Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 06, 2019, 03:05:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 34903
  • Latest: Ejdmd
Stats
  • Total Posts: 749937
  • Total Topics: 63003
  • Online Today: 614
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 272
Total: 273

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Diagnosed with Hiv2?  (Read 2936 times)

Offline Ebeno

• Standard
Diagnosed with Hiv2?
« on: April 27, 2019, 04:58:57 am »
Hi everyone.

I got tested 6days after exposure or 6days after PeP.  I took pep 14 hours after exposure with open cut contact .Result positive with 4th generation ag p24 test and confirm positive by western blot.  3 days later I got tested with PCR undetected viral load which less than 40. My doctor said,  might be I got hiv-2 which PCR test not work with.  But western blot said I got HIV-1 which is common in my country ( South East Asia). My doctor prescribed me medicine which work for HIV-2.  This is so confusing me about the result and what the test said Vs the doctor explain since no hiv2 test alone in my country.  Will PeP make my PCR undetectable? Or what cause my viral load undetected My cd4 is 740. Can I change Doctor or clinic? Please help. I am so scared and stressful now.
western blot result : Gp120,  gp41, p31, p24, p17 are present and gp105,  gp36 are absent.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 05:13:34 am by Ebeno »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Diagnosed with Hiv2?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 05:13:19 am »
Hiya

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear about the stress and the diagnosis.
What medication have you been prescribed?

I got tested 6days after exposure or 6days after PeP

Ill be honest I am not sure what you mean? Was it 6 days after an exposure you tested positive or after taking PEP for 6 days or 6 days after finishing PEP? If it was 6 days after exposure I would be saying you were positive before this exposure.

My doctor said,  might be I got hiv-2 which PCR test not work with.
Yeah, well it depends on the PCR test being used.

This is so confusing me about the result and what the test said Vs the doctor explain since no hiv2 test alone in my country.

Look if you are unsure than go to another clinc or doctor and have them retest and walk you though the results for peace of mind by all means. Few things to keep in mind is firstly the PCR tests are not infallible more often showing a false viral load but the opposite can also be true, and you could well indeed have a suppressed viral load it happens. Now as for the PEP (its unlikely) but could have suppressed the viral load if its a recent infection.

Edit - You updated your post so updating mine.

western blot result : Gp120,  gp41, p31, p24, p17 are present

So that's indeed a reactive results, combined with the antibodies test it would be accepted as a positive result for HIV.

Jim 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 05:18:12 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ebeno

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 05:24:27 am »
Hi Jim.  Thanks for respond.  They performed PCR test 3 times which always came back less than 40. For 4th generation test they detected positive with ag p24 not ab. And confirm by wb. For hiv2 is extremely rare here.
First they prescribed me medicine which work for hiv1 then they stop me due to PCR test undetected VL.re-prescribe me with another drug which work for hiv2.  My concern is that the drug that they prescribed. I afraid that I would get drug resistance. I will try another clinic.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 05:33:40 am »
Okay so you had a reactive p24 on the screening test and, a confirmed WB

Look a person can be infected with HIV, have a reactive screening test and WB and yet have an undetectable HIV RNA result.  I am presuming its an RNA test they have been running.

It also depends on the test being run, if the doctor said his lab can't pick up on HIV-2. In addition elite controllers jumps to mind, rare but they do happen people who simply naturally have a low or even undetectable VL (Treatment is still warranted)

My concern is that the drug that they prescribed. I afraid that I would get drug resistance. I will try another clinic.

What drug?

Also again if you are unsure than go to another clinc or doctor and have them retest and walk you though the results for peace of mind. There is no point stressing about this when a 2nd opinion could put your mind at ease and allow you to move forward. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 05:39:45 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ebeno

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 06:07:27 am »
Thanks Jim.
As for PCR RNA test looks for VL in hiv1 or hiv2? As per doctor said pcr test does not look for VL in Hiv2.  What I am concerning about are:
- VL,  which part of medicine monitoring for it's effictivness ( the Dr.  said cannot monitor for hiv2 also no idea about U=U within Hiv2)
- CD4,  as for now my cd4 is around 740 ( fortunately,  yes,  it can be monitored)
- The doctor presumed that I got hiv2 upon undetected viral load ( it might or might not)
----------_----------------------
For 2nd opinion I have no idea since I have not gone for it.  Anyhow,  I will asap.
For the drug that I am being prescribed, I am asking the doctor about it but not yet get respond.  He told me once but I forgot. 
The Dr.  said undetected VL for initial infected he never met before because most of his patient always Detected VL.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 06:10:25 am by Ebeno »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 06:32:09 am »
Hiya,

The VL testing depends on the lab capabilities, now if the doctor said his lab PCR panel is unable to monitor HIV-2 than lets presume he is telling the truth for now as I would see no reason for him to lie about it, okay.

Generally speaking most medication is used to treat both HIV-1 & 2, some medication is only used for HIV-1 as its less effective for HIV-2

Its hard to give a reference without knowing what meds you are on, do try to find out what medication you are being prescribed at some stage okay.

The Dr.  said undetected VL for initial infected he never met before because most of his patient always Detected VL.

And i've never seen a wild elephant before in my life, however if I was to believe national geographic they do exist    ;)

For 2nd opinion I have no idea since I have not gone for it.  Anyhow,  I will asap.

Yeah to me it sounds like there are communication problems and, prehaps misunderstanding with your current doctor. Like I said peace of mind is gold and the best way forward I can think of is indeed getting a 2nd opinion and having another doctor walk you though the results.

Keep us posted. I will ask you for the time-being to only post in this one thread, you can ask questions here and members will answer and support you to the best they can.

Take it easy.

Jim

HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ebeno

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 07:49:40 am »
But question always appear in my mind that, how open cut get HIV?  Once again the person that I contact his blood during traffic accident is unknown HIV status.  Yes,  I was told I am HIV positive. Yet, Could it be false positive with 4th generation and wb? Because it detect so early.
============

For drug that he prescribed for me is a one pill combine of Tenofovir300mg+lamivudine300mg+Dolutegravir50mg
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 08:18:25 am by Ebeno »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 10:15:24 am »
Hiya

I don't know what risk you think you had or not but regardless just looking at your first post, timelines and the results I would be saying you were positive before this exposure, unknown to yourself!

Anyhow it does not really matter now as you are here, nothing will change that and a reactive screening test and a positive WB is a positive result, so best to be looking forwards not dwelling on the past. 

For drug that he prescribed for me is a one pill combine of Tenofovir300mg+lamivudine300mg+Dolutegravir50mg

tenofovir/lamivudine/dolutegravir - Aka "TLD" is good solid combination.
When did the doctor want you to start treatment?

Best, Jim
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 10:19:24 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ebeno

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 10:27:47 am »
he already prescribed for me.  Also I am on that treatment. One more thing,  I took pep to prevent this infection and stop for a while since tested positive.  The pep that I took also contain these three drug. My doctor prescribed this medicine for me.  Will it make me resistance to this drug? Dr said HIV is milder and gentler than hiv1. Is it true?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 10:35:55 am by Ebeno »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 10:35:42 am »
Hiya

No, and it goes towards already being positive beforehand. Look resistance is not so much from stop/starting the once, but from continued low dosing or continued stop/starting so relax  ;)

I thought you had said you changed to a new treatment and, did not know the name and had to check with the doctor, but now I understand you are on treatment, the same you had before and have it already?

For the drug that I am being prescribed, I am asking the doctor about it but not yet get respond.  He told me once but I forgot.

First they prescribed me medicine which work for hiv1 then they stop me due to PCR test undetected VL.re-prescribe me with another drug which work for hiv2

Anyhow keep talking your meds. its a solid combination of drugs. When is your next follow-up appointment ?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 10:38:16 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ebeno

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 11:25:45 am »
I meant,  my Dr already prescribe the med for me just I did not know about it's combination. First,  he prescribed me the med which effective only for hiv1 and I took this medicine for one day. Then he thought I was about to catch hiv2, as my pcr not detected VL,  so he changed the med for me which contain the combination as I posted above.  That new med contain the same comb which was in PeP. so,  question is,  will my new medicine will resistance or not as I stop PeP which contains those combination drug and stop and continue? that is it.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 11:28:18 am »
Right I got you.

No there is no reason to think you are resistant, see resistance unless pre-existing is not so much from stop/starting the once, but from continued low dosing or continued stop/starting so relax  ;)
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ebeno

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 11:34:13 am »
OK.  Even I stop pep for few days?  And continue the medicine which contain the same combinations as PEP I took before?

Thanks a lot Jim. 

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2019, 11:44:05 am »
Yeah.

Look to me (and another mod I asked to look) it sounds like the communication has gone wrong somewhere between you and your doctor. It sounds prehaps like they have not taken the time you need to walk you though this and, answer your questions.

Its a sold combination of drugs, again its my own understanding that resistance unless pre-existing is not so much from stop/starting the once, but from continued low dosing or continued stop/starting so try to relax

Again, I do still think its best to see a 2nd qualified HIV doctor, prehaps write down your questions beforehand so you don't forget them or miss them and have them go through this with you to give you some peace of mind.

Best, Jim

« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 11:46:32 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ebeno

• Standard
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 07:29:42 am »
Hi Jim.  Hope ur well today.
By the way,  for hiv-2 patient,  is it possible to have baby as we cannot know about how much the VL are which possible to transmit to negative partner.  I want to get married and have children.   :'(

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2019, 07:52:35 am »
Plenty of people living with HIV 1 or 2 have children.

You will just need to find a clinc at that time to start measuring your VL and consult with the doctor. Your current doctor does not, but that does not mean in the future he will not be able to do so though.

Best, Jim.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 08:12:33 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ebeno

• Standard
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2019, 10:40:13 am »
hi Jim..  Hope ur well.

Since I came to know about my status,  I started losing a lot of weight. Every body said I am look thinner.  My Cd4 was 743. I don't know whether it is because of HIV or stress, because I always think about my state and future.  I couldnot even sleep well or eat good. 

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2019, 11:01:09 am »
What's a lot of weight thought? Like is it 10% or 20%  within 30 days ? 10% would be 7.5 kg for me, 20% 15 kg.

Anyhow I suspect it's not that range and would have very little to do with HIV, particularly as you have started treatment right? if you have not been eating or sleeping it's no surprise you have lost some weight.  Do keep your doctor posted!
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ebeno

• Standard
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2019, 11:15:24 am »
I lost around 5 kg. I always think about getting married. It makes me very stressful.  My household try to convince me to get married with this or that woman.  I have not found the girl who can accept my condition yet.  I don't know what to do now. I am very stressful. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 11:20:10 am by Ebeno »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2019, 11:23:54 am »
I have not found the girl who can accept my condition yet

You were only recently diagnosed & started treatment, with all respect first learn to digest & accept the news yourself before focusing on finding someone to date let alone marry. Besides Marriage at the best of times is not something to rush.

Take it's easy, one step at a time.

I lost around 5 kg

Try eating as normal again and getting plenty of rest.  ;) Report in with your doctor next time you have an appointment
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 11:29:19 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ebeno

• Standard
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2019, 11:33:20 am »
I feel lonely.  I have no friend to talk to.  I feel lost.  Only God whom I can talk to. I feel weak now.  I will talk with my Dr. Next appointment.  Hhhmmm.  Does TLD combinations cause rash and itch?  I experience this symptoms few weeks already. 

Offline Lamek

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2019, 11:55:00 am »
Hi Ebeno

I feel sorry that you are experiencing so much stress and anxiety, and possibly depression. you just need to relax, BREATH IN....and let the medicine do the work. For now avoid "what if's". Do not worry about marriage, partners etc. for now.

If you think you need mental help, you can also ask your doctor to refer you to a psychologist.

Remember that you are alive, and will be for many more years to come! Spend time with family and friends and do not stress yourself.

Offline Ebeno

• Standard
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2019, 12:01:38 pm »
Hi Lamek.
Thanks for your advice. I will try to spend time with my family and friends,. But though,  I cannot talk a single word from what is in my heart with them.  I feel so lonely.  Yep, I have many more years to consider about marriage but I afraid that I will fall into adultery because of my passion and desire.anyhow, let God alone treat me along with med. no one with me now but him.   :'( :'( :'(

Offline Ebeno

• Standard
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2019, 11:38:02 pm »
I really cannot make my mind ease.  I have no support now.  No one wants to play and talk with me.  I want to leave home and go away to a place where no one knows me. I can talk about my condition in this forum only.   😭😭😭😭

Offline Lamek

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2019, 08:10:20 am »
Ebeno I was also just diagnosed about a month ago. At least this forum exists and gives us assurance we will be okay. Like you, i, and many others here, have not spoken about our diagnosis with anyone. Depending on your family background and relations, some people may find it easier to disclose. For some of us it's unspeakable. Luckily we have treatment and you can stay healthy and so there is no rush in telling others. Until at least you are ready...if ever you feel like it

Last month shortly I got diagnosed I was also struggling mentally. My head was just spinning. I couldnt sleep at night and couldn't take naps during the day either. Due to enxiety. But the insomnia probably due to Atripla as well. (I will ask the doctor to change to something else tommorow!) My eyes have been constantly red from browsing the internet reading about HIV, even when I was at work pretending to be working.

But slowly im learning to control my thinking and force it into a positive direction. I have always suffered from enxiety growing up. The mind only goes into the direction YOU lead it into to. Let's try not to insinuate futuristic situations and focus on the NOW.

Watch movies, cook yourself a nice meal, call a friend you haven't heard from in a long time (you don't have to speak about HIV). I found this to have helped me.

See your doctor about every concern you might have. (Ja I know this may mean you have to be away from work on such days...) The only issue I have is having to spend money for consultation every visit ..like tomorrow when I go to get a prescription for my multivitamin refills 😅. So I try to minimise my visits...and make sure I list down all the things I want to enquire about before my visit.

Offline Lamek

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2019, 08:15:22 am »
By the way what do you mean by "nobody wants to play with me"? If it is about sex, you may consider....I don't want to sound funny, but masturbating might help you for now because you will not have to worry about other people's drama and having to disclose bla bla bla. At least while you are still in shock.

Offline Ebeno

• Standard
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2019, 09:51:37 am »
Play = sex? I dint mean that. I have no sex feeling right now. I mean no one wants to be near me or  go out with me. I had 5 plans this month but all were cancelled by other side. It seems like they secretly know my status. Anyhow, i will face it and i will try to ignore what other people think. God is enough for me.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2019, 10:45:27 am »
Hiya.

Look I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling isolated, that truly sucks. prehaps next time when you are on with the doctor however you can ask about any peer support networks locally. BTW when is your next appointment or 2nd opinion that you were looking for?

Anyhow right now you are linking everything in life to your HIV status and giving it far more power over you than it actually has or deserves.

Your friends cancelled a few plans, well it happens, that's life, it's shit when it happens but that's about it. Try to keep in mind its not all HIV related and, nobody can tell by looking at you, despite your feelings right now its not truly stamped on your forehead.  ;)

Jim
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 11:48:06 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ebeno

• Standard
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2019, 02:00:11 am »
Hi.  Hw are u?  Now i am very stressful. My parents force me to get married. I dont how to disclose my stt to the girl i love

Offline Lamek

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2019, 11:08:11 am »
Hi @Ebeno

Why are your parents forcing you to get married? They want a grandchild? (not that they can't get one anyway without you being married)

Marriage is a personal decision.

Anyway, I know someone I 'met' from the forums and he's getting married to a lady he has been with for 4 years but he hasn't disclosed. He says he is only gonna disclose after marriage. I am not saying that I support this or whatever though.

Only disclose to your lady if you think she is educated enough to understand and accept. I my opinion, the mistake that a lot of people make is that they expect everyone to be educated enough to accept you. rather start by educated them.

Offline Ebeno

• Standard
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2019, 09:23:58 pm »
@Lamek. How to not disclose before marriage? What would happen if you were about to disclose after marriage? Will you not infect your partner?  Is not it a kind of deceive that conceal your status to your partner?

Offline Lamek

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2019, 04:38:45 am »
No you will not infect her if you are undetectable. After marriage, just suggest that both of you take a test...and act like you didn't know. This will ease the burden for you. She will most likely not leave because now she is hooked onto you.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2019, 05:07:15 am »
I'm not going to get too deep into the morals of this topic, in short grow a pair of testicles and be honest with your long term partners. Personally if i married someone and found out they had purposely hid a medical condition from me, hell would break loose for multiple reasons and, it would be the quickest divorce ever. Mainly the trust would simply be damaged beyond repair, how low would my partner have to think of me or shallow about the love i have to hide something like that until after marriage.   

@OP

What I don't get it though, what's the rush? On the 4th of May you had not found a girl yet, neither had your family although they were making suggestions.  Its not an arranged or forced marriage, you have not even met a girl yet!

Just tell them you are not ready or willing to rush into getting wed to the next girl that falls into your lap if they bring up the topic again.

Take time for yourself as you were only recently diagnosed & started treatment, digest & accept the news yourself before focusing or allowing anyone to push you into marriage, like i said before marriage at the best of times is not something to rush.

You thread is filled with "what if's" and stressing about things that are not right now an issue to be focused on, instead of trying to fix all current and future issues at once take it's easy, one step at a time.

Did you go back and get a 2nd opinion already on the treatment & results? Did you address your health concerns like the seeing a GP regarding your weightless? 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 05:30:03 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2019 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.