Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:01:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773293
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 633
Total: 634

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Retiring early - at age 55 in the U.S.  (Read 6656 times)

Offline Bucklandbury

Retiring early - at age 55 in the U.S.
« on: September 09, 2021, 04:20:38 pm »
So prior to getting HIV here in the USA at almost age 51 (yes, depressing, I know), I had planned on retiring early at age 55. Now that I am HIV+, I am wondering how I am going to have to pay for my HIV meds - Biktarvy currently - and any care once I hit age 55 and can retire. My plan used to be that I was going to use my Roth 401(k) money at my current job and use the "rule of 55" to take out the money penalty free prior to being age 59-1/2. My plan allows that where I work. I can live very economically, and my partner and I own our home. We are debt free and otherwise healthy. I am 51, and he is going to be 55 in less than 2 months.

My plan used to be that I was to get healthcare insurance on my own to tide me over from age 55 to 59-1/2, when I will have free and clear access to my rather substantial 401(k), IRA, and HSA accounts. I am lucky that I have invested well - largely in index funds - since I was 22. Plus my partner and I live pretty frugally as I say.

Now that I am HIV+, I am not sure how this all will work. I do not want to work past age 55. Especially now that I am a PLWH. I have private healthcare now thanks to my full-time employment and currently pay $0 for my Biktarvy and medical check-ups. I am continuing to max out my 401(k), Roth IRA, and HSA accounts every year.

Am I nutty in thinking I can still proceed with retiring at 55 as I have described above - just like I was thinking when I was negative?

I won't need Social Security - and Medicare - once I can get those agewise (assuming I do live that long), but I will certainly take them once I can. I did pay into them all these years after all.

I am not a usual case, I understand. Most folks do not save and invest as I have been able to.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 04:26:16 pm by Fagradalsfjal »

Offline Expat1

Re: Retiring early - at age 55 in the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 07:03:48 pm »
Between the Affordable Care Act, ADAP, HIPP, etc.  you should have no problem retiring at the age you wish.  There will be a way to get medical care.  After you retire do you have a pension or are you planning to use 401K or IRAs to fund your retirement?

IF you make too much to qualify for ADAP, you can order meds from India or Thailand.

Are  you planning on remaining where you are or moving?

Start by checking with your local Aids Service Organization to find out income limits.

I retired from work at age 51, no 66 no problems.

Good luck.

Offline Bucklandbury

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 07:44:38 pm »
>> After you retire do you have a pension or are you planning to use 401K or IRAs to fund your retirement?

I have no pension, but I do have a traditional 401(k), Roth IRA, and HSA as I mentioned. I also have a bridge (brokerage) account that should get me from 55 to 59-1/2. As I mentioned, at age 55, my current firm will allow me to invoke the "Rule of 55," whereby I can use the Roth 401(k) money I am putting away now free and clear without penalty. That money is also tax free (it's Roth).

>> IF you make too much to qualify for ADAP, you can order meds from India or Thailand.

I am intrigued by ordering meds from India, but I worry about their not being legit, or getting stiffed. I had read that Biktarvy is sold in India by Gilead Sciences Inc. or its proxy. Whether or not that would be the meds I would get if I ordered would have to be seen. I would sure hope they would be legit!

>> Are  you planning on remaining where you are or moving?

I think we're staying put. I have lost my desire to travel much to be honest. My neuropathy is not good. Sadly, I just got diagnosed in March. That neuropathy started in June. My feet and legs buzz constantly. And my fingers are numbish a lot. I just hope it doesn't get worse.

>> Start by checking with your local Aids Service Organization to find out income limits.

Will do.

Thank you.

Offline BKKKevin

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2021, 11:28:39 am »
IF you make too much to qualify for ADAP, you can order meds from India or Thailand.

How does one order meds from India or Thailand?
Do you have a link to a reliable online seller?

Thanks

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2021, 02:40:57 pm »
Hi Buck,

Sorry about your neuropathy issue, do hope it gets better.

I also retired early in my 50's bc of the aids thing, just didn't want to go through it at work. Health insurance was challenging in Florida bc my pension was too much to qualify for adap, but we managed.

Start by checking with your local Aids Service Organization to find out income limits.
And ☝️ this is probably the best advice you could do for your situation.

After my move to Oregon, this is exactly what I did bc I really did not know how I was going to get my meds and labs done over here.. I was wondering if I made a big mistake moving this far.
So I seeked out help from a local aids organization and a counselor there helped me beyond my expectations.. surprisingly I qualified for the adap assistance in the state as long as I picked a silver healthplan from aca.

Now I don't know how 401k's work but I don't think it matters what you got in it, but what you take out of it each year that could be considered income.. that's what qualifies or disqualifies you for assistance.

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2021, 04:43:22 am »
Have faith, you can retire as planned. 

I retired 3 months before turning 58 (now turning 65 in one week).  I'm sure I have a lot less saved than you do and I've never had any financial problems.  I live alone and don't get any public assistance.  However, my HIV meds are generic, so the cost is only $135/month.  I had Obamacare until this month.  It was free so can't complain.  However, the annual deductible was so high ($8600) that I never reached the limit.  I paid for all medical expenses out of pocket, but I did benefit by getting the insurance company's negotiated rate for services.

Some states have asset limits on ADAP.  Laws change so best to double check w/your state to see if what's specified in the article is still accurate.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/adap-to-pay-for-hiv-prescription-drugs-4116839
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 04:49:45 am by MitchMiller »

Offline Bucklandbury

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 07:43:57 am »
https://www.verywellhealth.com/adap-to-pay-for-hiv-prescription-drugs-4116839

Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I need to look at this site. I would no doubt be taking out more per year than the ADAP limit in my state (Kentucky), but I am OK with paying for it as it would be a tax deduction for me as a medical expense.

It's the med cost I really don't want to absorb. Biktarvy is outrageously expensive.
I wish I could trust buying Taffic from India. I looked at one site a couple of days ago, but they do not take PayPal or credit cards, and I am not keen on buying cryptocurrency (Ethereum) to make the unknown transaction with someone so far away I do not know.

Offline Expat1

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 06:39:08 pm »
The meds from India are used world wide.  Mylan the maker of generic Biktarvy, is the maker of brand name Epipens. 

Also I guess you will buy the obamacare plan for health so the meds are covered by that. 

Another thing.  ADAPs are better in "blue" states than in "red" states.  There are also programs to pay your insurance premiums (HIPPs) and pay copays and deductables.  Again this stuff is state based.

Offline Expat1

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 06:46:37 pm »
Kentucky ADAP is 500% times the federal Poverty limit so $64,400 for 2021.  If your income is that high, I don't think you would have a problem anyway.

Kentucky
The AIDS Drug Assistance Program ( ADAP ) helps ensure that people living with HIV and AIDS who are uninsured and under-insured have access to medication.

Eligibility Criteria
Application Instructions
Formulary
Hepatitis C (HCV) Drug Therapy
Contact Information

Eligibility Criteria:
Household income: no more than 500 percent or of federal poverty level....
https://adap.directory/kentucky#field_eligibility

Offline Bucklandbury

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 06:56:30 pm »
When I retire, I will not have income per se, but I would expect to draw out a goodly amount per year from my healthy retirement savings.

I am assuming retirement funds do count as income in this case...

Kentucky ADAP is 500% times the federal Poverty limit so $64,400 for 2021.  If your income is that high, I don't think you would have a problem anyway.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 07:06:34 pm by Bucklandbury »

Offline Bucklandbury

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 07:36:20 pm »
I will figure it out in a very few years. It looks like I will not have to worry about paying for the med at least.

Thank you, Expat1.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.