Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2019, 04:57:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 750086
  • Total Topics: 63029
  • Online Today: 302
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 244
Total: 247

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Mugume256 - Introduction thread  (Read 622 times)

Offline Mugume256

• Standard
Mugume256 - Introduction thread
« on: November 11, 2019, 03:57:59 pm »
Hiya,

What is the dolutegravir going to be combined with? Why is your doctor wanting to switch?

Dolutegravir (Tivicay) can be taken with or without food, I've been taking Dolutegravir based combo's since Aug-2014 so just over 5 years now. I've had no major concerns with Dolutegravir, some settling in dreams/insomnia but i switched to taking it before breakfast to resolve that but that's just me. It's not everyone's cup of tea but that could be said about any drug.

Best discuss with your doctor beforehand but unless there is an issue with the current combo, i see no reason if you do switch and its turns out not to be your cup of tea why you couldn't switch back.

Best, Jim

https://www.poz.com/drug/tivicay
https://www.poz.com/article/morning-dosing-tivicay-may-ease-insomnia-side-effect

Hello Jim , im new on here .. was requesting for clarity on what you mean by taking it before breakfast( does that meam with breakfast or a couple of hours after breakfast..im really struggling with timings because of the discomfort i get mentally when taken with a meal either heavy or light.. what advise can you give me ..ps im on tdf 3tc dtg

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Mugume256 - Introduction thread
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 05:58:49 pm »
Hiya,

I'm sorry to hear you are having problems taking the combo with food.

The combination can be taken without food, I normally pop my pills whenever I happen to wake up and after that, I need at least an hour before thinking about breakfast.  Is your doctor aware that you are struggling to take the meds?

Also, have to ask are you living with HIV or taking this as some sort of PEP regime? If you are living with HIV how are you getting on for the rest? What are your labs looking like? How are you generally feeling?

Best, Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Mugume256

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 01:17:08 pm »
Born with hiv, been on ART for 20yrs, switched to dtg two years ago. UD for most of my adult life, here the doctors(Uganda) are promoting Dtg and still have little research on side effects. Been struggling with neuropsychotic side effects, i take it with a heavy meal bse i can be more energetic,my memory is good, ive gained weight except the depression, fatigue..its like im going crazy yet wen i take on an empty stomach i become very inactive and have no energy for stuff , i have haf difficulty with school completion, currently giving my degree a second shot( restarted). I have really failed to be consistent in sch because of my medication, didnt really have support to advise on the best way to take it and i had aalot of freedom growing up on medication. But with dtg it has been good and also tough mentally , it makes me feel like giving up on life. Im considering a switch .

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 01:54:58 pm »
Hiya,

Thanks for the update, appreciate it.

DTG quite a lot is known about it from studies and clinical data, pretty early on it was clear a heavy meal would increase exposure, anyhow I think DTG is great but it's not everyone's cup of tea certainly not if it's affecting or worsening the depression.

End of the day if you are struggling I would talk to your doctor and if there are no other underlying issues consider a switch and get help if you can with the depression.

Do you have any thoughts on what combinations would be available to you?

currently giving my degree a second shot( restarted)
Glad to hear you are giving education another go, wish I had done more when I was younger. Is there something, in particular, you want to study down the line?

Best, Jim

Effect of Food on the Pharmacokinetics
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3294934/

Depression
https://www.poz.com/article/tivicay-component-triumeq-may-rare-severe-depression-side-effect

https://www.poz.com/article/tivicay-top-dropout-rate-due-neuropsychiatric-effects-among-integrase-inhibitors
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2019 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.