Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 31, 2020, 03:32:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 753239
  • Total Topics: 63508
  • Online Today: 299
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 275
Total: 278

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Steady decline of globulin levels while on Tenofovir  (Read 926 times)

Offline frederick

Steady decline of globulin levels while on Tenofovir
« on: December 16, 2019, 01:28:26 pm »
Anyone else experience a steady decline in blood globulin levels? Mine went from a high of 30 g/L before I started my meds (Efavirenz, Lamivudine and Tenofovir) to 20 g/L as of today (Normal range is 23 to 35)..  I've also noticed my urine is foamier than usual (think beer foam). Urine albumin and micro-albumin tests are both negative .. Other kidney markers are also unremarkable..

I read somewhere that urine microglobulin is a better marker for early kidney damage from tenofovir. Unfortunately, we don't have the said test in my country..

Just wondering if anyone here was made to switch to another regimen by their doctor due to declining globulin level while on tenofovir?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Steady decline of globulin levels while on Tenofovir
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 01:45:57 pm »
I thought you were going to switch a few weeks ago? Did that not happen or did I misunderstand?

Anyhow, 20 is not fastly out at least I thought 20-30 was the average range. What did the doc say about the result and switching?

Best, Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline frederick

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 02:14:00 pm »
Hey Jim. I was able to purchase the meds already but I haven't started taking it. I'm holding off on switching until I'm absolutely sure that it's necessary. My doc doesn't recommend I switch cause my current regimen is working well in terms of suppressing VL. He also thinks the falling globulin level is no cause for alarm and that my foamy urine is due to how I "metabolize" the drugs. I'm not buying it that's why I'm here to ask for inputs from other members :)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 02:50:28 pm »
Well, like most of us you have your Doctor's medical opinion to help guide you, but ultimately the decision to switch or not is totally yours.

Best, Jim

P.S

If you don't mind me asking and purely out of interest what drug combo did you end up getting for the potential switch? You mentioned a few combos's in the last thread. https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=73242
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 02:58:25 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline frederick

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 04:46:17 am »
Well, like most of us you have your Doctor's medical opinion to help guide you, but ultimately the decision to switch or not is totally yours.

Best, Jim

P.S

If you don't mind me asking and purely out of interest what drug combo did you end up getting for the potential switch? You mentioned a few combos's in the last thread. https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=73242

I decided on DOVATO to do away with tenofovir completely. I hope I made the right choice

Offline wardp

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 05:51:45 pm »
I've been of tenofovir about a year and  my creatinine clearence is still in the 60s before I started tenofovir it was in the 90s. Not sure if this is related to tenofovir or just getting old?
Diagnosed 20,July 2017. Cd4 289, 21% vld .3,462 Started atripla 4 Aug 2017 5oct 2017 cd4 384 21%, vl ud less than 20. Switch to complera 4 Nov 2017 switched to stribild 15 the Nov. Switched to truvada efavirence 200mgx2 14 Dec 2017, 2 Feb 2018, us cd4  466, 25%  CD 8 ,595, 32%..1 may 2018
switched  to instgra truvada.7th june switched to truvada  nevirapine stavudine. .21 june switched to truvada nevirapine. X 2 a day...9 aug 2018 ud. 2n Nov 2018 CD 4. 455..22.70% 13th Nov switched  to lamivir and nevirapine  due to kidney issues...jan 10,2019 UD..may 13 2019 ud  cd4 482 28% 14th nov 2019 ud. Cd4 414 .27% cd8 444 29%

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2019, 01:43:59 am »
I decided on DOVATO to do away with tenofovir completely. I hope I made the right choice

Okay. well if you do decide to switch keep us posted on that.
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Mindless

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 11:15:36 am »
I've been of tenofovir about a year and  my creatinine clearence is still in the 60s before I started tenofovir it was in the 90s. Not sure if this is related to tenofovir or just getting old?

Mine dropped from 90s to 70s since starting TDF (2.5 years ago). Dr seems not to worry till ups are over 60, though Iím starting to worry now. Iím 50 yo, normal range for age bracket is over 90. Will take an eye on the next blood tests and decide what to do.

Hugs

Offline frederick

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2019, 11:39:36 am »
Mine dropped from 90s to 70s since starting TDF (2.5 years ago). Dr seems not to worry till ups are over 60, though Iím starting to worry now. Iím 50 yo, normal range for age bracket is over 90. Will take an eye on the next blood tests and decide what to do.

Hugs

My creatinine level is actually on a downtrend since starting TDF almost 2 years ago. I can only surmise that my daily consumption of lemon water (a natural diuretic) and a curcumin supplement helped in achieving this. I've also reduced my consumption of red meat. You might wanna give them a shot

Have you had the chance to test your globulin level?   

Offline frederick

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 03:06:10 pm »

It could be tenofovir. Are you on TDF or TAF?

Offline venom_X

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 03:08:02 pm »
I have the exactly opposite situation. My serum globulin levels increased a lot (now to 3.7 g/dL) since I got infected. I can't tell if it's due to the medication or due to the infection itself since I started the treatment 2 weeks post infection.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced increase in the serum globulin levels.
Infected Mid June, 2019
Acute syndrome late June, started Biktarvy
3 weeks post infection (1 week on ART): VL: 330k, CD4 400 (33%), CD8 460, CD4/CD8 ratio: 0.9
5 weeks pi: VL: 300, CD4: 500 (30%), CD8: 690, ratio: 0.7
8 weeks: VL: 30,  CD4: 590 (28%), CD8: 920, ratio: 0.6
12 weeks: VL <30, CD4: 750 (37%), CD8: 700, ratio 1.1
20 weeks: VL<30, CD4 550 (dropped from 750 from 2 months ago, 38%), CD8 450, Ratio 1.2, elevated liver enzymes

Offline Mindless

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 06:58:47 am »
My creatinine level is actually on a downtrend since starting TDF almost 2 years ago. I can only surmise that my daily consumption of lemon water (a natural diuretic) and a curcumin supplement helped in achieving this. I've also reduced my consumption of red meat. You might wanna give them a shot

Have you had the chance to test your globulin level?

Will take the eGFR monitored.  Thanks for the advice will check it. Globulin level? Not sure about that, something they do during routine blood work?

Hugs

Offline harleymc

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 02:31:54 pm »
Which tenofovir?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.