Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 08, 2020, 06:44:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 35415
  • Latest: Dubguy
Stats
  • Total Posts: 755026
  • Total Topics: 63755
  • Online Today: 227
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 176
Total: 178

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: I took an HIV RNA test and I need positive thoughts  (Read 828 times)

Offline sierraa

• Standard
I took an HIV RNA test and I need positive thoughts
« on: May 21, 2020, 03:19:06 am »
Hi All,

I hope someone can provide me a few positive stories about people experiencing multiple symptoms and still test negative. After doing some research I feel hopeless and trying to prepare myself.. I rarely freak out about symptoms... but I think in this case my fear is pretty much justified.

Last Thursday I developed 37.7-38.5C fever with moderate pharyngitis and slightly swollen (and tender) cervical lymph nodes. Just as with any similar infection, I was feeling pretty tired during the first 3-4 days. I rarely have fever and I was pretty surprised that I did not develop any respiratory symptoms like runny nose or coughing.

My temperature went back to normal after 3.5 days... my pharyngitis disappeared after 5-6 days. My right cervical lymph node is slightly still swollen after 7 days. Just as my pharyngitis disappeared, I developed a cold sore. I haven't had cold sore since forever.

I panicked and on Satruday (after 2.5 half days after first symptoms) I took a home OraQuick test and obviously it came back negative. Then on Monday I took an HIV RNA test (~4days after first symptoms). The results should be ready in 24 hours.

I'm a heterosexual guy and I did have unprotected sex multiple times in the past 1 month with a heterosexual girl with unknown status.

So it's not looking good. Any positive thoughts are welcome. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 03:23:06 am by sierraa »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: I took an HIV RNA test and I need positive thoughts
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 04:38:24 am »
I hope someone can provide me a few positive stories about people experiencing multiple symptoms and still test negative.

Just about every 2nd thread in the "Do I have HIV" section. Anyhow stories are irrelevant. Generally, the presence or lack of symptoms is meaningless, testing is what matters.

Now nothing you mentioned including the herpes outbreak is HIV specific either. Work with your doctor/pharmacist to reduce the outbreak and treat whatever is making you sick.

I hope you feel better soon. 

I did have unprotected sex multiple times in the past 1 month

Test at 6 weeks post-exposure with a blood-drawn HIV antibodies test, a negative result at that time will rarely ever change, although if you wish you can retest for a definite result at 3 months post-exposure if you wish.

If you are testing with the rapid OTC antibodies tests then test at 3 months post-exposure for a result. Remember to also test for far easier to acquire STI's whilst you are at it.

Here's what you need to know to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider talking to your healthcare provider about PrEP as an additional layer of HIV protection going forward

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the "Do I have HIV?" Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline sierraa

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 04:48:06 am »
Hi Jim.

Thanks for the quick response and I understand that my post is just one of the many concerned posts in the thread. I do appreciate the existence of this forum and I will definitely come back no matter what.

Your mention of my symptoms being not HIV specific calmed me down a bit, although I do know that I did present many symptoms that confirmed the need of an HIV test.

Cheers!

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 04:59:52 am »
Hiya,

You're welcome.

Look you need to test because you had a potential exposure, not because of symptoms. Most people will initially have no symptoms or none noticeable.

Relax, test when due and going forward use condoms no exceptions and consider talking to your healthcare provider about PrEP as an additional layer of HIV protection.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline sierraa

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 12:26:33 am »
Hi Jim,

I'm back because too many threads here end without people coming back to share negative results or thoughts after going through some anxiety around testing.

Whilst I was waiting for my test, I did what I should have done before engaging any sexual activities with a new partner (using condoms or not). I sit down with her and we discussed our sexual history and tests we did in the past. Her response and openness really calmed me down. Even if you can't trust someone 100%, talking about STD testing can calm your nerves down while you are waiting for the results. She claimed that she tested negative just right before we started dating.

My HIV RNA test came back negative and I also asked my healthcare provider to do a full STD test. I tested negative for everything (including a 4th gen HIV test, which might have been a bit early), but HSV-1 (herpes simplex), what is so common that CDC in the US recommends against testing (really: https://www.cdc.gov/std/herpes/screening.htm).

In my original post, I used the wrong word for ulcers (I've never had cold sores). I had ulcers before, but this time I had the worst outbreak of my life. My theory is that I had a primary herpes simplex infection and that caused my symptoms. I'm talking with my doctor about that possibility, but honestly at this point it doesn't really matter.

==================

So here is my advice if you experience unusual flu like symptoms and you end up stressing about having HIV because you googled and read about it. If you had a potential exposure, listen to Jim, stop googling and get tested when you are in the testing window.

I showed almost every symptoms websites list as possible indicator of an HIV infection (besides rash). BUT the truth is that symptoms are just your body's reaction to a viral infection. It can be a million different thing and HIV is just one of the many-many possible causes.

===================

Jim, I have to tell you that I read plenty of threads here on the forum. It's heartwarming and touching that there is actually a place on the internet where there is nothing, but warmth, support and positive thoughts for people living with HIV.

During the past few weeks, I read and learned a lot about HIV and living with HIV. I think I have a much better understanding about the community, spread and treatment options. Whenever it's appropriate, I will use this knowledge to educate others.

I wish you and the forum members the best. Keep up the amazing work. You folks are amazing.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 03:58:51 am »
Hiya,

Glad the results so far are negative.

Remember to test at 6 weeks post-exposure with a blood-drawn HIV antibodies test, a negative result at that time will rarely ever change, although if you wish you can retest for a definite result at 3 months post-exposure if you wish.

If you are testing with the rapid antibodies tests then test at 3 months post-exposure for a result.

Regarding your new partner, ill give you the same advice I give anyone saying they are in a relationship, that is, if you engage in condomless sex with your partner it would meet all the biological conditions needed for you to acquire HIV.

Now I don't judge couples that decide to engage in condomless sex, it's often based on trust within a relationship or past test results. However, just note this trust or past results do not prevent HIV and any condomless sex is simply accepting a possible risk towards you of acquiring HIV.

Test regularly for HIV and far easier to transmit STI's.

Best, Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.