Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 26, 2020, 08:39:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 756230
  • Total Topics: 63930
  • Online Today: 265
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 206
Total: 208

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Poor Quality State Healthcare in Sugar Land, Texas,NP nurse  (Read 561 times)

Offline Patient700000

Poor Quality State Healthcare in Sugar Land, Texas,NP nurse
« on: September 16, 2020, 12:07:41 am »
I do not know where to even start,the state provided healthcare I have been receiving from this location for the last 5 years seems more like attempted murder than care.Today was my third round with another drug interaction,I am becoming woke to the fact that these "nurse practitioners"are intentionally giving me drugs that are interacting with my meds.I am having signs of acidosis and I tell them and they ignore me,very painful!Current issue is beta blocker causing heart palpitations  that i found by web search not to eat bananas with(heart issues started two years ago after I was prescribed Hydroxyzine HCL, the nurse insisted I take it.I have found out it causes heart issues/failure when mixed with hiv medication...When I first started ART i was given Genvoya and was told to not eat with it,due to improper advice it took me 3.5 yrs to become undetectable with strict med taking schedule to the minute.This clinic knows better they specialize in hiv.Should I seek legal help for medical malpractice? This is not negligence this is intent!HELP!!!!   

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Poor Quality State Healthcare in Sugar Land, Texas,NP nurse
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 12:31:19 am »
Hiya,

Sorry to hear that you are having issues with the quality of care provided.

I would change healthcare provider if possible and seek medical advice from a doctor. One thing I always do is check for interactions myself before taking meds using drugs.com and with the pharmacist.

Best, Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Patient700000

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 01:12:22 am »
Hi Jim,
Very good advice,I am learning the hard way and moving forward I will always cross check online!I should have moved away from this hate filled city 1000yrs ago but one thing it has done is made me stronger,and now I am too exhausted to get out of bed much less move states.I am so tired of fighting to survive ,every crumb is such a battle,but that's life,right?I had so many "friends"before HIV,the stigma is a real..lThanks again for replying it is just nice to be heard!

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 01:27:43 am »
Hiya,

You're welcome. Just be careful with online advice, stick to trusted sources and cross refrence with a pharmacist.

Best, Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Patient700000

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2020, 05:42:26 am »
Don't worry,I can't imagine I would be able to trust another human being to have authentic concern for my well being much less some stranger behind a anonymous screen on the internet,that is why I am about to lawyer up!It is 2020 and the only thing people care about these days is money and this is where a greedy lawyer can actually create some much needed change so the next person like myself who is thrown second rate medical care(borderlining on a racially and sexual preferenced  biased hate crime)that has had their health permanently impacted and their life span shortened won't have to deal with sub par medical treatment.I challenge any and all readers to speak up if you too are receiving poor quality health care.This clinic slogan is"At _ _._ _ _ _ you are more than just a number" which is true you are a number but with a $ sign in front of it like a piece of cattle in line at a slaughter plant...

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2020, 05:12:12 pm »
Hi,..

Sorry to hear about the experience you been having with your nurse practitioner.

If this person is truly incompetent, I am with you, by all means get a lawyer.

I've had a nurse practitioner handling all my infectious disease care, since 2010. Whenever we decide on a medication change or, dose change, I sit right at her computer with her, as we discuss any possible drug interactions, or side effects, because of blood pressure medications or cholesterol medications that I am on.

This is the same with my Primary care. If any medications are added, I sit right with him, as he checks to see if there are any interactions, with meds that my cardiologist or infectious disease doctor prescribes. So interactions for me, can be double checked and sometimes triple checked, by all 3 of my care givers.

I wish you the best. I hope you find a more competent, caring health professional.

Take care--------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom , 20 mg of Atorvastatin, 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Amlodipine Besolate 5mg-- Updated 7/15/20

Diagnosed positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of July 8th,20,  Viral load remains Undetectable

CD 4 @589 /  CD4 % @ 17 %
68 YEARS YOUNG

WEAR A MASK !! COVID KILLS !

Offline Patient700000

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 01:37:36 am »
Wow Ray!Sounds like you have found proper caregivers!They actually allow you to interact with them?No wonder you have been able to weather HIV so long,congrats,you give me hope!
This is not just one nurse practitioner,I have seen two here (the staff @ this location call NP"doctors",that is not legal)+5 Doctors(none stay longer than a few months).The first NP is the one who prescribed the Hydroxyzine HCL that has given me the heart issues,she is an aggressive caustic Lesbian who has repetitively made fun of my sexuallity by declaring me a bottom(of which I am not) so she could stick her fingers up my bum hole to humiliate me,than each visit after would declare it loudly so the staff knew that she had had her fingers in me as a means to emasculate me.I think it scared her when I didn't have heart failure because every NP and Dr. afterwards treated me very poorly because of false damning documentation by her as well as dialogue that apparently made others believe I was mentally ill, of which I am not.I am an extremely kind and intelligent human,for me to be willing to lawyer up means there has been some major unethical treatment going on here!!!I would love to not be made to feel any worse than I already do for having HIV,but when you are treated worse than a dog for taking up more than the 5 mins of face to face and dare you ask a question,what message does this send to the patient about how important their life is?Not a very good one.Apologies if I am rambling,I am enraged at the injustice of this,if this has happened to me than that means that there are most likely many others who are or have been assaulted with medical bullets aimed at their vital organs like I have!!! As you know,most likely better than I Ray,since you have fought for so long and myself only 5 years,having HIV is not for the faint at heart!It is stigmatized still by society,it is financially,physically,and mentally draining.I point this out because all of us who are living with this should be celebrated for our strength and tenacity not be treated like a whore of Babylon in an evangelical republican nazi state trying to get an abortion in a dark alley by Freddie Kruger,seriously as a society of the future it is past time for all of us to do better than this.-Patient700000

Offline Texland

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 01:52:51 am »
Yikes! I've run across some bad doctor and nurse practitioners, but nobody that bad.

Have you looked at getting medical care in Houston? It is a bit of a slog from Sugarland. Gordon Crofoot is one of the best HIV docs in the state. You would have to see if his office takes your insurance. There are other clinics in Houston but it's been years since I lived there. Montrose Clinic is no more, at least how it used to be. I think it was sold/transferred to some other heath agency.

Good luck going after these incompetent as*****s in Sugarland. Take them down, get them fired. I have no patience for anyone in the medical profession in the 21st centry who gets bent out of shape dealing with people living HIV/AIDS. Any medical facility will have a non-discrimination policy, they usually cover sexual orientation. That said, Dear Leader has signed off allowing folks working in the medical field to discriminate against anyone they perceive to be gay, if it offends their religious sensibilities.

Offline Patient700000

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 03:51:37 am »
Thank you for the referral Texland!!!
 I will checkout Gordon Crofoot,unfortunately I have no insurance only Ryan White which I am guessing is the reason the nurses playing doctors feel they can bend anyone they want over and both physically and metaphorically give whom they choose  the finger!Maybe I can figure out a workaround by going to Dr.Crofoot than take his diagnoses and recommendations and adhere to them via the sub par federally funded facility that seems hellbent on killing me.Yeah it pisses me off they told me HIV is no big deal it is like diabetes,not true,it is a big deal when you are in the throws of an acidosis episode and standing up feels like every bone in both your feet are breaking and you tell them this and they blatantly ignore you!Speaking of the Fuhrer i bet he has initiated some bonus system for the staff,"For every three HIV patients you kill in your clinic you get a $20.00 dinner gift voucher as a thank you for making america great."Now that doesn't sound like fake news to me in this day and age it sounds like reality.

Offline Texland

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 11:28:02 am »
There is the Thomas Street Clinic in Houston. You would have to see if they take patients from outside Harris County. I never heard any complaints about care there. If Dr Crofoot's office can't see you, check with Thomas Street Clinic.

2015 Thomas Street
Houston, Texas 77009
713-873-4000

When I lived in Houston, until fifteen years ago, Aids Foundation Houston was a pretty useless organization. Maybe it has changed.

Offline Patient700000

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 12:36:44 pm »
AFH is how i ended up at this place,they honestly did try to help though.Not a fan of Thomas Street,a wealthy friend of 25 years abandoned me on their doorstep and ran like i had leprosy,than made up a lame excuse to justify her cruel actions,taught me not to tell anyone my status and the difference between true friendship and a friendship of convenience.Her husband is actually a doctor and head of radiology in Clear Lake,they are hard left Dems on the outside but on the inside they are HIV haters too.Still kills me,I loved them they were my family.Yeah,uh,Thomas Street did nothing to help,they talk the talk but don't walk the walk.Damn putting this all in words is making me see the unbelievable amount bullshit I have been through in the last 5 years,and this is a small fraction of a large whole,this all has really been way to much,no wonder I can't breathe.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 12:53:17 pm by Patient700000 »

Offline Texland

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 03:38:07 pm »
Ouch! Maybe you should look elsewhere. A good friend went to Thomas Street for years. He loved his doctor there.

I'm still trying to figure out what happened to the Montrose Clinic. At one point that was the main place for anyone without insurance to go. I went there once, filled out a forest of paperwork only to be told I couldn't go there because I have insurance. Funny thing was I handed them my insurance card along with my ID when I checked in.

There is Legacy Community Health - Montrose, I have no idea if that is a successor to the Montrose Clinic. Their website says they do HIV treatment.

I hope someone at Dr Crofoot's office can point you in the right direction to quality medical care.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 04:08:09 pm by Texland »

Offline Patient700000

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 10:23:49 pm »
Nothing against Thomas Street was just told they couldn't help me,apparently I am not poor enough even without a job and no insurance.
Yes,Dr.Crofoot seems to be the best advice,I will have to pay out of pocket but maybe his office can guide me.Thank you again Texland!

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 07:08:54 am »
Quote from: Patient700000 link=topic=74618.msg77 0641#msg770641 date=1600395829
apparently I am not poor enough even without a job and no insurance.
check into the Texas Ryan White ADAP program aka Texas HIV Medication Program
https://www.dshs.texas.gov/hivstd/meds/default.shtm

providers list is at https://www.dshs.texas.gov/hivstd/services/
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

Offline Patient700000

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 07:28:20 am »
Thank you for the link Leatherman!!!I really appreciate it!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.