Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2020, 04:12:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 756178
  • Total Topics: 63920
  • Online Today: 233
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 208
Total: 209

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Stranded in Costa Rica without enough meds  (Read 722 times)

Offline yogaholic

Stranded in Costa Rica without enough meds
« on: April 24, 2020, 02:47:13 pm »
Hello Forum Friends,

I hope this post finds you all safe and healthy amidst this corona crisis.

I am a New Yorker who fled 6 weeks ago to Costa Rica to protect my immune system. I have since been quarantined on a farm and am healthy. I currently have four months of my HIV medication Odefsey but I may stay here in country for 6-8 months until the virus calms down back in the US. (There are no confirmed cases in the region where I am here.)

MY QUESTION/PROBLEM: I need to either A.) Buy new meds here in country, or B.) Get my medications brought into the country by a friend. (Mailing medications here is not permitted.)

OPTION 1.: The borders are closed to foreigners so my normal plan of having a friend bring them from the US is not possible. Only Costa Rican nationals are allowed into the country at this time and I don't know any CR nationals coming into the country from the US.

OPTION 2.: Buying new meds here, which is likely cost prohibitive. Or is a foreigner eligible for any free med programs here? (I assume not but doesn't hurt to ask.)

OPTION 3.: Spreading my meds out. Has anyone had luck taking Odefsey every other day instead of daily?

The only other option is to return to NYC when my meds run out which I really don't want to do.

Do you have any suggestions or can you provide any help?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Stranded in Costa Rica without enough meds
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 02:50:45 pm »
Hiya,

Just the same thoughts as yesterday from myself. https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=73775.msg768168#msg768168

Hope the issue gets resolved soon for you.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Expat1

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 08:31:15 am »
Sorry you are having problems locating sources.

I have no specific Costa Rica information.  But for what its worth. 

Edurant is probably difficult to source  in most countries.  TAF is also difficult to source in most countries.

So you will probably have to do a substitution back to a generic Atripla (like Teevir) which is easy to get in most countries and usually  very cheap.

The best local sources are the infectious disease doctors affiliated with National Universities and Public or large private hospitals.

Doctors at Universities can usually help you find contacts.

Do not take Odefsey every other day.  It is considered too weak and would likely make you resistant to both nrtis and nnrtis in the future.  I am not a doctor, but that is my opinion.    (I take generic version of this with with TAF/FTC and Edurant.)

If looking at medical schools/universities doesnt work.   Try contacting local gay rights groups.   And local AIDS/HIV activist organizations. 

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 10:48:36 pm »
Here's a link to some information on HIV treatment in Costa Rica with contact info.  It appears there are places you could go.  As expat1 stated, you may have to temporarily move to a different regimen.

http://hivtravel.org/Default.aspx?PageId=143&CountryId=53

Offline harleymc

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 05:55:37 am »
I don't know what E.E.U.U. quarantine is like at the moment. So this is a question not a comment.

Is there any reason you can't return to the EEUU before your medications run out?  There's been nothing published that indicates people living with HIV have Increased risk of Covid.

Of course if you are on immunosuppressive therapy or are over seventy that is a different situation.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.