Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2020, 02:44:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 754530
  • Total Topics: 63691
  • Online Today: 238
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 71
Total: 71

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Does Your Doc Push Expensive Meds?  (Read 828 times)

Offline MitchMiller

Does Your Doc Push Expensive Meds?
« on: March 21, 2020, 08:25:57 pm »
I finally reentered care after more than a 12 year hiatus.  I've been HIV+ since 2001.  The first thing the doc said was that my meds were really old and I should consider switching.  I'm taking Sustiva 400mg (2 Sustiva 200mg capsules) + Epzicom.  He suggested Joluca.  A quick search on Joluca's cost yields:  The monthly cost for Juluca oral tablet (50 mg-25 mg) is around $2,837...

I buy my meds from a foreign pharmacy for a total cost of $175/month.  I will be using Medicare in 18 months.  My viral load test is undetectable < 20 as of 3/19.  I don't want to switch to anything that will stress my limited fixed retirement income. 

In a head-to-head test of Sustiva 600mg vs Rilpivirine, Sustiva was found to be non-inferior.  The only reason to switch would seem to be cholesterol levels, but the doc didn't know mine.  I'm assuming a head-to-head using a 400mg dose of Sustiva would yield even better results.

I'm wondering if docs are getting some sort of under-the-table "benefits" for prescribing expensive new meds, when older meds work just fine.   Has anyone else ever gotten the impression that their doc was pushing expensive meds without good cause?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 08:38:40 pm by MitchMiller »

Offline harleymc

Re: Does Your Doc Push Expensive Meds?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 10:57:43 pm »
If you want to stay on your generics no-one is forcing you to change.

I'd be pretty cautious of speculating on someone's motives, especially where there would be an implication that your doctor might be breaching professional ethics. Why don't you ask two simple questions to your doctor.

Do you get a kickback?
Why are you suggesting the new medication.

Having spent more than ten years out of care, sounds like you have some trust issues with the health care industry.

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 03:38:52 am »
NO, i don't have that impression.

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 12:57:41 am »
Harley:  I will ask why he suggested the change during the next appointment, but in the initial conversation he stated that now there were new medications that address issues with old meds, like bone loss.  However, bone loss isn't a major problem with my regimen.  At any rate, the switch is unaffordable for me so it's a no-go.  Can't get blood from a rock as they say!  and generic availability seems to be growing.  I see there is now a generic Bictarvy; generic Dolutegravir has been around for at least a year... so I can create my own generic Dovato; and could even substitute Sustiva for Rilpivirine to create a regimen like Juluca.

And yes, I do admit I'm a skeptic as much with the medical establishment as I was with auto mechanics when I used to own a car. 

That major reason for being out of care was inability to acquire insurance prior to Obamacare, and later to save $$$.  As I'm getting up there in years, I figured it's time to rejoin care.  I was cringing today as I looked at all the blood tests that were done during my first appointment from my online patient record.  I'm expecting to be about $2000 poorer after I get that lab bill.  At least everything looked pretty much like it did 20 years ago.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 01:09:50 am by MitchMiller »

Offline Mojito

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 10:10:42 am »
I was on medicine for which I had to pay from my own pocket. My doctor put me on free medical plan from government and now I don't need to pay anything for medicines. The only amount I need to pay is the half yearly CD4 and viral load test.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.