Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 09, 2020, 10:35:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 755547
  • Total Topics: 63827
  • Online Today: 300
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 174
Total: 175

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Re: Recently Diagnosed and Have a Lot To Process  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Greendot

Re: Recently Diagnosed and Have a Lot To Process
« on: March 09, 2019, 01:56:48 pm »
Hi, I've also just started medication.i worry a lot that I may lose weight dramatically. I hope not. Besides ARV and multivitamins, do i need to take any other supplements

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 02:18:46 pm »
Hi Greendot,

Welcome to the forum, I've moved your post here as it customary to have an introduction thread as a new member and to post concerns in ones own thread.

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, why the weight concern? Have you been sick or started to loose weight?

I've also just started medication

Glad to hear it. What was your labs/ VL looking like and what treatment have you started?

if you have started treatment than the virus should be quickly suppressed meaning its no longer causing any damage to your immune system. So getting sick and loosing weight or having absorption issues should not be a major concern, normally that's an ongoing issue in untreated and/or later stages infection.

multivitamins, do i need to take any other supplements

Do you have any deficiencies that require supplements? Some people need them others don't, talk to your doctor however before taking anything like supplements or multivitamins as depending on the HIV medication you take it could interact with each-other.     

Take it easy, best Jim

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Greendot

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 02:33:11 pm »
Thank you. I'm asking just because in the first month I lost 3kg and I panicked and I want to gain weight but it seem stable than going up. I don't have any deficiencies I just wonder if and when I will get sick. I think I'm overly anxious

Offline Greendot

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 02:37:34 pm »
VL was 106000 and cd4 360. I'm taking transvenz

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 03:07:07 pm »
Hiya,

I think we all have had similar concerns at some point, however look will you get sick in life - no way around it, that's part of life, just like everyone does regardless of HIV status.

Living with (well treated) HIV is just that, living. The HIV medication suppresses the virus so it can no longer do uncontrolled damage, so start planning to live a long, healthy* and productive life.

Now if you want to live even healthier up to you, than start cutting out controllable factors, so give up smoking if you smoke, don't drink too much, get plenty of rest, eat a balanced diet, exercise etc, etc  There are some good tips & links in the welcome thread on this stuff and HIV https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=2276.0

Not sure I know the treatment your referencing, it might be a local generic ... do you know what's in it? Anyhow just check with the doctor before taking any multivitamins

Best, Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Greendot

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 01:19:20 pm »
Thank you Jim. You are patient and calm. That's reassuring. Keep up the good work. You are a star

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 02:04:23 pm »
You're welcome

Keep us posted on how things go.

Best, Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.