Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2019, 09:06:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 749298
  • Total Topics: 62909
  • Online Today: 748
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 281
Total: 283

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: American Gene Technologies believes they have the cure for HIV/AIDS  (Read 711 times)

Offline em

I do not know if this has already been posted ? but it is relatively new news from nov 6
I know cure hype  believe it when you see it  thought this info might be worth sharing

https://www.localdvm.com/news/i-270/american-gene-technologies-believes-they-have-the-cure-for-hiv-aids/

Offline Mindless

Re: American Gene Technologies believes they have the cure for HIV/AIDS
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2019, 08:34:24 am »
AGT should hear from the FDA sometime before the end of the year. If its approved, they will have the green light to begin phase one of the clinical trial in January.

I guess this means that even if this is actually working (yet to be demonstrated) wed be years maybe decades away from real world application (at what cost is another big question), is that correct?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 08:38:58 am »
https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=73181.msg762655#msg762655

Someone mentioned it, it's just another nice idea like so many and throwing the word cure around for investment & buzz.

Anyhow it's going into a phase 1 study, I'll find you a better link thought later today then the one you have

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline geobee

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2019, 05:22:08 pm »
I participated in something similar a while back.  A company, Sangamo, was going to use ZFN (Zinc Finger Nuclease) to edit T-Cells. The idea was to collect your T-Cells through apheresis, modify them, and put them back.  The resistant cells would survive and be immune to HIV. 

I was eventually DQ'd from the study.  Didn't have enough HIV in my blood apparently.  So they couldn't tell if it was CCR5 or not.

From what I read, this is similar.  Take your cells out, modify them to produce an AB, and put them back.  Pretty cool. 

This process is a lot less scaleable then a pill / vaccine of course.  Apheresis takes about two hours and, while not unpleasant, wasn't particularly comfortable.  Still, if this thing shows promise, sign me up! 

Offline ZachR

• Let's look at the stars again
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 06:14:43 pm »
It is a nice one and has made it to human trials. There is some good likelyhood for it to reach phase II and III and hope it does, but one of the potentially serious obstacles would be:
a/ no measurable effect
b/ even if it happens to work, will take at least 5 years to be available if given priority.
c/ serious immunogenicity, which could lead to a pronounced inflammatory effect throughout the body with potential consequences like organ damage and failure.
Only speculating tho, lentiviral vector technology is promising for many diseases, let's hope it grants us a safe functional cure. Even if it doesn't though, it will answer many questions that will help get closer to the real 'cure'.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 06:18:58 pm by ZachR »
25.10.19 VL 43
26.05.19  CD4+ 685 %26 VL 55
27.03.19  CD4+ 850 %31 VL 24
***Switched to Biktarvy due to side effects.
25.02.19  CD4+ 740 %30 VL 78
15.01.19  CD4+ 1600(might be wrong) %0.7 VL 54
05.11.18  CD4+ 720 VL 1,100
17.09.18  CD4+ 962 %25 VL 14,000,000 - Started first regimen on Triumeq
15.07.18 - diagnosed, CD4+ 490 %20
20.04.18 - infected

https://ibb.co/X74GV0X

Offline Expat1

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2019, 03:18:18 pm »
IF a treatment cured say 90% of people living with HIV, but killed the other 10 %, would you sign  up?

What if it cured 99% and killed only 1%?

What it the final cost/benefit level that is acceptable?  And compare that to current
practices with ART?

No answer from me?  Just a question.

(Maybe only  use with  multidrug resistant HIV after salvage therapy unable to reduce VL below a certain threshold?)

Offline ZachR

• Let's look at the stars again
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2019, 04:48:02 pm »
IF a treatment cured say 90% of people living with HIV, but killed the other 10 %, would you sign  up?

What if it cured 99% and killed only 1%?

If it killed 10% it wouldn't be approved for widespread use anyway. In case it killed 1% while successfully curing 99, it would be approved, because numerous interventions used in medicine already have a worse risk/benefit ratio than 99/1.

Let me only remind you that we don't have a 100% guarantee that we'll make it till tomorrow, right?  So demanding 100% from those guys would be unnatural.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 04:52:24 pm by ZachR »
25.10.19 VL 43
26.05.19  CD4+ 685 %26 VL 55
27.03.19  CD4+ 850 %31 VL 24
***Switched to Biktarvy due to side effects.
25.02.19  CD4+ 740 %30 VL 78
15.01.19  CD4+ 1600(might be wrong) %0.7 VL 54
05.11.18  CD4+ 720 VL 1,100
17.09.18  CD4+ 962 %25 VL 14,000,000 - Started first regimen on Triumeq
15.07.18 - diagnosed, CD4+ 490 %20
20.04.18 - infected

https://ibb.co/X74GV0X

Offline Expat1

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2019, 09:56:57 pm »
Zack, I asked: "Would you sign up?"   Not if it would be approved.  Me no.

IF my CD4 were 25 and I was symtomatic with OIs, maybe. 

Offline em

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 11:39:36 pm »
that was me over twenty years ago when my ID doc suggested I go on trial testing norvir.   My count was 7 viral load inconceivable large    that i gladly tried thinking even if I die at least I gave every option a try if it did not help me it might help others on the same path .    I would be willing to be selected to try this .  to help push things toward a cure .   I cannot see why anyone would not want to but that is your choice

I hope we live to see this turn out to be cure for everyone's sake 

em

Offline Expat1

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 04:36:45 am »
Good points em. 

Whenever I see cure in the headlines with HIV , first thing I think is that it is probably a pump and dump scheme or someone wanting to make a fortune with  an IPO.   

Call me skeptical.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2019, 05:06:34 am »
Good points em. 

Whenever I see cure in the headlines with HIV , first thing I think is that it is probably a pump and dump scheme or someone wanting to make a fortune with  an IPO.   

Call me skeptical.

I'm with you on that, every year the next big "cure" is announced and for decades nothing has panned out. If I had been a mouse, monkey or petri-dish I would have been cured a dozen times over mind you.  ;D

Scientifically it's fascinating stuff, take the "Research News & Studies" section if you like and you search for the keyword "cure" you will find decades of exciting announcements about cures some of them at human testing stages that simply did not work out. It's great we keep learning from this stuff though in the sense of scientific development

For me getting excited or hopeful every time would be an utter waste of energy & life. Worse is the odd cases of people not starting treatment or stopping as they believe there is or will be a cure soon or people taking risks because of cure headlines  😡
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 05:22:33 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2019 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.