Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 19, 2020, 01:17:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 752168
  • Total Topics: 63366
  • Online Today: 363
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 298
Total: 298

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ pages, including our "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Should I get tested now or wait? Please help.  (Read 1258 times)

Offline nycasian

• Standard
Should I get tested now or wait? Please help.
« on: June 10, 2019, 04:07:34 pm »
Hi all,

I went on vacation two weeks ago and had a random hookup with a guy at a sauna.
I made certain the guy had put on a condom before he inserted his you know what in my bum. After awhile, we went back to just making out. He then asked me if I'm ready for round 2. Not thinking clearly during the heat of the moment, I proceeded to bottom again. I asked him if he is close to ejaculation. He responded with "I already ejaculated the first time around" and removed the condom filled with semen.

Now I am freaking out because I now realize he did not change the condom after he ejaculated the first time around. He proceeded to penetrate a second time with a condom filled with semen. Had this incident happened in the States, I would have gotten on PEP right away. I was stupid for not checking to see what were my options of getting PEP at the local hospital. I thought to myself, since he still had his condom on the whole time, I'm protected right?

Today is the 11th day since the incident and i'm beginning to feel some discomfort. I feel that my mouth is dry and very "warm".  I would classify it as a scratchy sore throat, although I do not feel any discomfort when swallowing. On the bottom  of my lips, I see that they are white and dry. (I am freaking out because now I think I have oral thrush on lips).  I feel some tingling sensation around my neck, but when I press on it, it doesnt hurt. My head feels a bit warm (is probably a fever, Im currently locating a thermometer) and there is a slight pressure on the left side of my head. It not a full blown headache.

Should I get an HIV test tomorrow even though i read that the 4th gen antigen tests will detect HIV infections after 28 days? I am scared and mad at myself for having this one night stand. There's no way for me to contact this person and now, I may HIV. I don't have anyone to talk, hence I'm putting this on the internet. Any response to this post is greatly appreciated.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Should I get tested now or wait? Please help.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 04:19:48 pm »
Using the same condom twice is not a great move, as in increases the risk that it might break during intercourse.

That said as long as the condom did not break during intercourse I see no reason to test outside of standard routine i.e at least yearly for STI's & HIV as HIV can't transmit through an intact condom

Best, Jim

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline nycasian

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 05:16:41 am »
Thank you for the quick response, Jim. Really appreciate what you do here.

I guess the best for me is to wait six weeks and get an hiv test and stop reading/googling all the acute HIV symptomps. It is just the white spots on the lips and the dry lips have me convinced that I have hiv. I should see a doctor for that.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 06:06:38 am »
Hiya,

Dry lips & white spots, just relax and, see your GP & treat whatever it is, stop focusing on this.

Nothing you mentioned here warrants any specific testing outside of standard yearly routine, but if it gives you peace of mind to test sooner by all means do.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider starting PrEP as an additional layer of HIV protection going forward

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as safe in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for acquiring far easier to transmit STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature to our POZ pages, this includes information on HIV Testing

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted

HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline nycasian

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 06:06:48 pm »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response.

Even though I know one cannot be certain if they have hiv or not without being tested, I知 fairly convince I have contracted hiv. I知 just going through a slow seroconversion process. My symptoms began exactly a week after the incident. I just know that my body is just fighting through it.

I知 compiling my list of symptoms and checking off all the boxes:
- general fatigue that comes and goes away.
- White discoloration on the left and right corner section of the bottom lip.
- diarrhea - watery stool
- Slight pain around random parts of the body that just comes and goes, usually around the neck and ear area, and lower and mid back
- itchiness on the legs, back area, and around the body that comes and goes away
- burning sensation on the thighs/ knees area that comes and goes away
- Sweating during the day even though I知 in room with air conditioning. There were few instances when my body got really warm and it started to sweat, even though I was in a cold/ cool environment.
- dry tangy tongue - the feeling that you get after you use mouth wash once too many times
- Numbness, prickling pain feeling around the hands, fingers, arms and knees area that comes and goes away
- Slight fever, even though the thermometer indicated my temperature is within normal range.
- Pressure within the left side of the head

I keep telling myself that maybe I have eaten something bad on my trip and hence I知 getting all these weird symptoms that just comes and goes away (seems to be the occurring theme). It is that this feeling of coming and going away that makes me think that my body is putting up a fight against the virus. The fact that I do not have nausea and I知 getting hunger pangs seem to indicate that this is no stomach virus.

I know that the way to determine if one has hiv is by taking the test. The onset or lack of symptoms do not indicate one痴 hiv status. Repeatedly telling myself this does not seem to quell my frustration and fear.

I知 scared as I don稚 know know what to make of it other than to wait the 6 weeks mark to take the HiV test. I知 beginning to think of how will i even be able cover for the cost of my hiv medication. I need to find a new doctor who specializes in HIV treatment. The constant medical checkup is scarring me. The hardest part is not being able to tell my family or friends about this.

The treatment hasn稚 even begun and it is already affecting my mental being at work. I couldn稚 get through the day at work without thinking about my symptoms. I just want to tell my coworkers to leave me alone and stop talking to me. It was extremely stupid of me to have this one night stand even though I tried to do everything correctly. Stupid of me of not being assertive and tell the person to put on a new condom. Stupid of me to trust a random stranger. Upset at the fact that prep is costly to obtain without insurance. 

Anyway, Jim, thanks for listening and addressing my concern. I知 not going to post until I have taken the test at the sixth week mark. This is going to be a long and agonizing 31 days. I really appreciate you for taking the time to hear my irrational rant. I guess I知 just mentally preparing myself when I receive the bad news.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 06:29:47 pm »
Hiya,

Your worrying about things that don't even apply to you in or at least not at the moment, unless there is something you are not telling.

Anyhow as for being sick, hope you feel better soon but coming & going symptoms within a week is not initial HIV so instead of hyper-focusing on things and, playing self-diagnosis go see your GP instead & treat it.

Test for STI's & HIV is you have not recently done so, start making it a routine to do so at least yearly

Take it easy. Jim

« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 06:39:50 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline nycasian

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 07:59:18 pm »
Hi Jim,

First off - Happy New Year.

Reading your responses to my posts had helped me to stay "sane" during June of last year. I checked off every symptoms of acute HIV and I was certain that I had contracted HIV. I took the HIV test again this January and my result was negative. I was extremely relieved.

Even though you had mentioned so many times - not to self-diagnose based on symptoms - I scared and stressed myself out. One would think I have learned from this mistake.

Well just over two weeks ago, I had a quick sexual, random encounter. (I haven't had any since the last episode - as detailed in my initial post). The only sexual act I performed was oral. My partner did not ejaculate. I remember spitting my saliva out just to make sure there was no semen in my mouth. I did not advance further because 1) I wasn't on PREP and 2) I don't know the status of my partner.

The next day, I remember spitting out blood while I was in the shower. I called my local clinic to obtain PEP but I was denied. The doctor said my sexual activity was considered low-risk. (no open sores, no gum disease). Two weeks have passed since the encounter and now I am getting all the symptoms again. The ones that trouble me the most are the sore/scratchy throat and headache.

I am not going to think about it because I don't want put myself in that ordeal again. I know that the only way to find out is to get tested.

My questions are:

1) Is oral sex really considered low risk? It is not "no risk". I don't understand why the doctor wouldn't want to prescribe PEP to me. Even if the individual did not ejaculate in my mouth, there is still the chance that HIV could be present in "pre-cum".

2) How fast can current HIV test detect the virus? I know that two weeks may be too early but would 30 days since exposure be somewhat a clear indication as to whether or not I have HIV?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read my post.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 10:56:00 pm »
2) I don't know the status of my partner.

Just presume any negative status claim means they are living with HIV unknown to themselves and without treatment. Protect yourself.

1)

PEP is for high-risk exposures, it's not there for every near negligible concern or worry that you might have, I would presume that is why the doctor would not prescribe it to you.

Giving a blowjob, generally speaking, the mouth simply lacks route (Cells to infect) for HIV, and even if there was damage to your mouth (inside your mouth) as in gaping open sores like meth mouth creating a possible route than saliva & air also act to neutralize HIV by damaging the receptors needed to infect human cells.

All in all, giving a blowjob is such a minute concern with regards to HIV that we don't even recommend specifically testing over it.

So if this was your only concern, move on with your life, no drama required and just get tested whenever you are next normally due a routine check-up.

2)

Tests may pick up as soon as 2 weeks, however, if you ever do have an exposure generally you can test at 6 weeks post-exposure with a blood-drawn antibodies test, and a negative result at this time will rarely every change, although if you wish for peace of mind, you could repeat at 3 months for a definite result.

Finally, your other posts outside this thread have been removed, please do not post about this incident again and/or post or reply in other peoples threads. You have been warned.

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted

Only those Moderators and members who are authorized to answer questions in the Am I Infected? forum are permitted do so. Unauthorized responses may be deleted without permission of the poster. Repeatedly posting replies of this nature may result in a Time Out or permanent ban, at the discretion of the Moderator Team.

P.S

Here's what you need to know to avoid HIV infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider starting PrEP going forward as an additional layer of protection against HIV

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as safe in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other easier to transmit STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also, note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

Kind regards

Jim
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 06:42:41 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline nycasian

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 09:07:53 pm »
My apologies. I should have read the rules clearly before posting on other members' threads. It won't happen again.

I did not see any visible cuts or sores in my mouth, although I do have a deep scar on my tongue that was created many years ago from wearing a palatal expander for far too long. In addition, my teeth tend to bleed slightly whenever I brush my teeth. However, I did not brush my teeth right before giving oral. I thought that pre-cum could somehow seep in between my teeth.

I am going to heed your advice and move on with my life. It is just that every time I try not to think about it, my body tends to exhibit symptoms that closely resemble acute HIV symptoms. The mind is a such a powerful organ.

Thanks Jim. I appreciate all that you do here. Just by reading your responses can somehow give me some peace of mind.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 01:49:32 am »
You're welcome.

Try to relax.
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.