Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 09, 2020, 07:03:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 755539
  • Total Topics: 63826
  • Online Today: 300
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 215
Total: 217

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Netflix History 101 S1 E9 - AIDS.  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Netflix History 101 S1 E9 - AIDS.
« on: May 26, 2020, 10:09:52 pm »
Has anyone else watched the new 2020 show Netflix History 101 S1 E9 - AIDS?

I found the language used nasty and outdated, the episode in my mind is just contributing to the spread of stigma. Anyone else who watched it any thoughts?

History 101 AIDS
Nearly 40 million people are living with HIV. After decades of research and activism, how far have we come in finding a cure and battling the stigma?

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 10:26:41 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline em

Re: Netflix History 101 S1 E9 - AIDS.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 05:41:32 am »
I know you gave me a warning ,

so I will try not to hijack this thread

my youngest who is fifteen said he wanted to watch netflix in his room

he sees all the pills I take ?

I think this episode was the thing he wanted to watch ?

EM

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 11:05:16 am »
Well it's not something I would recommend for anyone to watch who wants to learn something given the language used by the presenter is stigmatizing, also it's a missed opportunity as the show does touch on progress but leaves out TaSP/U=U, PEP and PrEP.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 11:10:37 am »
Thanks for the tip and to forewarn about the language. Will watch it later tonight.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 11:13:55 am »
Thanks for the tip and to forewarn about the language. Will watch it later tonight.

8) Let us know what you thought.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 01:59:18 pm »
Well it's not something I would recommend for anyone to watch who wants to learn something given the language used by the presenter is stigmatizing, also it's a missed opportunity as the show does touch on progress but leaves out TaSP/U=U, PEP and PrEP.

I just watched it...short doc only 22min.
I agree with the last part of your comment....a missed opportunity, however I don't think the intention was to educate the public about the disease it self. But to give an impression of how (mostly) the Americans dealt with the epidemic. It only emphasized the homophobia and intolerance in those days.
I recognize the language and images...I went to college in San Francisco from 1983-1989 and did my undergrad & gradschool at USF. Lived on Pine/California, had a parttime job at the Gramophone on Polkstreet. Aids was all around in my direct surroundings, saw people disappear one by one. My fav hangouts were the I-Beam on sundays, Trocadero Transfer (thursdays) and after work on saturdays the Midnightsun in Castro.
Hearing and seeing those comments/images again...30+ years on....don't face me anymore. It is wat it WAS, and have the impression that people living with hiv nowaday are less discriminated.

I would recommend this documentary to the young and recently diagnosed who has never been ill, who pop a single pill and carry on with their lives as if nothing has happened (lucky them), just to be able to put into perspective how much progression has been made: from a death sentence and exclusion to living a normal life and acceptance.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 02:01:42 pm by Grasshopper »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 02:06:53 pm »
That's fine, everyone has an opinion.

To clarify though, I'm not phased by the language used at the time nor the images, it's a historic review.  However, I do have a problem with the 2020 presenter using such dated language. 

Print media is often bad enough on its own by continuing to use outdated and stigmatizing language without having Netflix adding to it as well. Anyhow, I suppose we all have different points of view on the topic.

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/hiv-language
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 02:22:01 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2020, 02:22:24 pm »
Could it be perhaps a generation thingy?...me turning 58 in july and that I on a subconscious way recognized and subjected to the "outdated and stigmatizing" language that I was used to hear/read in those bygone years in San Francisco ?

Was this a British doc ? (they have a very particular way of narrating and presenting documentaries)

Even goede vrienden ?  ;)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2020, 03:59:41 pm »
Even goede vrienden ?  ;)

Wij zien dit anders, dat is wat mij betreft geen enkel probleem.  ;) Zelf ben ik het taalgebruik gewent, mag ook wel na all die tijd.

Punt is, hoe er over ons wordt gesproken en de taalgebruik in de media heeft invloed op het beeld dat wordt gecreŽerd bij mensen. Als we stigma willen verminderen voor mensen met HIV moet het beeld dat mede door taalgebruik gecreŽerd wordt in de media verbeteren.

Rough translation:

We see this prehaps differently, that not an issue. ;) I'm used to the language after all this time.

Point is, how we are talked about and the language used in the media influences the image that is created for people. If we want to reduce stigma for people with HIV, the image created partly by language in the media must improve.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 04:18:13 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Mindless

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2020, 10:49:03 pm »
Iíve seen it before reading this thread.

I canít judge on the language/wording: in my naive ignorance I didnít notice it or maybe itís the fact that I was almost asleep 😴 😅
IMHO though the title of the documentary is quite misleading in the second part:

Nearly 40 million people are living with HIV. After decades of research and activism, how far have we come in finding a cure and battling the stigma?

I didnít see anything about a cure or battling the stigma, just a quick mention about ďhiv medicationĒ been improved in the early 90í. Thatís it.

I know itís a 20 min doc and you canít expect a deep analysis but then they should at least not use that kind of misleading title.

Hugs

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2020, 11:06:51 am »

I found the language used nasty and outdated, the episode in my mind is just contributing to the spread of stigma. Anyone else who watched it any thoughts?

I agree, this tv show was quite outdated. I especially found the narrator's robotic cadence irritating, and the music soundtrack exaggerated, at times like the track from a suspense thriller.. tacky in the way it attempts to control an emotional response. But this is true for the series in general. It's just a terrible series.

The medical explanation as to what hiv is is rushed.. they don't explain how hiv hijacks a particular tcell and stays dormant even wirh treatment.

Thanks for pointing this out Jim, you're so on point, it is pretty nasty. I wish they would have left hiv out of this cheap series.
"Hang on to your hopes my friend..
thats an easy thing to say,
but if your hope should pass away,
simply pretend that you could build them again"...

Offline Reggie

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 08:33:28 am »
Watching the History 101 here in Thailand so looked to watch episode 9 but itís been censored probably by the government so unable to watch has season 1 episode 1,2,3,4,5,5,6,8,.....then 10!

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 11:50:26 pm »
Watching the History 101 here in Thailand so looked to watch episode 9 but itís been censored probably by the government so unable to watch has season 1 episode 1,2,3,4,5,5,6,8,.....then 10!

You're not missing a thing, trust me.

Offline harleymc

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2020, 12:21:28 am »
Did the documentary mention that the HIV epidemic was in the Black community in Missouri the 1969s but that the CDC only decided to pay attention in the 1980s when white guys started getting Ill?

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2020, 06:07:11 am »
Did the documentary mention that the HIV epidemic was in the Black community in Missouri the 1969s but that the CDC only decided to pay attention in the 1980s when white guys started getting Ill?

No, it did not cover that. Matter of fact I don't see it getting much discussion at all.

Offline fabio

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2020, 08:39:04 am »
I'm guessing it has lots of outraged misinformation and people calling hiv (the virus) aids.
It's weird how there's nothing said in media platforms like these (even on news outlets) about u=u or how people living with hiv live normal lives.
I hope there's newer documentary type series that appeals to the general public and actually informs people the right way.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.