Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 15, 2021, 05:18:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 35695
  • Latest: Teeku
Stats
  • Total Posts: 758006
  • Total Topics: 64174
  • Online Today: 349
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 230
Total: 231

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Potential risk? Or nothing too worry about  (Read 647 times)

Offline stellyartois

• Standard
Potential risk? Or nothing too worry about
« on: January 08, 2021, 02:51:28 pm »
Hello there,

I have been taking Prep for a year and a half anyway I stopped around November time because I had a different health issue that put me in hospital, so I had to stop.

I had a negative HIV test on the 11/12/2020. So I restarted my Prep in December. Now recently Iíve had a bit of a stressful time where Iíve been sort of forgetting what Iím doing. So recently in the last 7 days I think I may have missed 2 doses potentially either Saturday/Sunday or Friday/Saturday.

Anyway I met a guy Thursday. We had a bit of ďfunĒ. He was rubbing his penis against my anus and tried to push it in. It was at this point I said, you do ďbarebackĒ? So I said unfortunately due to me not being sure about the accuracy of me taking Prep properly, youíre going to have to wear a condom. He then put one on and fucked me for a bit.

Now, I think my mind is playing overtime a little bit with this. iBase says you can miss two doses on a daily regimen but never more than two. Now I have been taking Prep still today etc. But I need to think whether there is an actual risk or my recent anxieties are creating a fearful situation for nothing.

From what I remember sexually he was defo pretending to fuck me when he was unwrapped so thatís frottage. . Iím a bottom and he didnít really get inside to make me ďmoanĒ as such when doing this frottage. But he did put a bit of spit there and started to to try push his penis in me before I stopped and said, youíll have to wear a condom.
He said something along the lines of Iím nearly in but I said youíll have to wear a condom and he said thatís fine.

So my mind tells me itís nothing to worry about, then thereís the little devil inside me saying youíve missed a few doses of your prep and you canít remember which days you missed them on.

Anyway, itís sensible that I made him wear a condom because of that but I canít help but thinking, do I need PEP?  I rang one of those helplines and I donít think the woman clearly understand my description of the sex but she was saying go to A&E and get PEP. But I think thatís because I was doubting myself in the moment tbh.

Can you guys at the Poz Forums tell me if I need to take PEP? My mind is telling me itís a nothing event, as he didnít truly properly penetrate me. Iíve read other posts and you just know when youíre being properly penetrated. That said, he was rubbing it against my whole with a bit of vigour. But I have taken at least 5 Prep pills in 5 days.

Please get back to me to discuss. Iím currently at around the 30 hour window at the moment.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Potential risk? Or nothing too worry about
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 02:59:06 pm »
Hiya.

Read what you posted, as long as there was no condomless penetration there was no HIV risk.

Missing the two days PrEP, try to avoid doing that but in this instance, it made no difference. If condomless intercourse had happened although still a risk the PrEP would have been providing a layer of HIV protection.

Here's what you need to know to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Continue taking PrEP as an additional layer of HIV protection.

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as Ďsafeí in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the "Do I have HIV?" Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline stellyartois

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 03:14:57 pm »
Hey there,

Thank you for your kind reply. Yeah thatís what I thought. I did ring the nurses at my clinic and they were advising Pep at A&E but I have a feeling they didnít quite get what I was saying properly. Sometimes the description of the sex they automatically thing penetration without a condom. But as far as Iím concerned, the penetration, proper penetration happened with the condom on.

As I said, he did try to tease his penis into my hole and said he was nearly in before I told him he will have to wear a condom but I have been on a daily regimen missing two doses so you would expect to be sort of covered for the event.

What do you think? Does saying ďnearly inĒ count as in. Or is that frottage? It didnít feel like he entered. I think sometimes worry is a vicious circle.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 03:29:44 pm »
I think you are overthinking things after the fact and allowing your fear to create doubts where there is none. However, risk assessments all depend on what you tell me.

If you tell me there was no condomless penetration, just hard rubbing etc and no other sexual acts other then already mentioned = Move on with your life.

If you tell me you had condomless intercourse my answer would be:

Test at 6 weeks post last possible exposure with a blood-drawn HIV antibodies test to know your HIV status. A negative result at that time will rarely ever change and retesting is generally not needed, but, if you wish you can retest for a definite result you can at 3 months post last possible exposure.

Condomless intercourse + taking PrEP into consideration my answer would be: You had a risk, although PrEP is highly effective and part of the PrEP routine includes more frequent screening for HIV & STI's +- every 3 months. I see no reason to test outside of that routine.

Regarding PEP.

it's up-to-you to seek PEP over this encounter or not. PEP is normally for high-risk encounters. It's highly effective when started within 72 hours, if you do start PEP test with a blood-drawn HIV antibodies test 6 weeks post-finishing PEP for a result. This result will rarely ever change. If you wish for peace of mind, you repeat it at 3 months post-finishing PEP for a conclusive result.

Jim
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 03:33:27 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline stellyartois

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 04:02:32 pm »
Iíll give it some consideration. The only other sexual act we did was me giving him a blowjob for a period of time and him ejaculating over me which carries zero risk obviously.

My fears are probably compounded by the fact heís a married man who was prepared to bareback. Thatís probably why I made him wear a condom. But he knows Iím on prep so probably thought it would be okay but I wasnít willing to do that.

Would me douching cause any difference in the hard rubbing etc? I donít think he dipped either. To be fair I probably would have yelped since I havenít had sex since October to be fair.

Sometimes after a sex act i over think it but I do think I took the necessary precautions in this case and was quite sensible.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 04:38:52 pm »
The only other sexual act we did was me giving him a blowjob for a period of time and him ejaculating over me which carries zero risk obviously.

Sure ejaculating over you no HIV risk, as for the blowjob the mouth simply lacks route (Cells to infect) for HIV, and even if there was damage to your mouth creating a possible route than saliva & air also act to neutralize HIV by damaging the receptors needed to infect human cells.

All in all, giving a blowjob is such a minute concern with regards to HIV that we don't even recommend specifically testing over it. Just get tested whenever you are next normally due a routine check-up.

My fears are probably compounded by the fact heís a married man who was prepared to bareback. Thatís probably why I made him wear a condom

What he was willing to do make no difference, but you know that.

Would me douching cause any difference in the hard rubbing etc? I donít think he dipped either. To be fair I probably would have yelped since I havenít had sex since October to be fair.

Sometimes after a sex act i over think it but I do think I took the necessary precautions in this case and was quite sensible.

Douching would make no difference and as for dipping, I call that condomless intercourse and an HIV risk but that did not happen.

Try not to overthink things.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline stellyartois

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 04:49:46 pm »
You do have a point.

I mean, I have been taking Prep since mid-December so I've taken it for 21 days and probably, as I say, missed a few doses. There will be some level of protection.

I have no idea what made the nurse push for me to go and get PEP. Perhaps things weren't explained very well on the phone or maybe my communication wasn't very good on explaining the type of sex that took place. I did tell her I asked him to put on a condom before we penetrated.

As I said, the only thing that makes me concerned is him saying 'I'm nearly in' as I told him to stop and made him put a condom on. But again, by definition, that's a loose term as all I felt was a bit of pushing before I asked him to put a condom on.

I'm not overly concerned. As you can tell when 'someone is truly in you' but the pushing and shoving and the nurse being overly cautious has probably compounded my worry a little bit. But I guess legally sometimes they have an obligation to 'tell you what to do'.

What do you think?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 04:58:26 pm »
Can't tell you what the nurse was thinking. I've met doctors that mistakenly think shaking hands gives you aids and nurses that think unclean thoughts give you STI's, I laugh but it's not funny.

Anyhow, as said as long as there was no condomless penetration there was no HIV risk. Missing the two days PrEP, try to avoid doing that but in this instance, it made no difference. If condomless intercourse had happened although still a risk the PrEP would have been providing a layer of HIV protection.

Relax, move on with your life and test whenever next normally due is what I think.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline stellyartois

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 05:04:42 pm »
Yeah, I totally agree with you. She was asking me if I go to saunas and chemsex parties. The nurse told the doctor about me missing two days Prep and I think thatís what they were concerned about the most and advising PEP. But as I said, he didnít penetrate me properly with no condom on.

THT advised itís probably not a risk and youíre advising the same based on the information. I was actually surprised the nurse came back and was recommending A&E for PEP.

I sure felt penetrated with a condom on, thatís for sure. So you know the difference I guess.

Out of curiosity, my clinic uses iBase for information. IBase advise that you can miss one-two doses a week and still be covered, is this true? I thought it was only one dose you could miss.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 05:28:20 pm »
Out of curiosity, my clinic uses iBase for information. IBase advise that you can miss one-two doses a week and still be covered, is this true? I thought it was only one dose you could miss.

As said don't make it a habit. However, the levels of the drug built up in the tissue and blood are not going to drop off after missing the weekend dose and taking it again for 4 days.

You could also consider on-demand prep if you are having sex less frequent https://i-base.info/guides/prep/real-life-examples-for-on-demand-dosing
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline stellyartois

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 05:50:31 pm »
I need a pill capsule box ideally.

Iíve probably missed the odd dose here and there. Iím not entirely sure Iíve even missed two days in a row but to be on the safe side I made the guy wear a condom.

As I said, the ďnearly inĒ thing just got into my head.

Offline stellyartois

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2021, 09:21:55 am »
I think sometimes the less people you tell the better. Terrence Higgins Trust donít seem worried at all about my exposure. They said itís fine to miss a couple of Prep pills occasionally.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2021, 09:30:51 am »
To be Frank I don't care what THT says.

Although sounds like they told you the same as the levels of the drug built up in the tissue and blood are not going to drop off after missing the weekend dose and taking it again for 4 days.

Anyhow, I'm not sure why you are focused on this?,The only minute risk was given a blowjob regardless of Prep and it does not warrant testing over.

Move on with your life.

Use condoms for any intercourse, keep taking PrEP as an additional layer of HIV prevention and test routinely

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline stellyartois

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2021, 09:51:19 am »
I guess Iím just a worry wart but I mean Iíve taken much worse risks, such as taking loads on Prep so this as you say wasnít even penetration. I think because Iím having a stressful time Iím absolutely overthinking it.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2021 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.