Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2020, 05:10:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 757210
  • Total Topics: 64056
  • Online Today: 277
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 160
Total: 160

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Very dry skin (Xerosis?) due to HIV or ART or both? Please help me! :(  (Read 420 times)

Offline impiana

Dear All,

Hope you all are doing fine there.

I have some problem that i want to share and hope to get some input from yall if you hve some suggestion to share.

U see, im brown asian age 27 and i have a very dry skin... i hav the pic but i dont know how to attach it here...

My VL got undetected after 1 month starting my ART treatment Dolutegravir+Tenofovir+emtricitabine. That was about 4 years ago. My CD at that time was around 400 and now my CD4 around 900.

Apart from that i also got Hepatitis B and C.

Hepatitis C is cured. But not for B.

Liver function test is normal, did fibroscan and result was stage F1 fibrosis.

it seems my skin condition getting worsen.

I have tried:
- change to oil based soap for shower (Eucerin oil shower and Loccitane Oil)
- put on cetaphil moisturizer lotion
- bought air humidifier
- drink enuf water
- drink collagen peptides
- had vitamin C injection and also other multivitamins + collagen ever month.
- consulted with my HIV consultant, and he gave a aqua cream

anyone else having similar experience? what did you do to overcome this problem.

I really dont want my skin to get worst... :( guys please help me

I think the rootcase problem is from internal factor (inside body), not external environment which need to be address.

i dont know what else should i try and do.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 05:15:50 am by impiana »

Offline Loa111

Re: Very dry skin (Xerosis?) due to HIV or ART or both? Please help me! :(
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 07:11:11 am »
Since I started treatment, my face has been reddish with dry skin. Iím white European with fair skin. Iíve been to a dermatologist and also pharmacist at the ID clinic told me to use moisturiser and they didnít suggest at all thatís the dry skin is due to treatment etc. In fact they werenít worried at all about it.

Iím not really a face cream type of guy lol so I rarely use the moisturiser which is a bit silly of me I suppose.

Point is the redness Dry skin seems to have some when when I started treatment, it could be a coincidence?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 07:37:54 am »
Hiya,

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about the dry skin.

I've had my share of skin issues including dry skin lasting years at times. It's not very pleasant.  Although for me, it was never related to the meds, finding the causes was always a pain in the ass.

All I can say is keep working with the doc but see a dermatologist if you can.
Keep us posted.

Best, Jim 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 07:44:10 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Grendal

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 11:22:42 am »
Sebamed soap (green bar) and Aquaphor cream seemed to help me the most.  My doc wasnít much help.

Offline impiana

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 03:02:47 pm »
Hiya,

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about the dry skin.

I've had my share of skin issues including dry skin lasting years at times. It's not very pleasant.  Although for me, it was never related to the meds, finding the causes was always a pain in the ass.

All I can say is keep working with the doc but see a dermatologist if you can.
Keep us posted.

Best, Jim

Hey Jim,

Apologize for my posting in the wrong thread. Thanks for moved it to the right one.

Thanks for the advice. I already informed my ID doctor numerous time but every time i raised my concern, he'll just give me another bottle of Aqua cream... hahaha... it seems he doesn't really care much about my skin condition... maybe he focusses only to treat my HIV and Hepatitis co-infection and would not care much on my skin condition... i feel like my body is aging real fast.

I think you are right, i should start to seek for dermatologist.

Offline impiana

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 03:06:50 pm »
Since I started treatment, my face has been reddish with dry skin. Iím white European with fair skin. Iíve been to a dermatologist and also pharmacist at the ID clinic told me to use moisturiser and they didnít suggest at all thatís the dry skin is due to treatment etc. In fact they werenít worried at all about it.

Iím not really a face cream type of guy lol so I rarely use the moisturiser which is a bit silly of me I suppose.

Point is the redness Dry skin seems to have some when when I started treatment, it could be a coincidence?

yeah i had similar experience like you, they just weren't worried at all about the skin condition...

may i know what kind of ART are u taking currently?

i think HIV or the medicine or both really intervene with our body natural metabolism...

Sebamed soap (green bar) and Aquaphor cream seemed to help me the most.  My doc wasnít much help.

Thank you for your suggestion. Ive tried Aquaphor before but never Sebamed.
Perhaps i can try that too. Im looking for Cereve lotion, heard a good review about it. let see...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 03:09:53 pm by impiana »

Offline Fareast4116

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 03:38:00 am »
I'm on Atripla (generic) and can confirm many degree of dryness all over my body. My face and lips are prone to flaking now so I've bumped up my routine. And I'm pretty sure it was the ARV causing it although I can't find any evidence to point to it. I'm using sulphur and salicylic acid soap to manage my back acne though.

Dry eyes and dry mouth seems to be a part of me now. Sigh.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2020, 06:03:01 am »
Hey Jim,

Apologize for my posting in the wrong thread. Thanks for moved it to the right one.

Thanks for the advice. I already informed my ID doctor numerous time but every time i raised my concern, he'll just give me another bottle of Aqua cream... hahaha... it seems he doesn't really care much about my skin condition... maybe he focusses only to treat my HIV and Hepatitis co-infection and would not care much on my skin condition... i feel like my body is aging real fast.

I think you are right, i should start to seek for dermatologist.

You're welcome.

The dermatologist might be a good move if nothing else but just to confirm it's something else and to get expert advice. Anyhow, wish you all the best.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 06:08:10 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Loa111

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 08:39:08 am »

may i know what kind of ART are u taking currently?

Tivicay + Descovy for me plus I was on strong antibiotics for over 2 years due to advanced case. I thought the antibiotics might have cause it but Iím off them several months this now and no difference.

Itís not big deal to me just a minor thing but I did have lovely pure skin before this. Maybe itís just me getting older. I am of the opinion getting real sick with advanced hiv (aids) then recovery has aged me in general the last few years. I just donít have the zap and spark in me before it kicked in.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.