Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 10, 2020, 01:13:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 755567
  • Total Topics: 63829
  • Online Today: 242
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 221
Total: 222

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Symptoms showing at 19 years?  (Read 734 times)

Offline Tinker2715

• Standard
Symptoms showing at 19 years?
« on: April 20, 2020, 11:57:55 am »
Hello Board,

I will attempt to keep this short, but I need to tell my story so everyone gets the entire context. I have to admit I am very nervous but trying not to overthink things. But as you may understand, I have a family and a HIV diagnosis would be devastating to my marriage and everything. So please understand my fear - which I recently am experiencing.

Back in 2001 or 2002, I had what I consider a risk to contracting something, I didnít even know what HIV was. I went through a careless tome in my life - and even looking back thereís a lot of shame. But Iím going to be blunt because thatís only fair to this board in my desire to get wisdom on if I may have HIV.

So, the long and short of my story is that fingering intensively a stripper/prostitute. I didnít think anything of it (except it was wrong for me at least to do that) in regards to a disease. This may sound stupid, but my hands get dry in the winter and needless to say, I small open cracks on the tips of my fingers frequently. All I remember is my finger burned on the tip of the finger I used because it was cracked.

I wouldnít have thought anything about sickness until about a week or so later, I came down with the sickest I have ever been in my life. I didnít know what was happening to my body. I had symptoms of thrush(I didnít even know what that was at the time), neuropathy, burning mouth and chest, odd sensation under my skin, diarrhea, and much more(I canít even recall all of them but I felt like death would have been easier at the time - I do remember that).

So went to the doctors and he said it wouldnít be a bad idea to get an HIV test, although he said it would be very odd and low possibility of contracting HIV that way - even with an open small opening at the tip of the finger I used.

So as you can imagine, with the sickness that hit me so harsh out of the blue and now knowing the symptoms of acute HIV response, I think was obviously worried with a lot of fear. I remember I would search for anything else besides HIV, but everything matched and the risk was there.

At the time, then I remember doing multiple test for HIV (back in 2002).
I did a test at the Doctors- a couple weeks after my harsh symptoms. The tests were negative. Then I took multiple test, I remember at 3 months, 6 months and I believe even a year out - and all came back negative for HIV. I did antiviral testing(I think it was called PCH or something like that) every type of HIV test I could - and they all came back negative for HIV.

So, as these past 18-19 years(as of this year 2020), I finally got HIV out of my mind(with the exception of floaters in my eyes has always stayed with me to this day). I cant say doubts have been in the back of my mind, but I would answer them with all of the HIV tests I took (and with absolutely no exposure to HIV after that encounter) were negative - not one of them showed positive.

So, I got on with my life, until recently. I recently started to get small symptoms of what I can only describe of symptoms I felt back when I was so sick. Currently my symptoms are light and pretty much is the mouth burning sensation and the odd kinda burnt feeling and a bit of numbness in my feet, hands, etc.

Anyway, obviously the fear has hit me back, because I havenít felt this way in all these years until now.
Iím trying to assure myself that this could not be HIV because of all the negative tests I had way back in 2002.

So, am I ignorant and can I assure myself that even though these symptoms seem to be coming back (although very light at this time), there is not a possibility I have HIV?
I honestly Iím afraid of after all these years, it is finally showing in my body. Is this rational or am I overthinking this and other folks on this board have had an experience similar to mine?

I do know this, a positive would destroy my marriage, etc. I can say also that I do not want to get another HIV test, because that is fearful to me, and I keep reminding
That I had never had an HIV exposure after that incident, and had multiple negative HIV tests at least 3, 6 and I believe even a last test a year out from the original sickness.

Iíll close with this, has anyone experienced anything similar to this and with the wisdom on this Board, should I just again move on from HIV fear, because of all of my testing?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. It would definitely be a life changer for me if it now showed up that I indeed have HIV and all of those tests missed something.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Symptoms showing at 19 years?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 12:11:03 pm »
Hiya,

Sorry to hear that you have been having health issues recently. Nothing you mentioned is HIV specific and you should talk to your healthcare provider and treat whatever is making you sick.

I read the thread trying to find any HIV concerns, the incident you mentioned from 19 years ago is not how HIV is transmitted between people. Nobody has ever acquired HIV the way you fear, so totally unneeded you tested over this and of course, the result was negative, so put that idea behind you already.

The only HIV concerns have been, you are sexually active for the past 18 years but have not mentioned been routinely testing for HIV & STI's. You should be testing out of routine at least yearly as an adult.

Finally your partner, ill give you the same advice I give anyone in a relationship.
If you engage in condomless sex with your partner it would meet all the biological conditions needed for you to acquire HIV.

Now I don't judge couples that decide to engage in condomless sex, it's often based on trust within a relationship or past test results. However, just note this trust or past results does not prevent HIV and any unprotected intercourse is simply accepting a possible risk towards you of acquiring HIV.

Test regularly for HIV and far easier to transmit STI's.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions.  Consider starting PrEP as an additional layer of HIV prevention going forward.

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as safe in terms of HIV might still pose a risk for transmission of other far easier to acquire STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM, I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 12:13:23 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Tinker2715

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 01:11:36 pm »
Hi Jim

Thank you for providing your wisdom, that is really helpful.
So there is no way that I could have gotten hiv through fingering which definitely touching the vaginal fluid In my open cut on my finger?

It has just been so hard because of the hiv like symptoms that I have experienced.
If I had never gotten those then I would have never even thought hiv.

Sounds like there isnít a possibility that at least one of the multiple hiv tests I took wouldnít have come back positive at some point if I contracted?

Thanks,

Drew

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 01:15:01 pm »
You're welcome.

There has never been a documented case of HIV transmission via fingering as day to day scrapes, small wounds, cuts, bumps ect etc are not a route.

This was never a risk to start with.

Anyhow, you tested, the result was negative. If you have acquired HIV it was certainly not from what you have been concerned about.

I'm sorry that you have been feeling unwell and hope you feel better soon, please follow-up with your healthcare provider and treat whatever is making you sick.

Remember to reduce your HIV risks, start using condoms for any intercourse, consider PrEP and test at least yealry for STI's & HIV out of routine.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Tinker2715

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 06:37:06 pm »
Ok, thanks for the confirmation and wisdom regarding this topic, I appreciate so much.
Oh, I have never had any risky behavior after that and never will. Just curious, have you ever had any person post with something similar to what Iíve experienced and tested negative but experienced the harsh HIV like symptoms(burning mouth, thrush, severe body pain, night sweats, the sensation of burning under the skin on the body, diarrhea, constant eye floaters, etc) a week or so after possible exposure(but Iím glad you said it wasnít risky - but Iíve just been so convinced that vaginal fluid entering a cut on my finger tip would be risky - but I trust you know way more than me on this topic)? Then have symptoms go away for like 18-19 years and seemingly reappear(at least for right now I have burning mouth and burning sensation under my skin at certain parts of the body, etc).
If you have seen some cases like mine, it would encourage me and Iíll but this HIV stuff behind me - because as I mentioned I have not had any risky behavior apart from that incident.

Thanks so much - I hope Iím not being annoying, itís just that so much of my future is riding on this. Iíd like to put it completely out of my mind - even though the hiv tests I took were back many years ago.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 06:47:23 pm »
Drew,

As said, this incident was never a risk to start with.

Anyhow, you tested, the result was negative. If you have acquired HIV it was certainly not from what you have been concerned about.

I'm sorry that you have been feeling unwell and hope you feel better soon, please follow-up with your healthcare provider and treat whatever is making you sick.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.