Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 04, 2020, 10:46:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 35445
  • Latest: Da2020
Stats
  • Total Posts: 755473
  • Total Topics: 63816
  • Online Today: 299
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 183
Total: 186

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: One year ago  (Read 850 times)

Offline beanstalk

One year ago
« on: August 29, 2019, 07:43:46 pm »
One year ago I received my confirmatory HIV test.

It feels like a life ago. Before having to take the daily pill. Before having the constant though of a virus consuming you from the inside.

People say it gets better with time. It didn't. At least not yet. Today is a day for mourning.

But still, here I am, alive and physically well. The show must go on.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: One year ago
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 05:49:04 am »
Hiya,

Well glad things are physically okay.
Did you make the move to France or Belgium BTW?

People say it gets better with time.

Each journey is different although a year is no time at all and things are often not a straight line. Up's & down's do happen, I hope there is someone face to face you can talk to about how you are feeling? If not it might be an idea to seek out some peer support and let the doctor know how you are feeling.

I added a post you made a few months ago as it sounded like you were in a good place and doing well at the time, I'm sorry to hear that this is not the case today but I hope you can get back to this.

Hugs

Hello again,

I just had my first doctor visit after being undetectable for the first time and it seems everything is fine! 6 months of Triumeq, undetectable, my numbers are all great and I feel great. I have been having sexually active (even sometimes without condom, but always informing) and nobody has called me yet with some bad news so I guess that's good  ::)

I also managed to get more pill bottles at my hospital after complaining a lot about it and I even managed to get them to stop mailing my parent's home  ;D

I feel healthy and happy, I am eating better, going to the gym every day getting a nice bod, started working at a good company and I've never felt better than now (still with a pikachu face tho, I think I'll have to wait a long time for that one to be treated... Another positive ANA but the other doctor is still doing tests...).

Anyway, I got used to taking the pills (I never missed one through all this time!) and I don't think HIV is having any impact in my life besides the occasional visit at the hospital :)

Cheers!

« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 05:30:18 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline fabio

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 11:57:30 am »
Don't worry beanstalk,things are bound to get better. Hiv is just a thought now with the pills. People take all sorts of pills,they have all sorts of health issues (both physical and mental) and it's good that they take action.
And you are right the show must go on and it doesn't have to be a sad one.
Personally I don't want to ever be sad and I refuse to be the "unfortunate one" or "irresponsible one" because we are human and we make mistakes,it's just a virus,anyone could have had it through all possible means. I ain't gonna be their "worst case scenario" I will live life with dignity and my head up high. This has helped me understand other peoples actions and mistakes as well,and I can bring myself to forgive.
I am very glad to have met people (even if it's just online) in this forum. I want you to not worry about it,because happy times are about to come for you as is for everyone else in here. I give all the positive vibes to you .

Offline lightalltheway

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 05:01:33 pm »
beanstalk,

Your message is an anniversary. In which a year ago there was something and now it is something else. This anniversary does not occur in a vacuum, and feelings are attached to it. As mentioned by Jim, some days up and some days down. Please try to unpack this statement and link it with feelings. Its absolutely normal to have low days. Even if you are free from HIV, I firmly believe that you will also be passing through such type of days.

This message of support is to confirm that you are not alone. and from pain we grow stronger together. Time will heal everything.

My doctor said to me a statement that I motives me whenever I pass through similar days like yours, he stated: HIV virus is a tiny one which likes extra attention, your medication is taking care of it.

I hope this will help you, too.

Prince

Offline beanstalk

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 08:24:14 pm »
Hiya,

Well glad things are physically okay.
Did you make the move to France or Belgium BTW?

The move would be on November only since I still have to finish uni here in Portugal. However, a really really big company has managed to snatch me with a really good offer and I think I will be able to travel a lot for work while keeping my home in my current city! This way I can fulfill my dream of going abroad/meeting new people/learning new languages. I will also have travel insurance and other perks I would not have if I just moved abroad and I think I'm actually required to come back to the office in my residence city from time to time which is perfect to get my meds. I'm starting in two weeks!

Each journey is different although a year is no time at all and things are often not a straight line. Up's & down's do happen, I hope there is someone face to face you can talk to about how you are feeling? If not it might be an idea to seek out some peer support and let the doctor know how you are feeling.

I added a post you made a few months ago as it sounded like you were in a good place and doing well at the time, I'm sorry to hear that this is not the case today but I hope you can get back to this.

Hugs

I don't really have anyone to talk to. I'm just hoping to drown in work and forget about everything else (not in a bad way, I am just doing what I love and hoping to keep improving).

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I just feel tired from having the thought of having HIV 24/7 but I believe this is something inherited from my personality (not being able to let go) and I doubt me or anyone else will be able to do anything about it. Also, the permanent fires from hell burning on my face aren't helping with my case (I don't even care about the redness anymore). I was forwarded from the autoimmune doctor to a dermatologist who prescribed me a 50 ointment that relieves me a lot... For a total of three hours a day! lol Plus I get to wear a sunscreen that turns my face white, otherwise no going outside for me. I'm literally a vampire right now.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 08:30:51 pm by beanstalk »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.