Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 09, 2020, 07:46:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 755541
  • Total Topics: 63827
  • Online Today: 300
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 243
Total: 244

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Medical Industrial Complex Harming Me  (Read 585 times)

Offline corpmar8

• Standard
Medical Industrial Complex Harming Me
« on: July 13, 2020, 02:56:29 pm »
Hello,

New to the forums but not to HIV. I’m 43 and UD for 10 years and CD4 692 in June 2020.

I have been having a really hard time with my doctor, and doctors and the medical industrial complex in general for that matter.

Long story short... always very healthy until HIV - over the years been slowly but steadily struggling with digestive issues, inflammation, aches and pains, ED, severe malaise, fatigue, severe back pain, burning and numbness all over my body, and other various ailments (all slowly progressing since HIV diagnosis).

Several years ago, doc changes me from Complera to Odefsey in a very nonchalant way at the time “It has caused some bone issues for some people” was his reasoning at the time in a very casual, superficial, rushed kinda way “but lets change your med”.  Peculiar for me at the time but being naive to the medical experience, trusted him. I also had several bouts of antibiotics, Hep B vaccine, tetanus, and a flu shot here and there in addition to my HIV meds (still Odefsey).

Over the years been trying to figure out why all of a sudden I was experiencing these medical issues that at times have been debilitating.

Last year doc says.... “Oh, your thyroid is acting up .... you’re gonna crash someday” with nothing else mentioned. Low and behold, thyroid disease is showing itself pretty significantly now. He is very casual about this, too. Has referred me to an Endo. Gee thanks, doc.

Bloodwork is all over the place in terms of cholesterol, thyroid, now my Vit D is low, etc.  Needless to say, since HIV and starting meds, I’ve been a slowly deteriorating medical mess. Doc has NO EXPLANATION for me. In fact, each time I see him he seems utterly unbothered by my deteriorating condition. Just another day at the office to him. He is adamant that my worsening condition is NOT related to HIV or the medication and that my liver and kidneys are fine (for now I guess??).

Over the past several years, my dental health has also significantly started to deteriorate. Many cavities, 3 crowns, and TWO extractions. Never had dental issues like these before. EVER.

So, what doesn’t anyone who is bothered by such an experience do... I research. And research and research and research. (I’m a healthcare professional so this is not Joe Schmoe googling his condition).

Annndddd .... low and behold, I discover that there is a class action lawsuit related to Complera! Manufacturer KNEW it caused bone mineral, kidney, and liver issues and continued to sell. Doc knew it was very serious and at the time didn’t mention a peep - you know like “hey we should watch for any signs of X...”. Nothing. Zero.

The last two visits I expressed my frustration with the whole process and the fact that my teeth were rotting out of my mouth. The new APRN flippantly says “WELL, do you take care of them!?” (For the record, I most certainly do take care of them).

On the last visit, doc flippantly says “oh yea, well you know about that class action lawsuit thingy going on”. In my head I’m like “YEA I DO YOU F%@#ing douchebag! Thanks for telling me LOSER!”. I wanted to rip his head off.

To get to the point.... working in healthcare, I know how this goes. The doctor is going to do whatever he wants to do and has tremendous latitude in doing so without liability. They don’t always tell you the whole picture, leave out information they don’t think is important, get to make treatment decisions without informing you (this really does happen - ALOT!), etc etc if they believe its “in your best interest” and you are left dealing with whatever consequences result with little to no recourse. They follow their little manual - but their manual is WRONG and lets be real.... they really really really don’t know what the f - - ck they are doing! They are pretty much experimenting on us.

I can’t help but think all of this healthcare is actually making me sicker. The vaccines, medication, his elusiveness, etc. I do think he has knowledge about the toxicity of the drugs, its negative effects on health, etc and is playing dumb to kick the can down the road and unfortunately my health is suffering in the process. And to the lay person, who doesn’t know what they don’t know, trusts their doc wont lie to them or hide info form them. WRONG.

I’ve also read recent medical journals re these very issues - and they all confirm these are the medical consequences of HIV, the meds, the vaccines, etc. So, WHY AREN’T YOU TELLING ME THIS!?!? It literally is like he is under no obligation to talk to me about anything - he just does. And then denies denies denies that any of what he is giving me will cause any of the issues I’m experiencing.

They are coming from somewhere bro! Sadly, I think its a mix of everything... toxic meds and vaccines TBH.

The worst part about this.... is this is being addressed at appointments SIX MONTHS APART! Like... WTF... seriously bro? Soooo.... we wait SIX FU^*%ING MONTHS to watch my health condition deteriorate.... yeah... that sounds like a great plan!

Unfortunately, the reality is this is the practice of the medical industrial complex. This is what they do. They lie, cheat, and steal. It’s a business, first. Trust. Me. They do not really care about you.... if there was no money in it, there would be no one providing healthcare. This is what they do to patients... they misinform, avoid conversation, etc because they know what they do is a quack. It’s snake oil nonsense that actually makes people sicker and kills them.

Sure, the medication is keeping me UD - but it’s also destroying my body one organ system at a time. I’m highly concerned that my liver and kidneys will be affected - sadly I think he knows this, but won’t tell me that. I’ll just wait until the day my bloodwork comes back that they are failing and he will say “shucks... looks like your kidneys are failing!”.

I’m also very concerned that my assessment is accurate - that this IS how the medical industrial complex operates. And, therefore, will be more of the same should I change docs. If I do decide to change, I’m concerned that my records will reflect my challenge to his practice and compromise my ability to get future care. I feel very very stuck.

Isn’t this fabulous guys? I’m being killed slowly by the very people who are supposed to help me... and I should be grateful, I suppose. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Medical Industrial Complex Harming Me
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 03:13:47 pm »
Hiya,

Understand that you are venting and sorry to hear that you have had dental issues etc.

To be honest many things were fine for me until they were not. None of it related to HIV meds though outside of the usual expected stuff and without the meds, I would have been long dead and buried. So I am grateful to have the luxury of worrying about things the meds don't fix like inflammation etc. Do have some long term issues, blame myself though, should have started treatment sooner is my story, so a classic story.

Anyhow, I do hope you feel better soon and can work on finding a doctor that you can have a more productively relationship with. Not sure from your post if you have switched doctors?

BTW If you do plan to stick around on the forum then keep in mind that for any health/medical/scientific information or claims you make we ask for peer-reviewed studies to be provided. 

Jim

« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 03:34:35 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline corpmar8

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 03:48:56 pm »
Hi Jim,

I genuinely appreciate the welcome and support. I’m sure you are just doing your job. :)

Are you a Dr.? What claims am I making that need citations?

Given my “venting” post.... the irony is deafening about needing peer reviewed articles to back up my thoughts about the MIC. Do you think they are going to peer review their own snake oil and acknowledge the errors of their ways??? Those (like many’s complaints) will NEVER make it to publication. That’s laughable.

I can pull journal article after journal article documenting serious life threatening side effects, effects on thyroid, cholesterol, negative effects of vaccines, the very slim margins of clinical significance of most medications, as well as the discussions re holding back information from patients as a matter of practice.

So.... I need to cite when posting? LOL. I didn’t know I was writing for publication. So this is yet again another site that is policed and censored by the very establishment itself. How. Funny. Can’t say anything bad about them, ehh?? Unless I have “evidence”.

Let’s say I’m Joe Schmoe who knows nothing... information from my peers must be “approved” in order for it to get to me???? So someone might have information that I might find extremely important and valuable, but unless there is a research study that supports it, I can’t hear it?????

This is literally just as bad as the doctor. LOL.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 03:58:30 pm »
Are you done?
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline corpmar8

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 04:02:45 pm »
The question is, are YOU done?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 04:11:28 pm »
Hiya,

It's rather easy if you want to post here about vaccines, meds and call things snake-oil then provide peer-reviewed references. It's the same standard for all forum members and if you don't like that then don't post about it here.

However, getting pissy and stamping your feet about will get you nowhere.

Best, Jim

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline corpmar8

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 04:21:51 pm »
Jim,

I see you get high on your authority. I mean... this is a very important job you do.

I don’t like your rules. I’ll find another forum. You clearly are not going to help me (or allow others to do so). You’re just going to deny, silence, censor, and exclude us just like the rest of the industry.

You must feel proud.

You are actually doing your forum a disservice by taking that stance. If the forum only supports discussion that is “approved” and “peer reviewed” then it defeats the very purpose of an open forum.

If you just want to be a vehicle for information dissemination, then clearly state that. If you want an open forum, then you should be open - to differing opinions. And if you’re demanding “peer reviewed” evidence for any comment that someone makes, then the world deserves the censored outcome. You can thank yourself for contributing to the dysfunction my man. This is oh but very clear supporting evidence for my concerns. But hey... you enjoy your deteriorating health condition too as you seem utterly unbothered by it as well. Enjoy your “healthcare”!

Adios

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 05:26:38 pm »
As is evident from asking you to provide references that you claimed to have already read, I must be some sort of evil genius.  ;D

"Thanks, noted the rules" or providing a few references would have been a great reply, then you could have talked about this until blue in the face for all I care.  It's the rules of the site, not mine and everyone is welcome to an opinion but not their own facts.

Instead, you kick off some bizarre tantrum and attack on me, prehaps because you are full of BS?

Anyhow, I am done with you and considering you have stated to be unwilling to follow the forum rules and seem to want to do nothing but have hissy fits and attack forum members I have helped you transition onto the road of finding another platform to post your stuff by giving you a ban out of kindness.

Take care.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 06:45:21 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline joemutt

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 11:28:23 pm »
The "medical industrial complex" saved my life in June 1997.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 04:54:40 pm »
The "medical industrial complex" saved my life in June 1997.

Saved my life as well.  And the lives of many of my friends. To the OP, wherever you may be, YOU are in charge of your health. And I believe you failed miserably at it. I don't know who your doctors are, BUT, MY doctors listen to me, and we discuss EVERYTHING, in regards to medication and my health. If I disagree with my doctor/doctors, he/she still listens to me, and I have the final say.!!

Good luck to you, However, the way you came on here in your first post, and the way you were attacking Jim,  makes me think that you are a disgruntled and possibly a previously banned individual from these forums. Anyway,.... That's what I think !

Whoever you are----Good luck to you !

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom , 20 mg of Atorvastatin, 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Amlodipine Besolate 5mg-- Updated 7/15/20

Diagnosed positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of July 8th,20,  Viral load remains Undetectable

CD 4 @589 /  CD4 % @ 17 %
68 YEARS YOUNG

WEAR A MASK !! COVID KILLS !

Offline harleymc

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 04:55:58 pm »
Jim sorry you had to put up with all that nastiness

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 05:41:45 pm »
osis).

Annndddd .... low and behold, I discover that there is a class action lawsuit related to Complera! Manufacturer KNEW it caused bone mineral, kidney, and liver issues and continued to sell. Doc knew it was very serious and at the time didn’t mention a peep - you know like “hey we should watch for any signs of X...”. Nothing. Zero.

To the OP,...

If you feel that you had a legitimate issue with Complera, Then I suggest that you join and be part of the class action lawsuit.

I won't respond anymore in this thread. Once again good luck to you.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom , 20 mg of Atorvastatin, 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Amlodipine Besolate 5mg-- Updated 7/15/20

Diagnosed positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of July 8th,20,  Viral load remains Undetectable

CD 4 @589 /  CD4 % @ 17 %
68 YEARS YOUNG

WEAR A MASK !! COVID KILLS !

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 08:46:40 pm »
I don't know, I didn't think this OP's rant deserved that kind of response. It was obvious to me that the guy's in pain and angry, and his beef with the medical industry has some merit.. one of the reasons I limit my opinions here in this forum, especially when it pertains to hiv.

BTW If you do plan to stick around on the forum then keep in mind that for any health/medical/scientific information or claims you make we ask for peer-reviewed studies to be provided. 

I thought that was a bit passive/aggressive way of calling the guy a liar, and maybe why your conversation went down hill after.

A simple Google search on complera certainly would've cleared up any doubt, even though MANY statements have been made in these forums without ppl being called out to bring proof.
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/investigations/857355-hiv-medications-side-effects-atripla-complera-truvada-stribild-viread/

I certainly understand that moderating the forum isn't easy. But banning ppl bc they don't come "correct" from the beginning imo defeats it's purpose.
"Hang on to your hopes my friend..
thats an easy thing to say,
but if your hope should pass away,
simply pretend that you could build them again"...

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 03:41:55 am »
A simple Google search on complera certainly would've cleared up any doubt, even though MANY statements have been made in these forums without ppl being called out to bring proof.
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/investigations/857355-hiv-medications-side-effects-atripla-complera-truvada-stribild-viread/

The OP concerns with complera was never really an issue and Google it doesn't cut it. Neither is expressing an opinion a problem.

In short, he claims to be healthcare provider, with medical refrences that vaccines etc cause the medical issues and are toxic etc. He can't provide any references claimed ... Venting is fine we all do it from time to time ,however, spreading misinformation like this is not okay.

It's not why he got a ban though and if anyone has an issue with a moderators decision please PM or use the report to moderator feature to raise those concerns.

@All

Appriciate everyone response, to clarify the thread was left open for the OP, he will be able to read it. So let's keep any responses focused on the topic i.e the concerns from the OP & any support we can offer - Thanks.

Jim
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 04:43:09 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline em

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2020, 11:04:08 pm »

Medical Industrial Complex Harming Me

this might be a perspective on medical treatment that might be relevant

I recall being hospitalized. there was this older lady there .

When she was discharged she said something like this to the other patients.

granted this was over three decades ago so an exact quote  this is not.

She said I am proud to have been a test subject to the medical community.

actually i think her words may have been guinea pig  but it was a long time ago

she went on to say something about the her part in furthering medical research.

in so doing helping others . medical staff learning from her participation  can their be an better use of a life ?

sorry if the wording is not exact . but the idea she was saying about how unpleasant the medical system might be . furthering research to help others . gave meaning to her life.  for this she was proud to have been a part of . 

it was better when she said it ? I think her point was valid. I hope the thought is there that she tried to convey . when she was discharged. my apologies for being so wordy ? 

sorry if my version is not as to the point or concise . as hers may have been. I guess you would have had to be there to see and feel her poignant heartfelt statement for yourself I am sure others might have had the same thought. the advancement of medical research is something we all have a part in . so that someday others might be helped .   this is the goal everyone who lives can strive for .     

we all benefit from those who came before us. 

my version is to wordy and not as clear but I hope you see what I am trying to write here ?

all the best

EM   

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.