Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 05, 2020, 05:54:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 753340
  • Total Topics: 63523
  • Online Today: 304
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 246
Total: 248

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Any advice for nutrition or supplements for neurological health  (Read 382 times)

Pete_ and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online Pete_

• Standard
Hi errbody.

I am wondering if anyone has had advanced hiv aids symptoms that affected their brain(not speaking of secondary infections but rather progressed untreated hiv) has had success with any specific supplement, medication, or diet that seems to be helpful to restore full neurological health.

If you have, looking for suggestions.

I was diagnosed about 6 months ago, was a late diagnose at 5 CD4 and aids dementia symptoms had began by then. Probably had untreated HIV for about a decade. A vast majority of those symptoms went away when I started ART therapy and I have made significant improvements in overall health. Still having issues with fatigue and what not, and am trying to nourish myself best I can. I am certain the virus caused some damage for my cognitive health. I am completely sane though I feel worn out cognitively and I donít just mean emotionally or physiologically. It is most noticeable if I lack rest or nutrition. Honestly I donít know how to describe it, some odd thoughts, though Iím not delusional, more like seems like Iím short of short circuiting I think is the best way to describe it. I am not sure if anyone can relate to what Iím trying to describe. It has improved a lot. Was far worse and more disconcerting prior to and right after diagnosis when my viral count was higher and CD4 lower. By the way, have been thorough tested for secondary infections and didnít have any, have done all sorts of blood work, spinal tap, mri, all that stuff. I believe the symptoms were just from the virus itself. Never had severe aids dementia symtoms  like seizures or becoming unresponsive but prior to diagnosis I was at wits end and those symptoms probably would have been next(well I was still able to act somewhat normal, in my mind it felt like I was descending into hell or something it was horrible, I donít feel like that anymore though when I havenít eaten enough or slept enough the feeling in my mind is disconcerting and unpleasant).

I am doing my best to consume as much calories and protein as I can. Seems difficult to get ahead in this regard, but itís doable. While I am functionally normal I get sort of burnt out feeling and it feels like a strain cognitively to maintain. Definitely progressing in the right direction as my health improves and I continue with good nutrition. Though compared to how I was feeling a few years ago, Iím still not feeling quite normal and the disease has taken a toll. I am 27, relatively young, and feel like can make a full recovery still in that regard. Supplementing with omega threes, trying to get plenty of protein and all of that. Still somewhat unpleasant and not quite where I want to be. Like I said, difficult to describe, more of a feeling almost, difficult to put in words or pinpoint or describe as its not like something I have experienced in my life prior. Also seems like anti inflammatories help. I use extreme moderation, though for some reason, I feel more normal when I take pain killers, I donít take them everyday, donít want a dependency and want to take it easy on my liver and kidneys and what not, though Iíll take them on occasion in moderate dosage and it seems to help me feel more normal physically and mentally even though not psychiatric medication. Seems like I still have a lot of inflammation which may explain that. By no means the route I want to take, just being honest. My physical health has improved but Iím still sort of in discomfort regularly, no specific pain, just feel like my body is depleted and strained. I want to heal preferably from nutrition and not cover symptoms with medication.

I want to know if anyone has any advice for diet, supplements, therapies, or medication with neurological restorative benefits. Getting my sleep and eating well seems to be best I can do. For attention and energy modafinil helps, though Iím not taking it often because trying to be easy on my liver and more focus on rest and sleep than alertness and energy for now. That sort of is something to help symptoms rather than repairing damage done.

If anyoneís been down this road already and can recommend any specific supplements or food that helped you, awesome, thank you. Any advice is appreciated. If you are newly diagnosed or experiencing late stage symptoms keep fighting. For me it got better. Just trying to do my best to get back to my full potential and feel more normal and like myself again(honestly, aside from fatigue, cognitively Iím feeling better than I had last year and half prior to diagnosis, also not having headaches, which I had the year before diagnosis). I will tell you, if you are experiencing any symptoms like those, and or are new to treatment, avoid alcohol at all costs, even if it is temporarily pleasant, for me it always made it worst(not drinking at all, have a had a few drinks since diagnosis for special occasions but still avoiding completely).

Thanks, have a good day, stay safe out there

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.