Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2021, 01:16:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 760119
  • Total Topics: 64487
  • Online Today: 231
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 227
Total: 230

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Question for Dovato users....  (Read 2197 times)

Offline skeebo1969

Question for Dovato users....
« on: November 22, 2020, 12:42:37 pm »
  Hello folks, I hope all is well.

I recently ran into some issues with co pay assistance in regards to my previous med, Odefsey.  I went back on an old combo short term which was Truvada and Viramune. 

I was immediately reminded why I initially switched to Odefsey.  I don't know which one does it, but one of the meds in the combo of Viramune and Truvada causes my diverticulitus to flare up badly.  I immediately started having issues again.

So my doctor has now switched me to Dovato.  While I had sleep issues initially when I started it, those have subsided and I now sleep fine on it.

My question pertains to a beneficial side effect I have heard of stemming from Dovato use and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced it.  That being in regards to cholesterol levels and Dovato affecting them in a positive, lowering way.

I've tried to find info about it and there really is none, or at least I can't find it anyways.  I personally can't attest to it being fact as I've only been on it a few weeks.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: Question for Dovato users....
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 03:01:59 pm »
My Cholesterol levels did come down a bit when I switched to Dovato last December.  My Triglycerides really plummeted -- it was averaging about 160 the last few years, but came down to the 50-60 range since the switch.

I don't think it is the Dovato that caused my decreases, rather I think it was getting off the Atripla and Reyataz/Norvir regimen I'd been on since 2006.

When I switched, I decided to take the Dovato in the morning, because I heard it could cause sleep issues -- luckily, I've not really experienced any of that!!  I am very happy with the switch -- less pill, fewer meds and less out of pocket costs for me (actually, none with the Co-pay card).

Mike

Offline Matths

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 06:56:57 pm »
Hi, I personally have been on Dovato now since it became available in May 2019, after taking Triumeq for a few weeks when I was diagnosed in April. It works very well for me, VL <20. No side effects. I also take it in the morning. My metabolic profile is all within the normal range. Clinical trials in patients who switched to Dovato (Tango trial) show improvements in lipid levels. Hope this helps, best Matt

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 10:55:26 pm »
My Cholesterol levels did come down a bit when I switched to Dovato last December.  My Triglycerides really plummeted -- it was averaging about 160 the last few years, but came down to the 50-60 range since the switch.

I don't think it is the Dovato that caused my decreases, rather I think it was getting off the Atripla and Reyataz/Norvir regimen I'd been on since 2006.

When I switched, I decided to take the Dovato in the morning, because I heard it could cause sleep issues -- luckily, I've not really experienced any of that!!  I am very happy with the switch -- less pill, fewer meds and less out of pocket costs for me (actually, none with the Co-pay card).

Mike

Hi, I personally have been on Dovato now since it became available in May 2019, after taking Triumeq for a few weeks when I was diagnosed in April. It works very well for me, VL <20. No side effects. I also take it in the morning. My metabolic profile is all within the normal range. Clinical trials in patients who switched to Dovato (Tango trial) show improvements in lipid levels. Hope this helps, best Matt

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses.  I am actually really happy with this med...

Offline Mindless

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 02:24:34 am »
Hello guys,

reading your comments is encouraging, I'm thinking to switch to Dovato (well, the 2 pills generic version that should be available where I live). I'm currently on generic Complera and the food requirement is quite difficult to d al with.
Also, I like the idea of less meds (2 instead of 3) with much less risk of interactions with other meds I take for other conditions.

I'm currently taking ART after dinner because that fits better my life routine but I read that DGT may cause insomnia which is why some suggest to take it in the morning. Not sure what to do, switching meds is already a big change for me, bringing up some anxiety, so I feel somehow easier to keep my evening routine.

Sorry for the OT, I guess I just needed to vent some anxiety

Hugs

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 06:43:34 am »
@all.

Reminder to please provide hyperlinked references for health/medical/scientific information provided.

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Matths

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 07:36:30 am »
Thank you Jim for the reminder. Please find the link to the Tango study results from a peer reviewed journal:

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/71/8/1920/5697294

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 08:14:44 am »
@op

Was cholesterol currently a concern?

While I had sleep issues initially when I started it, those have subsided and I now sleep fine on it.

My question pertains to a beneficial side effect I have heard of stemming from Dovato use and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced it.  That being in regards to cholesterol levels and Dovato affecting them in a positive, lowering way.

I've tried to find info about it and there really is none, or at least I can't find it anyways.  I personally can't attest to it being fact as I've only been on it a few weeks.

Glad to hear the sleep issues have subsided, the DTG component is known for this.  https://www.poz.com/article/morning-dosing-tivicay-may-ease-insomnia-side-effect

Odefsey contains TAF and before that, you were taking TDF. Switching from TDF to TAF there is some evidence cholesterol may increase.

https://www.poz.com/article/switching-new-tenofovir-tied-higher-ldl-cholesterol
https://www.poz.com/article/switching-back-older-tenofovir-improves-lipid-levels

Switching from certain meds to DTG based regimes have shown improvements in cholesterol. There was also a head to head on Truimeg containing DTG vs Biktarvy, Biktarvy that contains the newer TAF, Biktarvy arm had higher cholesterol levels reported, there are other examples like when switching from boosted PI to DTG based combinations over the years.

DTG is not everyone's cup of tea but sounds like it's going well for you so far and I hope you don't have a return of the diverticulitis and that the cholesterol remains good or improves if it was a concern.  :)

Jim

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25637061/
changes of lipid levels in treatment-naive, HIV-1-infected adults treated with dolutegravir vs. efavirenz, raltegravir, and ritonavir-boosted darunavir-based regimens over 48 weeks
https://www.aidsmap.com/news/aug-2017/switch-boosted-protease-inhibitor-dolutegravir-reduces-lipids-people-hiv-higher-risk
https://journals.lww.com/aidsonline/fulltext/2017/11280/switching_from_a_ritonavir_boosted_protease.8.aspx
Truimeg vs Biktarvy (TAF) https://www.aidsmap.com/news/oct-2018/studies-confirm-long-term-effectiveness-new-single-tablet-regimens
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 08:49:38 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Online virgo313

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 11:39:41 am »
Hi Mindless,

Why not maintain the same time if u decide to switch meds & see what happens first.
Maybe you can tolerate or there could be no effect.
RVD Nov 2015. VL --> Log 5.32 HAART on 23/11/15
TDF+FTC+EFV / Chemo KS - 25/11/15 - 20/01/16.
CD4 - 4 (3/11/15) / VL - 225,000

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 11:41:23 am »
Thank you Jim for the reminder. Please find the link to the Tango study results from a peer reviewed journal:

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/71/8/1920/5697294

Thanks Matths for the link, much appreciated.

@op

Was cholesterol currently a concern?

Glad to hear the sleep issues have subsided, the DTG component is known for this.  https://www.poz.com/article/morning-dosing-tivicay-may-ease-insomnia-side-effect

Odefsey contains TAF and before that, you were taking TDF. Switching from TDF to TAF there is some evidence cholesterol may increase.

https://www.poz.com/article/switching-new-tenofovir-tied-higher-ldl-cholesterol
https://www.poz.com/article/switching-back-older-tenofovir-improves-lipid-levels

Switching from certain meds to DTG based regimes have shown improvements in cholesterol. There was also a head to head on Truimeg containing DTG vs Biktarvy, Biktarvy that contains the newer TAF, Biktarvy arm had higher cholesterol levels reported, there are other examples like when switching from boosted PI to DTG based combinations over the years.

DTG is not everyone's cup of tea but sounds like it's going well for you so far and I hope you don't have a return of the diverticulitis and that the cholesterol remains good or improves if it was a concern.  :)

Jim

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25637061/
changes of lipid levels in treatment-naive, HIV-1-infected adults treated with dolutegravir vs. efavirenz, raltegravir, and ritonavir-boosted darunavir-based regimens over 48 weeks
https://www.aidsmap.com/news/aug-2017/switch-boosted-protease-inhibitor-dolutegravir-reduces-lipids-people-hiv-higher-risk
https://journals.lww.com/aidsonline/fulltext/2017/11280/switching_from_a_ritonavir_boosted_protease.8.aspx
Truimeg vs Biktarvy (TAF) https://www.aidsmap.com/news/oct-2018/studies-confirm-long-term-effectiveness-new-single-tablet-regimens

Hi Jim,

Yes, as of late my cholesterol has become a concern for my doctor and I.  She was holding off a bit in terms of putting me on meds for it until I lost some weight.  I went from 165 to 205 in the last 8 months, food just started tasting way too good. ;D

When I ran into copay assistance issues and could not afford the $800 a month for Odefey she stated the option of Dovato and also suggested it could benefit my fast climbing cholesterol.  It still wasn't high enough for drastic measures yet but it was, like I said, reason for concern levels.

I am 51 now, family history dictates problems with lipids anyways, but if I could extend the lack of needing meds for it that would be great.   I was just curious to hear thoughts on it really...

Thanks for the response, I hope all is well.

Thomas

Offline Mindless

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 08:38:07 am »
Hi Mindless,

Why not maintain the same time if u decide to switch meds & see what happens first.
Maybe you can tolerate or there could be no effect.

Hi Virgo,

thanks so much for your answer. That definitely makes sense, I'll probably do that. I'm planning to buy the meds in the few next days and then start when I feel comfortable. Curious to see the effect they'll have on me but also a little anxious. My trusted doc said the switch is safe but I don't have resistance tests pre-ART start and he said my VL is too low to do it now. Anyways, based on my previous ART history (Atripla, Complera, Stribild and back to Complera), he said he's reasonably sure there will be no resistance issues.

Hugs

Offline daveR

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 07:28:08 pm »
Hi Mindless

Could you please keep us in the loop on this, costs, side effects and test results. Like you I take the two pill form of Complera and would like to get away from the food requirements. When I discussed it with my Doctor she was suggesting older regimes, didn't even consider Dovato as on option.

Dave

Offline Mindless

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2020, 10:13:24 am »
Hi Mindless

Could you please keep us in the loop on this, costs, side effects and test results. Like you I take the two pill form of Complera and would like to get away from the food requirements. When I discussed it with my Doctor she was suggesting older regimes, didn't even consider Dovato as on option.

Dave

Hi Dave, sure I will. First thing is to verify that the generic meds are actually available at TRCARC. They have them on their price list online but I never checked actual availability before.
BTW, my doctor was pushing me towards Biktarvy (which is now also available at TRCARC and it's only 1 pill) but I explained to him my will to reduce the nr of meds. He was also candid with me and admitted he's no previous experience with this combo but eventually agreed with me that this is a worth a try.

I'm planning to start soon, fingers crossed.

Hugs

Offline TGun

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2020, 11:15:19 am »
does dovato cause weight gain issues like those weve all found with genvoya and biktarvy????   can't seem to shed the 20-25 lb gain I attained after starting those drugs...  would a switch to Dovato help???

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2020, 04:55:53 pm »
does dovato cause weight gain issues like those weve all found with genvoya and biktarvy????   can't seem to shed the 20-25 lb gain I attained after starting those drugs...  would a switch to Dovato help???

I am not sure.  One thing I do know is that I have a lot more energy since switching to it.  This is probably the best I have felt since being diagnosed 16 years ago.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2020, 06:00:59 pm »
I'm on Triumeq or the semi-generic version (Tivicay/Epzicom). I tried to get my doctor to switch me to Dovato or the generic version of that, but she is reluctant to do so bc she thinks its risky since my cd4's hover between 200's and 300's. But I have remained U for the past 3 years.

Personally I think she's being cautious bc it's a fairly new combo. I will speak to her again about switching me. I  just think if I could eliminate the abacavir component, it's less stress on my liver and kidneys.. and I'm only getting older.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2021 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.