Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 07, 2020, 11:39:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 35415
  • Latest: Dubguy
Stats
  • Total Posts: 755011
  • Total Topics: 63753
  • Online Today: 307
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 220
Total: 223

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A Christmas science fiction story ?  (Read 5512 times)

Offline em

A Christmas science fiction story ?
« on: September 02, 2019, 12:33:17 am »

I am writing this here now so that the day after Christmas I am wishing I could have said something before the holiday to get an idea like this of the ground

I have been kicking around this idea now for years and everyone that would listen is tired of hearing about it .

I thought how would it be some people from our time going back 2020 years to the first year .

and being part of the story . I have written stuff but without a sounding board to bounce the ideas off of it gets confusing drifty and seems pointless.

just thought what if three people from our time find there way to this momentous moment and what might they think ?  finding them selves the three wise men.

then have another person enter the story an unassuming shepherd walks over and speaks to them in the language of their time 

they ask who he is and he says my explaining  myself to you would be like you explaining  your selves to the people around you . they would not understand and I believe   neither would you .  all kinds of conversation could take place here ?

have him say
 this  does give hope to billions of people this moment in time . considered to be a pivotal spiritual event revered in the hearts and minds of countless people

he asks not that there is anything so wrong about it  children need  comforting in a dark cold world such as it is even old children of all ages

what do you think these people might think if they new about . this large white haired bearded man who sports a red suit and hat. who flies through the night giving gifts to children in honor of the birth of this child ? 

children are given hope from these gestures but do you think the people here would be able to comprehend  the thought or think it absurd ?

it is something that might entertain and enlighten about our traditions and what outsiders looking in my think of them.  might even give doubters a thought to  believe in something any thing even if mistakes are made along the way the only truth of life is things change  good bad up and down at that moment you might not  be able to see the consequences in your own future but at that moment what might the result be .

please pardon me just wanted to share a thought

I believe others out there in the world might benefit from such a thing as something to believe in even some might consider it absurd and way to far out there. giving hope to  the hopeless is to me a worth while endeavor even if it is rapped up in an entertaining  passage of time spent reading or watching a story unfold before them 

please take this in the spirit it was given as just an idea that I felt worth sharing

all the best to you

EM

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: A Christmas science fiction story ?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 02:33:53 pm »
It's sept, too early to be thinking about X-Mas for me... ill come back and read it in Dec  ;)
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 07:30:32 pm »
what do you think these people might think if they new about . this large white haired bearded man who sports a red suit and hat. who flies through the night giving gifts to children in honor of the birth of this child?
ah! the clash of the religious and secular holiday worlds. In the 70s in my very fundamental baptist church/school, we performed an Xmas play where St. Nick was portrayed as a false god, a golden calf elf so to speak.  The message was to gird our loins against the pagan hordes, and try to get the "evil" Santa in stores and community squares replaced with the Nativity, angels, and the story of the birth of their god.

these days, completely divorced from the religion that I raised under, I see still an odd clash of the secular and religious but in a different way. In the "thoughts and prayers" expressed by many of the religious, I see them equating their god to a Santa-like figure. Hurricane coming your way? Pray that god spares you when you're in the path. But didn't god cause the hurricane in the first place, so why would he divert it? Got cancer or some awful terminal disease? Pray that god takes it away. What a great Xmas present that would be....although totally impossible to happen. Cancer and terminal illnesses don't miraculously vanish. That's science and medication that stop cancer or hiv.

anywho, the clash of the secular and religious is an age-old archetype and always leads to an interesting story/debate/discussion/play ;)

It's sept, too early to be thinking about X-Mas for me
thankfully we're having a nice long Summer here in the Carolinas and I'm still in the pool everyday. Even though the trees are starting to lose some leaves, Xmas seems a long ways off when you're drifting around on a pool float looking at the clouds. :D
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2017
Tivicay/Prezcobix

Offline em

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 09:24:54 am »
I mentioned this now to have time to develop the idea for the up coming season.

these things as I understand take time and thought to be ready . just did not want to wake up the day after the holiday and say I wish I had given this idea some thought

all the best to you

EM

Offline em

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 04:01:14 am »
here it is almost christmas and another idea I could not get off the ground

maybe next year .

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 05:02:12 pm »
Okay so its nearly Xmas, I read it.

If I was to travel back in time and was to parade as one of the wise men ... Things would be different, Jesus and Mary who? Let's leave it at that before someone get's too offended.  ;)

As for the commercial yet the benevolent Santa, well I would reintroduce him in the timeline without the connection to the Church/Jesus, the Victorians were always doing things out of boredom so would stop by there on my way back to 2020.

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined forum Dec/2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 09:49:34 am »
 8)

Happy belated Festivus  :P   Festivus for the restofus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX55AzGku5Y

Ray
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 09:51:54 am by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom , 20 mg of Atorvastatin, 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Amlodipine Besolate 5mg-- Updated 1/14/20

Diagnosed positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of March 13,20,  Viral load remains <40

CD 4 @422 /  CD4 % @ 16 %

68 years young.

Offline em

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 09:11:57 pm »
I just recalled an old memory from thirty years ago  from am HIV support group meeting. there was a social worker at this meeting that said  after we all shared what we were thinking about that week and how we were going to get by and this and that . then the social worker said I would like everyone to stand in a circle and I would like to lead is in prayer . they said our father who. then stopped.  no one in our group could recall the next words . the social worker said do you all feel god is not present here that you do not feel part of the religious community having been burned by HIV. then they waited a while to allow everyone to have there own deep thoughts on the topic  then they finished the our father prayer .  it made me think that even faced with this bad development HIV was thirty years ago that maybe hope faith and a small amount of belief might be a worth while thought to carry around in my heart mind and soul for the dark days ahead that HIV had in store for me . did it help ?  I am still alive when many friends are not . I never said to anyone believe or else just felt that believing was at that in me the right thing for me .

I met a priest online who was working in Africa with AIDS orphans who told me he  on average  was berrying a young infant child every week . this was around 1990 he retired and passed away. the person who had taken over his efforts has children graduating from high school and going on to college thirty years later .

this minister at a church I started to go to  .  I told him about my HIV , when I met my wife a few years later he was the one that married us and he new about my HIV. but married us without any reservations or reasons why we should not get married. he has since passed away himself .

religion might have not done the right thing all the time but the idea of pulling people together to better there lives and to be better people should be what the church is about . the other faults of the people in the church well they are people and capable of doing the stupid things people do . 

to bad getting the good things done that they can do is sometimes over shadowed by the stupid things other people do using misguided  beliefs to justify doing the wrong thing .

sorry just wanted to share an HIV   experiences that were mixed with aspects of  religious awareness . take it with  a grain of salt of as nothing at all . but if we try to use the resources around  us to do better and the church just happens to be one of those resources that can be used to benefit people . then not using it seems to be not so advantageous of a choice to make .  but that is just one person observation feel free to make your own choices.

all the best to you

em

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 02:44:39 pm »
but the idea of pulling people together to better there lives and to be better people should be what the church is about .
no that's not correct. religion is about following certain practices and principles to appease an omnipotent god in the hope of obtaining eternal life. Religion is not about bettering anyone's personal life (that's the false "prosperity gospel" nonsense propagated these days) nor is about being a better person (faith not works is rewarded by eternal salvation), although a faithful person should be a "better person" that is not always the way it works out.

the church just happens to be one of those resources that can be used to benefit people .
unless you're an lgbtq person. All major religions have policies against homosexuality which leads to many people being kicked out of their homes amd shunned by their relatives, with emotional scars from a religious stigma that many never overcome. Many people (not just lgbtq by the way) are negatively impacted their entire life by religion. Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death for teenagers, and lgbtq kids are 4 times more likely to commit suicide than their peers. Often that sense of not being loved, of not being normal, or not being able to follow certain religious practices devoutly enough leads to the suicide or lifelong emotional/mental issues for people who cannot reconcile religious beliefs with their innate sexual orientation.

then not using it seems to be not so advantageous of a choice to make
however, i will agree with that point - only because of necessity. Religious stigma is a HUGE driving force behind the 1-in-2 chance of a young black male gay man becoming HIV+ in the South. I know too many people who have not gotten tested, not gotten treatment, not remained adherent, or who have already died because their religion got in the way of staying alive! I'm a staunch, vocal advocate of black churches getting involved by stopping their hateful ways, owning up to the damage they have caused, and reaching out to black women and black MSM (two of the hardest hit groups in the South) to reduce the stigma that the church fostered and to teach about the needs of HIV testing and treatment. While there has been some improvement, most black churches in the South would rather have lgbtq people die than dealing with HIV. It seems their god is ok with people dying (no "better life" for you) as long as it's the people you and your god don't like (not many "better people" there in that description).
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2017
Tivicay/Prezcobix

Offline em

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 10:46:02 am »
extremely valid points.

it may not be the way it is. but the way it should be .   

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.