Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 22, 2020, 12:19:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 35141
  • Latest: Wnd1983
Stats
  • Total Posts: 752251
  • Total Topics: 63375
  • Online Today: 449
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 438
Total: 440

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Poz with syphilis. Your story.  (Read 1004 times)

Offline alexdyk.j

Poz with syphilis. Your story.
« on: October 26, 2019, 09:48:23 am »
Hello guys, here's a little introduction about me.

I am from Malaysia, 28 yo. I have been poz for a little over 2 years now (confirmed July 2017), and have been on HAART since then. (tenofovir+emtricitabine and efavirenz)

Now the main story.

I have been experiencing scrotal itchiness for nearly a month. I experienced that when I was first diagnosed. Actually, that was the reason I did HIV testing. However, it got better as my CD4 increased. Unfortunately, it came back about four weeks ago.

I suspected that I had syphilis. My last testing was in June 2019, and it was negative (I presume since my doc didn't mention anything about it). My next scheduled testing doesn't not include syphilis. Therefore, I decided to go to a private healthcare lab to do some screening.

I did the screening on 21 Oct and received my results today (26 Oct). My VDRL result came back with a titer of 1:32. Since there is no doctor on duty at the lab today, I cannot get further explanation until next Tuesday.

I am worried about the titer because it is quite high. I suspect that I contracted syphilis within the last three months. I am also very worried about seeing the doctor at the hospital (not the lab doctor) as I had two episodes of syphilis infection before. One was in Aug 2017 and another one was in Aug 2018.

Interesting thing is, the test done in Aug 2017 was one of the comprehensive STDs testings after I had been tested positive HIV. It went unnoticed by multiple doctors until in March 2018 when the ID doc that saw me asked me if had done treatment for my syphilis. I was given 3 doses of penicillin G IM, once weekly.

This time, I noticed faint rash on my body. No visible rash on palms and soles. I feel tired, a little feverish and sore right arm. I don't mind getting 3 shots in the butt again, but I am worried that I might have neurosyphilis. I don't want to be hospitalised since I am in closet and my family and friends don't know my status.

What is my possibility of getting neurosyphilis?

And have any of you had multiple infections of syphilis? How did your health care provider react?

Please contribute anything, I really appreciate it.

Have a great day everybody!

Offline virgo313

Re: Poz with syphilis. Your story.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 01:47:51 am »
Hi Alex,

Looks like you are aware on how syphilis is generally treated.
Lets not worry on how Dr think of you. Just tell them that you have done a test & show them the result (in case you are going to gov Dr).

Just ask that you would like to go thru treatment for syphilis. They will not be judgmental. I personally have a "repeat" of syphilis & is currently waiting for result. Just got 3 jab also.

Bottom line is that you need to get treated & what Dr views on your lifestyle is secondary. Lets not think about neurosyphilis for now. Dont think unless u have balancing issue. Thanks
RVD Nov 2015. VL --> Log 5.32 HAART on 23/11/15
TDF+FTC+EFV / Chemo KS - 25/11/15 - 20/01/16.
CD4 - 4 (3/11/15) / VL - 225,000   ~ CD4 - 65 (7/03/16) / VL - UD
CD4 - 153 (8/09/16) / VL - UD (20) / CD4% -6%   ~   CD4 - 215 (11/03/17) / VL - No Result / CD4% -8%
CD4 - No Result (10/04/17) / VL - UD (20)   ~   CD4 - 455 (11/05/18) / VL - UD / CD4% -14%
CD4 + CD4% (18/10/18) - Dr not going to  do this anymore / VL - To test only yearly. This Sucks..!
CD4 - 472 (10/04/19) / VL - UD / CD4% - 42%

Offline BlueMoon

• Calling from the Fun House
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 12:02:11 am »
Alexdyk.j, I am sorry to read about your problems.  I have some experience with syphilis, and it is a nuisance.

It is my understanding that once you have been infected with syphilis then the antibodies persist in your blood so that you will always test positive.  What is used to diagnose a reinfection is the titer ratio.

According to my doctor, treatment is considered successful if your titer drops by a certain magnitude; I think at least fourfold but am unsure of the exact number.  For example, if your titer at treatment is 1:256 and drops to 1:16 after, then treatment was successful and 1:16 becomes your base number.  The titer can vary slightly at subsequent tests, so it could be 1:8 one time and 1:32 another, but as long as it stays close to the base number of 1:16 then you are ok. 

Neurosyphilis is diagnosed by checking the spinal fluid.  That is a risky procedure and should be undertaken only if you do not respond to the conventional treatment of three penicillin shots.

Based on my reading of your account, neurosyphilis is unlikely.  Depending on your base number after your previous treatment, you may not even have been reinfected.  Let your doctor decide.  He may suggest another course of penicillin shots to be on the safe side.  Hopefully everything works out for you and the worst that happens is that you get a few shots that you do not need.

It's a complex world

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 06:43:38 am »
Alexdyk.j, I am sorry to read about your problems.  I have some experience with syphilis, and it is a nuisance.

It is my understanding that once you have been infected with syphilis then the antibodies persist in your blood so that you will always test positive.  What is used to diagnose a reinfection is the titer ratio.

According to my doctor, treatment is considered successful if your titer drops by a certain magnitude; I think at least fourfold but am unsure of the exact number.  For example, if your titer at treatment is 1:256 and drops to 1:16 after, then treatment was successful and 1:16 becomes your base number.  The titer can vary slightly at subsequent tests, so it could be 1:8 one time and 1:32 another, but as long as it stays close to the base number of 1:16 then you are ok. 

This is not exactly true, or at least it is incomplete.

Antibodies MAY persist for some time or they may persist forever, in some individuals.  However, for a large number of people the RPR antibody titre does revert to "Negative" at some point after treatment.

The rest of your info is correct -- seeing a drop in titre is generally indicative of successful treatment -- even if it doesn't return to "Negative".

Mike
Atripla - Started 12/05
Reyataz/Norvir - Added 6/06
Labs - Pre-Meds
Sep05 T=350/25% VL98,559
Nov05 288/18%  47,564
Current Labs
May2015 969/28% <20

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 06:21:23 pm »
Hiya alexdyk.j

Sorry to hear about the problems and hope things get sorted soon.
I would agree with the gents comments above particular this;

Hi Alex,

Looks like you are aware on how syphilis is generally treated.
Lets not worry on how Dr think of you. Just tell them that you have done a test & show them the result (in case you are going to gov Dr).

Just ask that you would like to go thru treatment for syphilis. They will not be judgmental. I personally have a "repeat" of syphilis & is currently waiting for result. Just got 3 jab also.

Bottom line is that you need to get treated & what Dr views on your lifestyle is secondary. Lets not think about neurosyphilis for now. Dont think unless u have balancing issue. Thanks

Just get your health sorted, that's the focus. Reading your first post in the thread the concern seems to be about not being out, being judged but in all fairness, syphilis can be acquired by anybody who is sexually active regardless of background,  lifestyles etc, etc, etc.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.