Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2020, 03:17:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 756158
  • Total Topics: 63918
  • Online Today: 215
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 153
Total: 155

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Fasting  (Read 1139 times)

Offline remo85

Fasting
« on: December 12, 2019, 07:04:56 pm »
Hi guys!
I've read some things about fasting. Some positive, some not so much. Has anyone got experience with it? Is it something that won't affect your health as a person with hiv?
My doctor was...particularly insistent in me eating all three meals or more being very specific in stating that if I didn't my overall health would be affected. I did as he said and honestly, sometimes I eat without even wanting to and now I'm some pounds fatter, which doesn't make me happy at all ;D. And now I would like to try fasting so I'm a bit confused...

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Fasting
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 08:27:28 pm »
honestly, sometimes I eat without even wanting to and now I'm some pounds fatter, which doesn't make me happy at all
have you actually gotten overweight? or is it just more pounds than you would like?

quite frankly, you've given yourself a good solution. If you not even wanting to eat, then don't eat. Or eat less so you don't put on so much weight. (or eat a lot of fattening stuff and work out to burn it off ;) )
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

Offline remo85

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2019, 09:16:09 pm »
thanks for replying man
well, I equate not eating with getting sick. My dr is known for being very good and I took his advice. He said there was like.. heart and organ-related issues related to not eating the textbook definition of a ''good meal'' 3 times a day. So since I was diagnosed 5 years ago, eating on time and healthy has been a consistent source of stress. If for example, I have to stay at work for whatever reason and have to skip a meal I get really anxious and angry. That didn't happen before. And I work in advertising so you can imagine the night I have to skip stuff and the stress that comes with it. 
Regarding the weight.. well, I haven't gained more than 20 something pounds but my cholesterol is going crazy.

Offline Genomity

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 12:19:45 pm »
I noticed long time ago that doctors in the US have no idea about fasting at all (for the most part) and to be on a safe side they always say "oh that's BS don't starve it's unhealthy", and when it comes to HIV they go nuts about it. In other parts of the world (Europe, Asia) long fasting is much more appreciated and people use it to stay healthy and younger.

I've searched the whole internet on the topic (and I know long fasting is very beneficial for your body and immune system 'cause if you fast properly and at least 5 days it starts regeneration process) and actually at this point there is no known case when HIV+ did fasting for a long time, but I really wonder what would our immune system do with the virus. But it's still unknown for HIV+ people.

What I do is I fast once a week (one day) just for my body to have rest and it's fine with me and my health, my tests are good, undetectable and CD4 is 1100.

Again, doctors don't know anything about fasting (for the most part) and since there is no data on fasting for HIV+ it's all on us. I'd say do it just once a month (as a start), do tests and go from there.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 12:28:05 pm »
I know long fasting is very beneficial for your body and immune system 'cause if you fast properly and at least 5 days it starts regeneration process

Any peer-reviewed published links to back this up?  Thank you.

Jim

P.s on a personal note about the below.

I really wonder what would our immune system do with the virus.

Well, my own guess would be probably nothing it does not already do or not do, at least not with a huge difference. Plenty of less fortunate people without daily food supplies have or have had HIV

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Genomity

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 12:49:28 pm »
I can back this up by non-English links for as I said before in the US fasting is not much appreciated as in other places thus you won't find as much stuff about it in English, but here's some I found just now:

https://lifeapps.io/fasting/what-to-expect-on-a-5-day-prolonged-fast/
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/fasting-benefits

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 12:58:35 pm »
Not what I had in mind.

What I am asking for is peer-reviewed studies for the medical claim. Benefits for the immune system & body and 5 days regeneration

Jim

P.S

To help you out this is a peer-reviewed study regarding the effects of intermittent fasting, this is the level I'm looking for when we state facts or outcomes. Took me 2 mins to find it's the top in the list

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1550413119304292

On the other hand, below is an opinion regarding fasting more particular fad fasting diets something not really addressed in the study I mentioned. 

https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/diet-myth-truth-fasting-effective-weight-loss#1

Jim

« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 01:19:10 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2019, 01:38:45 pm »
@OP

Sorry for disrupting the flow a bit.

sometimes I eat without even wanting to and now I'm some pounds fatter,

Personally I can't really help you on this topic other than my own personal experience that if I am not feeling hungry I don't eat, I don't force myself as doing so would ruin what I find a pleasurable experience.

My diet to lose weight (I looked pregnant) was to be more mindful about what I eat when I do. So more dairy, local eggs and meat and more fruit instead of eating fast food and far, far more movement, so daily walking routines

Perhaps talk to your doctor again, explain you are now eating even when you don't want to out of fear/concern because of what they said about 3 meals a day. Perhaps they can elaborate as I somehow doubt they had intended the comment to have this affect on you. 

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Grendal

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 11:05:25 am »
I fast sometimes for spiritual reasons and told my doctor about it. My drug needs food, thought I would need to wait 90 days to have a drug that doesnít need food but it quickly became available to me. Have shed excess fat over the past couple of years, I eat high quality foods when I eat (most of the time) but happy to have an option when I donít. Blood lipids are now perfectly in healthy range. Longest fast was 72 hours, will only do that once or twice a year.

Listen to your body, eat when hungry. Lots of fresh vegetables, eggs, meat. I get plenty of exercise so itís important for me to eat plenty and well when I eat, a 36-42 hour break from food when Iíve eaten poorly helps me get back on track. But n=1, what works for me may not be right for you. I donít eat much grain, bread or sweets but donít totally omit anything - some things may only eat once or twice a year.

Offline MrHopeful

• Where there is life, there is hope!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 07:28:26 pm »
I have been eating paleo for a decade and use intermittent fasting on a weekly basis. Iíve not noticed any negative impact on my health.
Diagnosed: 2/18/19
Viral Load: 175000
CD4: 330
Started Tirumeq: 4/22/19
5/22/19
Viral Load: 320
CD4:639
8/14/19
Viral Load: Undetectable
9/17/19 Start Biktarvy

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.