Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2020, 12:25:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 35234
  • Latest: stupot
Stats
  • Total Posts: 753214
  • Total Topics: 63502
  • Online Today: 294
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 253
Total: 254

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Resistance to Integrase Inhibitors. Please, take your meds!  (Read 695 times)

Offline pozsocalguy

Resistance to Integrase Inhibitors. Please, take your meds!
« on: December 12, 2019, 08:35:31 pm »
So.... I was about to enter a clinicial study to go on the new injectables coming out because I have a less than stellar record of remembering to take my pill every day. 1 little pill and I have a hard time.

Anyhow.... Last year my genotype was done and I had Zero resistance to anything. This year, I had a drug overdose (yes, I'm an idiot and still think I'm 21) and had to go on dialysis after acute kidney failure which I recovered from. After dialysis, my viral load went up. They performed a Genotype and I was resistant to 2/3 of the meds in Triumeq. I enrolled in the study and they ran some tests. One was the INSTI genotype. My doctor didn't do the INSTI genotype because as he and many others think, "Nobody is resistant to them". Well... that isn't the case. Although less common, some people are. Apparently I am now too. I'm also no longer a candidate for the once a month injectables.

My forgetfulness of taking Triumeq wasn't any worse than any other regimen I've ever been on and in the past, never developed resistance... Somehow though, it now took. I'm resistant to 3 NRTIs and all the INSTIs.  I felt sorry for myself for about a day, then snapped out of it. Luckily, a doctor from the study recommended a regime to tell my doctor and I was just prescribed it today.... Prescobix/Descovy/Pifeltro.  I have hope it will work and feel a little better today. I still feel like I was kicked in the stomach though. An entire class of drugs (and the ones that are pushed the most now days and are in everything) wiped out and half of another class. My own actions led me to this point but I just wanted to give you all a little heads up, take your medicine. It sucks going from having every option to 1 or 2.  For the last 20 years (I was diagnosed in my 20s and am now in my 40s) I've sorta taken for granted how lucky we all are to have these drugs that keep us alive and allow us to have a good quality of life. It can all disappear in such a short moment.

To think, I had a hard time with one pill and now will have three. I've already bought myself a 1 month pill planner on Amazon. If this happens again, it could be no options.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 08:43:30 pm by pozsocalguy »
I am the libertarian, atheist, lovechild of Charles Nelson Reilly and Paul Lynde. Oh, and PS....  Madonna is EVERYTHING, Everybody else is NOTHING.

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Resistance to Integrase Inhibitors. Please, take your meds!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 08:56:29 pm »
I felt sorry for myself for about a day, then snapped out of it.
from one person with med resistance to another, sorry to hear about your issue. I'm glad to hear you're moving ahead, working with your doctors, and getting another regime.

While there isn't any reason to beat yourself over your head for the things you didn't do, try to use this as a point in time to change habits. Timers, alarms, pill boxes, phone-from-a-friend, whatever it takes to work on developing a habit of NOT missing doses

best wishes on everything going well, and getting your adherence level up.  ;) :)
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2017
Tivicay/Prezcobix

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 04:16:13 am »
I'm normally 100% adherent and have been on the same regimen nearly 20 years; however I missed one dose in Oct and one in Nov.  I use a pill box, so I know I missed them.  I'm always on the computer every night (don't have a TV), so I use a popup reminder at 8:00pm.  Because I have my pillbox in the bathroom, I can only surmise I closed my reminder, walked into the bathroom to take the meds and instead used the toilet and left the room w/o taking the meds.  Hmm.. senior moments?  Seems like a good habit would be to double check meds have been taken before going to sleep each night.

I'm at home almost virtually every night, so I can only imagine how hard it could be to be adherent if your schedule varies from day to day.

Offline ZachR

• Let's look at the stars again
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 06:48:02 am »
You shouldn't blame yourself too much in case you were not missing doses but only being late with a few hours. You mentioned having kidney failure and subsequent dialysis - there is a chance that this abruptly affected your drug levels and gave rise to the emergence of resistence, but still... from none resistence to a combined resistance in a year - sounds like a great accomplishment for that naaty HIV...
Still a very good reminder for the rest of us, including me, to not take it for granted and be meticulous - I just reinstalled my reminder app, because though I never missed a dose, I happen to move around the original timing +/- 2 hours...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 06:53:31 am by ZachR »
25.10.19 VL 43
26.05.19  CD4+ 685 %26 VL 55
27.03.19  CD4+ 850 %31 VL 24
***Switched to Biktarvy due to side effects.
25.02.19  CD4+ 740 %30 VL 78
15.01.19  CD4+ 1600(might be wrong) %0.7 VL 54
05.11.18  CD4+ 720 VL 1,100
17.09.18  CD4+ 962 %25 VL 14,000,000 - Started first regimen on Triumeq
15.07.18 - diagnosed, CD4+ 490 %20
20.04.18 - infected

https://ibb.co/X74GV0X

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.