis to prescriptions. The goal is to make that time as short as possible.....and 7 weeks is tbh unnecessarily too long.

you didn't mention your state or I'd link to the health dpt there; but just search for "HIV" or "Ryan White" at your state's health dpt website and you should find some contact information for the Ryan White program or a local HIV/Ryan White provider/clinic.

Hope that helps!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline plant_sausage

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 01:50:38 pm »
Thanks, Matt and leatherman. I will definitely work on seeing if I can get into the other clinic sooner (it's a university-based hospital so I thought they might be slower; we'll see.)

I actually live in North Carolina, leatherman. I found this page from the state, but there must be 100 links on that page and it's difficult to parse what is relevant to me. I am over the 300% of federal-poverty income limit, so my understanding is that Ryan White is not for me?

Offline lightalltheway

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 02:33:21 pm »
Hello,

First, i am sorry for your recent diagnose. It is a lot to take in now, but the choice is yours. I feel its a free invitation to a healthier life style and wiser choices, at least for me.

Unfortunately, i am not familiar with the American health care system but rather the English one. My coin about this time frame is a lot to wait for.

Please keep us posted and always remember you are not alone.

Prince

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 07:06:32 pm »
I am over the 300% of federal-poverty income limit, so my understanding is that Ryan White is not for me?
that's right......however, the object of RW associated providers is to stop HIV and that means getting people treated (when you've been undetectable for at least 6 months, you can no longer transmit HIV, thus reducing the spread of the virus).

I would bet the University based clinic is part of the Ryan White program. If you explain to them your situation of not being able to get an appt. with the other physician for 2 months, they *should* be able to help you.

While I'm down here in the CLT area, I have connections with the state Ryan White Program. After you contact the University, if they can't help you and you need some more help, PM me with the area of the state you live in and I'll see who I can reach out to for some help.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 07:14:11 pm »
Unfortunately, i am not familiar with the American health care system
count your blessings. LOL

maybe one day we'll wise up and get a national health care program....instead of handing over bazillions of dollars to insurance and pharmaceutical companies
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Tguid13

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 09:14:01 pm »
I would definitely get started sooner than 7 weeks. Personally, I didn't start processing until I was UD. Then it started to feel way better and at this point only 3 months in, it is something I think about too, too much. There are hard days and good days.

My recommendation is the following: Go to one of those free public health clinics if available in your area and get an STI panel or talk to them about your recent diagnosis. They will get you set up with at least 1 month of meds (mine was 3) and a case worker who will help you navigate insurance and providers. This team is crucial in my opinion to being newly diagnosed. In my experience, these were some of the best people that I've met in my life. Once your case worker gets you signed up for ADAP, Ryan White, etc. (all free services that assist people living with HIV), then you have at least a month - maybe 3 to find a provider that works best for you.

If you have a Vivent Health in your area, they are amazing.

Offline plant_sausage

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2022, 10:47:57 pm »
I got in touch with a bridge counselor at the county health department, and they were helpful chasing down the right folks at the university's ID clinic to process my referral. And now, I have my first appointment early next week! Hooray!

The diagnosis is still a little unreal feeling; I really look forward to starting meds, just so I can feel like I can do something proactive.

Offline Matths

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2022, 05:55:27 am »
Very good news. Best of luck with the appointment. I am glad for you that you were able to manage this so efficiently, best Matt

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.