Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 08, 2020, 06:27:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 35415
  • Latest: Dubguy
Stats
  • Total Posts: 755025
  • Total Topics: 63755
  • Online Today: 227
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 153
Total: 156

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: abbott determine test  (Read 1620 times)

Offline Shvoren

• Standard
abbott determine test
« on: March 22, 2020, 05:55:20 am »
Hie advisor,

I would like to ask something. I am not very experienced with sex (erectile disfunction) and after years of frustration (no sex at all due to shame) I made a rash decision and may have made a serious mistake. I had sex at a swinger club with a woman who often does gangbangs (not judging). After putting on the condom the wrong way she took it off and turned it over but she had just fingered herself as she was putting on lube. Her vaginal fluids thus came into contact with my "head". I had the sex for a few minutes, I didn't ejaculate (erectile disfnction) and I left. On PEP 44 hrs, but boy is my heart heavy at the moment. Can this be a route from transmission?

Kind regards

Shvoren

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: abbott determine test
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 07:41:39 am »
Hiya,

What your concerned about is not an HIV risk.
Move on with your life.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Shvoren

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 03:00:52 pm »
Dear Jim,

Thank you for your response.

No matter what, stay awesome man.

Blessings

Shvoren

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 08:09:48 am »
You're welcome

Here's what you need to know to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider taking PrEP as an additional layer of protection against HIV going forward.

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as safe in terms of HIV might still pose a risk for transmission of other far easier to acquire STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM, I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here. It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Shvoren

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 01:13:39 pm »
Dear advisor,

Just 2 questions.

Is it possible that the window period after PEP is undefined or indefinite? I ask because I have read a couple of studies showing that receiving ART during the acute phase of infection could lead to false negatives for a while as there may be no viral rebound for a while. A study by Henrich also found someone who initiated ART days after infection, was on ART for over a year (yes I know PEP is shorter) and after interuption they went over 200 days undetectable. I just wanted to get your thoughts on this or counter points.

Kind regards

Shvoren

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 01:19:57 pm »
Hiya,

2 questions, one comment. It's rather irrelevant questions unless you have had an exposure not mentioned here? If you had no exposure, move on with your life.

Is it possible that the window period after PEP is undefined or indefinite? I ask because I have read a couple of studies showing that receiving ART during the acute phase of infection could lead to false negatives for a while as there may be no viral rebound for a while. A study by Henrich also found someone who initiated ART days after infection, was on ART for over a year (yes I know PEP is shorter) and after interuption they went over 200 days undetectable. I just wanted to get your thoughts on this or counter points.

If someone is long time HIV med user like PrEP the testing windows post stopping is well-understood, doesn't apply to you though.

The possibility of PEP delaying the window period slightly for testing is well known and so is the testing time post stopping PEP without continued or new exposures, Stop reading nonsense or outdated/out of context stuff.

Jim
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 01:28:05 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Shvoren

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 06:00:52 pm »
Ok so I am posting this question as someone with extreme anxiety (full disclosure) but I would like to ask the moderators (Jim in particular because "I like your bluntless ") as well as others for their educated opinions. I had sex with a post op trans who has a lot of gangbangs on Saturday 29 February (no judgement) at a swinger club in Stockholm. I wore a condom, but due to inexperience put it on the wrong way the 1st time but she switched it and put it on the right way. I got a BJ (raw), penetrated (with the condom that she put on correctly) but due to erectle dysfunction it rolled up and only covered the head. I am uncircumcised (HIV risk). I also had fresh friction bumps which were bleeding early that morning, but those had plasters (band aids) for whatever that is worth as well as cut on finger with which I fingered her . Due to rolling down of the condom and the setting (her setting gangbang records, both post op vag and anal) as well as the fresh wounds on my inner thighs(bandaged) and rolled up condom the doctors gave me pep which I took for 30 days (admittedly 2 of the 3 doctors didn't want to give me PEP but succumbed because of my insistence and one being indecided) 45 hrs after.
Due to my taking PEP, can I ever be at ease. I mean, I wish to start a family at some point but can I really go ahead? I have read about delayed seroconversion cases in NEJM as well as other articles about how extremely early ART  can hinder the serology of HIV.
My question
***If you had a female you loved, would you be comfortable with me starting a family with her if i tested negative 3 months post exposure?) *** if not, how long?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 07:55:18 pm »
Hiya,

Sorry to hear about the anxiety.

Getting a blowjob and fingering is no HIV risk to you whatsoever.  Same can be said about any wounds on your thighs. The question about the intercourse and PEP has been asked and answered already. All in all, testing outside of standard routine was not even warranted let alone PEP.

So you had no exposure from this encounter to test for - Move on with your life and if you can't consider talking to a therapist about your fears to help you move on, also, if it gives you peace of mind (although unneeded) by all means test at 3 months post-finishing PEP.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 08:05:11 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 08:01:44 pm »
Oh and regarding your partner and starting a family.

I wish to start a family at some point but can I really go ahead?

"At some point" Well, firstly, living with HIV is not a barrier to starting a family and with treatment, it can't be sexually passed on. https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=71864.0

Now ill give you the same advice I give anyone saying they are in a relationship, that is, if you have been engaging in condomless sex with your partner it would meet all the biological conditions needed for you to acquire HIV.

Now I don't judge couples that decide to engage in condomless sex, it's often based on trust within a relationship or past test results. However, just note this trust or past results does not prevent HIV and any unprotected intercourse is simply accepting a possible risk towards you of acquiring HIV.

Test regularly for HIV and far easier to transmit STI's.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Shvoren

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2020, 10:32:05 am »
Hi Jim,
Thank you for your advice. Constant thoughts of what if and fear of what if as opposed to what is, is anxiety. Not sure when and how I will accept my results but that is my battle. Your work is now for others. Thank you.
 Tabhair Aire Duit Féin

Cordially

Shvoren

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 10:41:18 am »
You're welcome.

Wish you all the best coping with the anxiety.

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Shvoren

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2020, 08:49:45 am »
Dear moderator,

Is it possible to post a picture of my abbott determine test, just want to ascertain if there is faint line.

Best regards

Shvoren

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2020, 09:48:10 am »
Hiya,

You can post pictures, but if you see a line even a faint one within the specified wait time, that's normally within 15-20 min depending on the test then you should follow-up with your healthcare provider for more specific testing.

Best, Jim
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 09:59:50 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Shvoren

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2020, 12:52:40 pm »
Hie Jim

If you zoom into the picture on the far most left hand side of the antigen there are these black spots that look like stains. Is it that the PEP hindered them from coming out or am I absolyetely losing it? Iknow this is not a mental assylum but I just need to know if I am seeing wrongf. I have uploaded two images of the same test, taken in the same minute after the nurse finished the consultazion.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mVZGXSV3LhzcST29m32aA8akAlRSRiNK/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14rTT5OtoGWBQLOJYD0APLP-ymVarn7mn/view?usp=sharing

Regards

Shvoren

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2020, 01:06:58 pm »
Shvoren,

I've merged your posts for you.

Nothing you mentioned here was an HIV concern so unless there was some sexual contact that you have left out, the test results will be negative.

I don't see anything wrong with your test and I've already explained what to do if you have doubts. Now I am sorry that you are scared, however,  I can't help with that and I am not going to do the merry-go-round of pretending what you posted is an HIV concern, required testing or PEP.

Move on with your life and keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as safe in terms of HIV might still pose a risk for transmission of other far easier to acquire STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if condomless intercourse occurs

Hiya,

Sorry to hear about the anxiety.

Getting a blowjob and fingering is no HIV risk to you whatsoever.  Same can be said about any wounds on your thighs. The question about the intercourse and PEP has been asked and answered already. All in all, testing outside of standard routine was not even warranted let alone PEP.

So you had no exposure from this encounter to test for - Move on with your life and if you can't consider talking to a therapist about your fears to help you move on, also, if it gives you peace of mind (although unneeded) by all means test at 3 months post-finishing PEP.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.