Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2020, 05:11:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 757210
  • Total Topics: 64056
  • Online Today: 277
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 157
Total: 158

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cant get to undetectable  (Read 991 times)

Offline xiskza

Cant get to undetectable
« on: August 26, 2020, 06:55:34 am »
Hi there online friends!

I've been on medication for almost 2 years, and I can't seem to get to UD levels. For the past year or so my viral load has remained around 50-70, and it won't go lower than that. My doctor says she's not too worried about it as long as I take my medication correctly, but she's just one voice and I wanted to get your opinion as well. I seem to see everyone here reach UD pretty quickly which is what is getting me worried about what might be wrong with my immune system or medication, who knows. I take Truvada + Tivicay, which is a pretty standard combo, so it has to be a problem with me. Any guesses? How dangerous is keeping this kind of level of viral load consistently, and what is the rate of transmission to others? Thank you!

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Cant get to undetectable
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 10:53:29 am »
Hiya

I agree with your doctor 50-70 isn't an issue giving the evidence. If it was in the multiple hundreds I might have concern.

Rate of transmission sexually is zero with that viral load.

Below a 3 page decent (I think) Q&A on this topic that might help.

https://www.healio.com/infectious-disease/hiv-aids/news/online/%7B8373ca63-674d-4015-ac35-f4da653c7415%7D/qa-understanding-persistent-low-level-viremia-in-people-with-hiv

Talk to your doctor, tell them you need reassuring.

Best, jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 10:55:27 am »
I was trying to find a the post that someone sent me when i was worried about not reaching ud as you are but I couldn't find it.

He did explained that it was possible that what I was seeing was residual dead virus. Soon after I reached ud. As long as you are taking your meds correctly, I would just listen to the doctor and not worry, I'm sure you will see ud eventually.

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 11:24:43 am »
residual dead virus

Was it about defective copies bring released and counted by testing?

Defective copies - 90℅ or more of HIV in reservoirs are rejects
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/08/160808150523.htm

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 01:24:36 pm »
I was trying to find a the post that someone sent me when i was worried about not reaching ud as you are but I couldn't find it.

He did explained that it was possible that what I was seeing was residual dead virus. Soon after I reached ud. As long as you are taking your meds correctly, I would just listen to the doctor and not worry, I'm sure you will see ud eventually.

Yes Jim, something like that. I believe he compared to the drip of an old faucet after being turned off.. eventually there's no more drip. I was just trying to reassure the OP that his doctor is not steering him wrong.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 01:26:59 pm »
Was it about defective copies bring released and counted by testing?

Defective copies - 90℅ or more of HIV in reservoirs are rejects
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/08/160808150523.htm

😖meant to quote you, not myself

Offline xiskza

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 03:03:43 pm »
Hiya

I agree with your doctor 50-70 isn't an issue giving the evidence. If it was in the multiple hundreds I might have concern.

Rate of transmission sexually is zero with that viral load.

Below a 3 page decent (I think) Q&A on this topic that might help.

https://www.healio.com/infectious-disease/hiv-aids/news/online/%7B8373ca63-674d-4015-ac35-f4da653c7415%7D/qa-understanding-persistent-low-level-viremia-in-people-with-hiv

Talk to your doctor, tell them you need reassuring.

Best, jim

Thanks for the link. I take my medication regularly so its not that option. I assume then its the large HIV reservoirs, I did have a very high viral load of 450,000 initially, and probably got even higher since it took me about 2 months to start treatment after that sample was taken.
I guess its just something on the back of my mind that has been bugging me all of this year. 2020 has been rough mentally and this hasn't helped at all. There was a study you posted this year about low viral loads having a higher mortality rate, which I just read, so it does seem to be still lots of possibilities. Who knows what decades long low detectable viral loads actually mean to our bodies.

Thanks for the support.

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 03:13:52 pm »
There was a study you posted this year about low viral loads having a higher mortality rate

One Swedish study that had a weak conclusion/causation, there are plenty of life expectancy studies and virological failure studies showing your grand, some of them linked to the Q&A document shared, I presume your doctor knows this as well, try to stop stressing as it's bad for your health or so i've been told  ;)

Jim

P.S If this is keeping you awake at night talk to the doctor again as you could also try switching the time of day you take the meds or taking them with food to see if that helps.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 03:21:14 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Marcanthony

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2020, 03:39:21 pm »
Keep doing what you’re doing.

It took me almost 2 years to get to U. There needs to be more research and information about this. Everything I was reading kept saying it should be months, and it worried me sick.

Keep with it, you’ll get there

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 04:43:18 pm »
of course, the meds were much different in the 90s but it took me 12 years of meds to reach undetectable.

I've been on meds 25 yrs now; I've had some VL spikes of <200 (and a few in the 1000s!! over the years); my cd4s have never hit over the low 400s; I'm about 6 months out from turning 59; and I'm pretty damned healthy....more healthy than a lot of HIV- 59 year olds that i know. :D

Of course, that's just my story but not everybody makes it to UD quickly and it doesn't automatically mean their health goes to hell in a handbasket ;) :)
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

Offline Patient700000

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 09:39:23 am »
Xiskza,found this on endinghiv.org.au .here is an excerpt and the link that should brighten your day and put a pep back in your step!:)

"MORE SENSITIVE VIRAL LOAD TESTING-In NSW we now have more sensitive viral load testing, which means laboratories across the state can detect small amounts of the virus as low as 20 copies/mL. For HIV positive guys this means that they may see some change from their previous viral load readings; from below 20 copies/mL a new, potentially higher number. This should not be a cause for concern as any viral load of 200 copies/mL or less is still considered undetectable. A person with this level of viral suppression cannot transmit HIV to their partners."

https://endinghiv.org.au/treat-early/about-undetectable/

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.