Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 03:13:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 35553
  • Latest: Heart
Stats
  • Total Posts: 756700
  • Total Topics: 63991
  • Online Today: 254
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 224
Total: 224

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Possible Exposure to HIV  (Read 343 times)

Offline Loadingme

• Standard
Possible Exposure to HIV
« on: October 16, 2020, 05:13:39 pm »
Iím a firefighter paramedic who 14 days ended up having a dirty needle stick on a 27 year old patient who admitted to me she smokes crack but does not use needles. I ended up attempting an IV on the patient without any luck and when I went to retract the needle it malfunctioned and poked me right below my middle finger. Minimal bleeding at the site but was unable to watch my hands right away since I was still transporting the patient. All I could use was an alcohol prep.

I report it to my supervisor and the patient agreed to get tested. Her results came back negative for HIV, Hep A & B which helped calm down my nerves but now I started worrying again. Itís been fourteen days and my left armpit has swollen. Itís looks to be my lymph nodes and I know itís swollen because I have compared to with my right armpit and have seen my doctor which he confirmed it to be swollen. I havenít really had any other symptoms expect just worry and the swollen lymph nodes under my left armpit.

Iím concerned this is related to HIV because whenever I got sick, my lymph nodes have never swelled. I mean never. So this is very alarming to me. I was tested the day of the exposure and it came back negative.

Now itís a waiting game until 2 months to be tested again.

I guess my question would be. Since the patient tested negative, what are my chances? Could she have had an Acute infection that was undetectable at the time? Iím beyond worried. I just donít know what to do and every time I do trying to calm down I feel my swollen left armpit and canít help but think about it all over again.

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
Re: Possible Exposure to HIV
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 05:31:11 pm »
Relax, it is highly unlikely that you contracted the HIV from the incident you have described.

Incidents like the one you describe (healthcare worker stuck with needle after the needle entered vein of person of unknown status) do happen, but, fortunately, very rarely.  Most incidents of contraction of the virus through a needle is from backwash of blood from an infected person to another through shared "works" of HIV-infected intravenous drug abusers.

Yes, it is possible, but also highly unlikely, that the involved other party in your incident has not developed HIV-antibodies from a recent infection, but it certainly is very good news that she tested negative at the time.

Many HIV experts recommend that testing for HIV-antibodies be conducted six weeks after the concerning event, then at 13 weeks past for the confirmation of the six week results.

Continue to work with your healthcare provider to determine the reason for your symptoms, which could be the result of many non-HIV related causes.

Also, continue to work with your healthcare provider until your HIV-antibody test is considered to be conclusively negative, which I fully expect.

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Loadingme

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 06:22:58 pm »
Thank you sir for replying to my post.

I am not trying to sound rude at all. Please do not misunderstand me because I really do appreciate you taking the time to even read my post and replying. It does mean a lot.

While yes the patient tested negative on the test at the hospital which Iím not sure which test they performed for the panel. However, depending on when the patient could very well of contracted the virus can play a role on the results, can it not? For example if she contracted the virus letís say three weeks prior to the event; this could skew the results and even worse make her viral load higher which causes a greater risk to me contracting the virus especially since she smokes crack. There is no telling how she smokes it and if she shares and she also has tattoos. Who knows how sanitized those tattoo processes were.

While I am going to keep steady on the process and hope for the best. I have a strong feeling I have this virus and I hate to say it, Iím not sure how well Iíll be able to handle the news. Itís just seems too much after 14 days I developed a swollen lymph node in my armpit and this has never happened to me. On top of that this is an early sign of Acute HIV infection.

Thank you for your time. I really do appreciate it.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 01:21:36 am »
Hiya,

I understand the concern and, I'm sorry to hear that you are stressing about this. 

Although understandable why you might be looking at the patient, it's not helpful.  HIV affects people from all walks of life, sweet old granny down the road could be living with HIV from a one-time sex exposure whilst the lady in question could be HIV negative.

she also has tattoos. Who knows how sanitized those tattoo processes wer

Stop, this is irrational and it's fear getting the better of you, stop trying to judge her risks. Fact is there are no documented cases of HIV transmission through tattooing.

While I am going to keep steady on the process and hope for the best. I have a strong feeling I have this virus and I hate to say it, Iím not sure how well Iíll be able to handle the news.

Yes, the patient in question could be in the window period.

However, the estimated number of HIV transmissions from occupational needlestick injuries is about 100. 58 confirmed in the USA with only one since 1999, 5 in the UK. Yet, the number of occupational needlestick injuries per year globally is over 3 million.

The risk is more for other viruses, not HIV. I suspect you will be fine, however, follow protocol and test to confirm that.

Itís just seems too much after 14 days I developed a swollen lymph node in my armpit and this has never happened to me.

I am sure it has, just you were not focused, on your body like you are now and didn't notice it. Lymph nodes swell all the time for many far more common reasons, stop touching it if you have been and let your healthcare provided take a look.

In the meantime try not to focus on HIV, live your life as normal, test when due to confirm your HIV negative status. This will not be the last time you have a needlestick injury.

Best,

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the "Do I have HIV?" Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Loadingme

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 06:27:50 am »
Hello sir,

Thank you for kindly responding to my post sir. It does mean a lot. Thank you. Honestly sir Iím probably going to be stressing about this for all 6 months or until these symptoms fade away. I didnít want to make it sound like I was targeting the patient or anything. That was not my intention and I apologize for that if it came off that way. I was just looking at it as she does drugs (crack). Advised she smokes it but does not use needles. Even though she doesnít use needles, she can still be sharing the pipe and this could potentially just be as bad.

Thatís what is scaring me most. Having a strong feeling that she is in the window period. The fact that she tested negative has the healthcare provider advise me not to take the post exposure HIV medications. Now Iím worried that since I didnít take those medications, this could have been one of the biggest mistakes I have ever done related to a medical decision.

Thank you for the statistics. While you are not wrong at all and I really do appreciate it. I guess I look at it like yes it seems ďrareĒ but it only takes one exposure. Plus how many needle sticks injuries truly have gone unreported and ended up contracting a virus. Sounds insane but I guarantee there are people out there who have done this.

While yes lymph nodes swell for many reasons. This one was hrs to ignore. I just woke up from a shift at work and went to take a shower and noticed I was having some pain in my arm pit area. This led me to just feel around it. I noticed swelling upon palpation. My right armpit was fine. Still to this day I can feel the swelling just by sitting down and relaxing. I went to my healthcare provider yesterday and he checked out and said there is swelling but he was unable to tell if it was lymph nodes or not. He wants me to get an ultra sound done. This really didnít have my anxiety at all about this issue. He couldnít tell me if it was lymph nodes or not.

Again thank you sir for the kind words and I am doing my very best to try not think about it. I guess my biggest worry is trying to accept that it is a possibility and how can I live my life knowing this happens to me. Thatís what Iím struggling with because growing up HIV was literally the only disease that ever terrified me, and by terrified I mean full blown panic attacks. Itís crazy, I know. I just donít know why this virus was only one that ever scared me. Now that I may have it makes me depressed. I just donít know how I could function like I use too if I end up HIV positive.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 06:46:10 am »
Hiya,

As mentioned the patient's risk profile is irrelevant, it's just leading you to overthink things and in a very skewed manner, like about tattoo and other non-sense. I understand it's not with intent and comes from fear.

Now to be clear for the sake of the risk assesment, we always presume the person you were in contact with is living with HIV. The test result she had did not influence my answer one bit. After 40 years if this route was more common, we would know as there would be more cases, 0 cases in the last 21 years post more accurate/common analysis capabilities says something ;), even if the odd case did slip through the net as you are suggesting.

It is extremely rare to the point of nearly non-existent for transmission to occur the way you fear, you have greater odds of being struck and killed by lightning. I am sure there are far riskier things you have done, do or experience in your life and within your line of work  ;)

I wish you well, test when due to confirm however suspect you are fine.

If you keep focusing on this and can't put the fear behind you, I would suggest you consider talking to someone to help you through this. Odds are it's not going to be the last time you have an incident like this in your line of work and being able to put things in perspective and cope with the emotional stress is important.

Best, Jim
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 06:52:54 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.