Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2019, 12:45:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 750030
  • Total Topics: 63023
  • Online Today: 295
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 246
Total: 246

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ pages, including our "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Risks for exposure, Elisa +/WB - at 36 days  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Scaredasf

• Standard
Risks for exposure, Elisa +/WB - at 36 days
« on: May 31, 2019, 06:26:10 am »
Hi,

As my name implies, i am scared as hell over a possible infection.

I went to a massage parlour on 6th April 19 and got a handjob. In the process, i touched her vagina on the outside and got my fingers moist. I didnt insert my finger. I then proceeded to touch her breasts as well as my own dick with the same hand. I forgot about her vaginal fluids that i might have left on her breasts and proceeded to lick her breasts for a minute or so. There was a 1 cm cut on my lower lip due to dry weather, i think it has stopped bleeding but the wound is not closed. She proceeded to masturbate me off.

We also kissed for a few minutes. my gums are not in the best shape and i didnt see hers. I just brushed my teeth about 2-3 hours before the whole incident too which caused some bleeding. Assuming if we are both bleeding, what is the risk for transmission for the above?

I have since done a ELISA test which came back reactive and then a WB that came back negative on the 13 of May 19 (a 36 day time). I am frightened to death that this might mean the WB is wrongly negative due to being in the window period. I am now waiting on the PCR test to tell me if i am infected. I havent been able to do anything while waiting except stalking every forum 24/7 and decided to post for help.

How much risk is there here? Your help is very much appreciated. :(

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Risks for exposure, Elisa +/WB - at 36 days
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 06:38:16 am »
Hiya

You had no HIV risk from the encounter posted, none!

Unless you have been engaging other activities not mentioned here? If no than there was no reason to test, you did anyway and, the result you posted here is negative.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider taking PrEP going forward as an additional layer of HIV protection.

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature to our POZ pages, this includes information on HIV Testing

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Scaredasf

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 07:00:37 am »
Hi,

No, i havent been doing anything other than this.

I went to test due to the fact that i was worried about catching something due to the open wound on my mouth touching vaginal fluids and kissing etc. When the ELISA came back reactive, i nearly fainted. The WB negative didnt console me much as i read alot that the elisa detects infections much earlier and the WB negative is just because the infection hasnt been detected on the WB yet. What is the research behind this may i ask? Will the WB show indeterminant if there was indeed something at 32-36 days?

I am waiting for my PCR which will take another 3-5 days minimum and i have not been able to do anything other than reading about life with HIV on the forums and how to inform my family and wife. I have lost 4 kgs being not able to eat much since 2 weeks ago. My work has come to a standstill as well.

I dont understand why would the elisa come up reactive if my risk was zero. What i read was that the Elisa is usually very accurate and the false positives numbers are like 0.4% or something. My doctor told me i had a 0.01% chance of contracting something so i am thinking that might be true and i am just that unlucky.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 07:20:47 am »
Hiya

False reactive results on initial antibodies tests is something we see here nearly weekly, they are overly sensitive and, as example can pick up on stay antibodies for other infections past/present.  The screening test is just to confirm a negative outside the window period leaving any reactive results for more specific testing, nothing more than that to it. 

No, i havent been doing anything other than this.
wife

Bingo - That changes your risk assessment. A lie as well because you have been enraging in other activities unless you are going to tell me it a sexless marriage?

Lets be clear you had zero HIV risk from the concerned incident - Put it out of your head.  As for the wife, well I presume its unprotected intercourse? if you have been or are engaging in unprotected intercourse with your partner this would as example meet all the biological conditions needed for acquiring HIV. Its the main transmission route globally.

Now I don't judge couples that decide to engage in unprotected intercourse, its often based on trust within a relationship, however just note this trust or faith does not prevent HIV and any unprotected intercourse is simply accepting a possible risk to you of acquiring HIV.

Test regularly, understand the risks.Test at 6 weeks & 3 months post last any unprotected intercourse.

Jim

Hiya

You had no HIV risk from the encounter posted, none!

Unless you have been engaging other activities not mentioned here? If no than there was no reason to test, you did anyway and, the result you posted here is negative.

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Consider taking PrEP going forward as an additional layer of HIV protection.

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as ‘safe’ in terms of HIV transmission might still pose a risk for transmission of other STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature to our POZ pages, this includes information on HIV Testing

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 07:34:40 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Scaredasf

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 07:41:23 am »
Hi Jim,

Thank you for your quick replies.

I havent been touching my wife ever since the exposure due to fear that i might spread HIV to her. I am in a loving marriage and i am just scared out of my wits. The mentioned exposure was just a moment of wildness while i was overseas with friends. I have made up every excuse in the book to avoid my wife and i am running out fast. I am just spending lots of time at work reading forums and going home late to avoid the whole sex issue with my wife.

This is why i am extremely worried why my ELISA is positive and my WB is negative as i have read everywhere that WB cant catch infections fast enough and is discontinued by the CDC as well.

I cant live like this for another 3-5 days. I might go insane. :(

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 07:53:27 am »
Look i feel sorry that you are clearly upset, I do hope you feel better soon and can move on although you have to understand that does not mean I will be entertaining fantasy here. What you posted here about the encounter is no HIV risk - End of story.

No amount of guilt or test results will change that.

If you do have a positive outcome its either from something you have failed to disclose i.e you had additional exposures or its from the wife from past events. This because so far the unprotected intercourse with the wife would be the only exposure that meets the conditions required for acquiring HIV

I recommend that; You test at 6 weeks & 3 months post the last unprotected intercourse, start using condoms and/or PrEP going forward no exceptions or simply accept the risk that come with unprotected intercourse and test more frequently. Its totally up-to-you.

Jim 

« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 07:56:55 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 07:29:56 am »
 ::)

You are testing my patience and, now you are trying to create multiple accounts.

Understand this might sound blunt but I'm not interested in reading multiple fantasy stories from you. I've already read what you posted here and, on other sites, including the post about smoking a cigarette and, vomiting  ::) It's not how you acquire HIV either, so get over it and, stick to one story - The truth.

The truth if you like it or not is your risk if any actually happened was unprotected intercourse and, it seems you are testing within the window period.

So this is what you do, test at 6 weeks & 3 months post the last unprotected intercourse and, should you have a reactive result than do the follow-up testing to confirm the result. Reactive screening results happen all the time, hence it's not a diagnosis  - No drama, no stories or stress required and, I wish you all the best. Hopefully, confirmation testing is negative.

Going forward start using condoms and/or PrEP no exceptions or simply accept the risk that comes with unprotected intercourse and, test more frequently. It's totally up-to-you.

Jim

Look i feel sorry that you are clearly upset, I do hope you feel better soon and can move on although you have to understand that does not mean I will be entertaining fantasy here. What you posted here about the encounter is no HIV risk - End of story.

No amount of guilt or test results will change that.

If you do have a positive outcome its either from something you have failed to disclose i.e you had additional exposures or its from the wife from past events. This because so far the unprotected intercourse with the wife would be the only exposure that meets the conditions required for acquiring HIV

I recommend that; You test at 6 weeks & 3 months post the last unprotected intercourse, start using condoms and/or PrEP going forward no exceptions or simply accept the risk that comes with unprotected intercourse and test more frequently. It's totally up-to-you.

Jim
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 08:49:39 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Scaredasf

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 02:30:34 am »
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your kind replies. I tried to make another account because i wanted to post a separate incident that i thought might be the cause if people is saying that this is not a way for transmission. I hope you understand that this elisa positive is playing alot of tricks on my mind and i just want to know how (if any) did i get hiv. I apologise for trying to create another account to get more opinions and i have paid the subscription cost as a way of supporting the good work you guys do.

My PCR test is still underway and everyday they dont call, is a day i add more stress to myself. It has been almost a week and i think these tests dont usually take this long unless something is wrong. I have entertained some very dark thoughts as the days have gone by and talking to experts like yourself help alot as there is no one i can turn to. I think i will need psychological help very soon.

Is there anyone on these forums that have gotten a transmission like the ones i have spoken about?

These exposures are the only ones i have had from 6th April till now, so if i am positive, it has to be 1 of the 2 of them. Like i shared, i didnt have sex with my wife for more than 2.5 months now, from before the incidents so there is not much chance from that.

Thanks for reading and i really appreciate the feedback.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 03:17:03 am »
Hiya,

April? February at least. Hence the unprotected intercourse from 2 months ago would be the only clear risk mentioned so far...

Anyhow understand that I do wish you well but I can't be entertaining fantasy stories and lying. I Know other readers might think it's blunt but I've got a far better picture of what you have been posting.

Please read this carefully, If you ever do acquire HIV there is no excuse is needed, nobody here will either care, ask or judge how you actually acquired it, the answer is very simple BTW you engaged in some activity that met all the biological & environmental conditions required for transmission.

So no need for you to overthink it or try to justify it by creating or spreading multiple elaborate factless theories or stories

I think i will need psychological help very soon

To be honest it would not be a bad idea regardless of the outcome of your HIV testing. Go to the doctor today regarding your dark thoughts.

Nobody has ever been infected the way you fear and have been posting a few different stories online ...

I wish you well but I fear there is nothing we can do for you in this setting, I really think you should consider investing in therapy with a professional to help you cope with your irrational thoughts & fears.

If you post about this or any other no-risk situation again regardless of your HIV status it's going to lead to a ban, it's simply to encourage you to seek professional mental health support

Test at 6 weeks & 3 months post the last unprotected intercourse and, should you have a reactive result than do the follow-up testing to confirm the result.

Remember thar reactive screening results happen all the time, hence it's not a diagnosis  - No drama, no stories or stress required and, I wish you all the best.

Going forward start using condoms and/or PrEP no exceptions or simply accept the risk that comes with unprotected intercourse and, test more frequently. It's totally up-to-you.

Jim
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 03:36:58 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Scaredasf

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 07:12:09 am »
Hi Jim,

I took your advice and took a time out and waited for my test results.

My PCR at 7.5 weeks is negative.

4 months on, i have decided to take a full body checkup for general well-being and decided to test for HIV. The elisa came up positive again so now i am right back where we started and i am very scared of my WB test.

To be clear, i didnt have any sexual contact these past 4 months while waiting for results. Have you ever came across this situation where the Elisa is repeatedly positive for a 2nd time? Also, is PCR a very accurate test in ruling out HIV infection?

Thanks for your time. It is very much appreciated.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 07:26:27 am »
Hiya,

As for your results, a reactive Elisa tests its common enough, so relax its not a diagnosis and could be as simply as a stay/cross antibody reaction. It simply means follow-up testing is required to confirm your negative status, best contact your doctor and arrange that.

I already mentioned that you should test at 6 weeks & 3 months post the last unprotected intercourse and, should you have a reactive result than do the follow-up testing to confirm the result.

However let me be very clear, I wish you well but the activities mentioned here and claims of not having sex for 4 months, including on the other site smoking a cigarette and HIV did not result in HIV transmission. Unprotected intercourse, your actual risk could. Unfortunately my patience on magic transmissions is spent, and as I said before I really don't care what you actually did but no story is required here.  I am also not warning again on this.

Best, Jim
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:00:40 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2019 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.