Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 09, 2020, 08:05:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 755541
  • Total Topics: 63827
  • Online Today: 300
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 228
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Labs, how often? What do you do with your "old" meds?  (Read 384 times)

Offline Riseandrise

• Rise and rise again until lambs become lions.
Labs, how often? What do you do with your "old" meds?
« on: August 02, 2020, 04:24:15 am »
Hello  ;)

Hope everyone is doing well and surfing this unusual situation  8)

Even when I am not a complete newbie on HIV topics, I would like to know how often do you usually get labs to know your CD4 and VL.

I moved from Mexico to Germany last year and now I am getting labs done pretty much every 3 months, I would say that my relationship with my doctor and labs was pretty casual before, get prescriptions every quarter, labs twice per year and that's it.

My doctor convinced me that after 4 years of Atripla it was time to switch to another combo. After some additional labs he suggested to switch to Triumeq and I decided to give it a try. It didn't work for me at all, I had panic attacks as side effect.

Now I am taking Delstrigo and it seems that it is working better, I usually have some focus issues but I hope it will get better overtime.

I like my doctor, but after 4 or 5 VL and CD4 in a year (taking in consideration that I am adherent to my meds and that I've been undetectable for 5 years) I feel that he might be taking advantage of me being privately insured (I have to pay everything upfront and they make more money if you are not on the state health system)

The other question is, I tried to reach out my local HIV association to see if I can donate the meds that I have (two sealed bottles of Triumeq and 2 sealed bottles of Atripla) and they do not need them. What do you do with your meds after you change your combo?

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Labs, how often? What do you do with your "old" meds?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 07:27:34 am »
here in the USA, the Ryan White guidelines lines call for testing every 3 to 4 months. however if a patient has had stable numbers/treatment then at least one test every 6 months with at least 60 days between tests over a 2 yr period

the guidelines also provide that if someone has been UD for 2 yrs and has remained above 500 cd4s, they don't ever need to test for cd4 again. (being able to drop the cd4 test would be a money saver)

(https://hab.hrsa.gov/sites/default/files/hab/clinical-quality-management/2014guide.pdf  pg 99)
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 09:10:30 am »
The other question is, I tried to reach out my local HIV association to see if I can donate the meds that I have (two sealed bottles of Triumeq and 2 sealed bottles of Atripla) and they do not need them. What do you do with your meds after you change your combo?

Whatever you do please don't throw them away. When I swithed from atripla to triumeq, I mailed my extra meds to someone who needed them. The meds are expensive and you can bet someone will need them.

http://rampusa.org/how-and-where-to-donate-medications/
"Hang on to your hopes my friend..
thats an easy thing to say,
but if your hope should pass away,
simply pretend that you could build them again"...

Offline virgo313

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 11:15:40 am »
I donít get a chance to do CD4 test for last 2 years already, but I am being tested on VL every 6 months.
RVD Nov 2015. VL --> Log 5.32 HAART on 23/11/15
TDF+FTC+EFV / Chemo KS - 25/11/15 - 20/01/16.
CD4 - 4 (3/11/15) / VL - 225,000

Offline Riseandrise

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 01:49:13 pm »
here in the USA, the Ryan White guidelines lines call for testing every 3 to 4 months. however if a patient has had stable numbers/treatment then at least one test every 6 months with at least 60 days between tests over a 2 yr period

the guidelines also provide that if someone has been UD for 2 yrs and has remained above 500 cd4s, they don't ever need to test for cd4 again. (being able to drop the cd4 test would be a money saver)

(https://hab.hrsa.gov/sites/default/files/hab/clinical-quality-management/2014guide.pdf  pg 99)

I will ask next time, I have another appointment for labs mid October.

From the past years my CD4 levels were always above 600, and when I was diagnosed around 400. My VL has been undetectable at all times, I had detectable VL but I think that it was below 100 and my doctor back in Mexico didn't bother at all.

Offline Riseandrise

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 01:53:08 pm »
Whatever you do please don't throw them away. When I swithed from atripla to triumeq, I mailed my extra meds to someone who needed them. The meds are expensive and you can bet someone will need them.

http://rampusa.org/how-and-where-to-donate-medications/

I was looking for something like this in Germany. I guess that I was hoping that the HIV association will give me a similar contact or something. I will try again and if I don't find anything I guess that I will see if I can mail them to SF.

How was your experience with Triumeq? I even get a test done to see if I was sensitive to some ingredient in there but at the end I didn't manage the side effects very well.

Thanks!

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 02:59:55 pm »
I was looking for something like this in Germany. I guess that I was hoping that the HIV association will give me a similar contact or something. I will try again and if I don't find anything I guess that I will see if I can mail them to SF.

How was your experience with Triumeq? I even get a test done to see if I was sensitive to some ingredient in there but at the end I didn't manage the side effects very well.

Thanks!

I believe that the organization in SF sends hiv meds to countries that lack resources so its a good cause, but yeah it would be great if you could find an organization closer to you in Germany.. maybe a neighboring country in Europe?

As for my experience with Triumeq, it's been much better than Atripla which sent me into a depression.
Only thing about Triumeq is I have to take it in the morning in order to prevent insomnia symptoms at night.
"Hang on to your hopes my friend..
thats an easy thing to say,
but if your hope should pass away,
simply pretend that you could build them again"...

Offline joemutt

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 12:02:19 am »
I give my unused meds (sealed bottles) to my doctor, he has a stock to help people out.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.