Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 15, 2019, 04:48:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 750086
  • Total Topics: 63029
  • Online Today: 302
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 279
Total: 280

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 54 and just diagnosed  (Read 7231 times)

Offline MrHopeful

• Where there is life, there is hope!
54 and just diagnosed
« on: March 09, 2019, 10:16:50 am »
Hello everyone!
I'm from the US, living in Mexico and was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago. I was extremely lucky to have been diagnosed. I had a risky exposure in September and had a rapid test 10 days later that came back negative, but I never had a follow-up test :(

Then a month ago I met someone and was very honest about my sexual history, I prefer folks to make informed decisions and we got thoroughly tested before having sex. I had a 4th gen test come back negative and the lab went off protocol because of my past risky behavior and did a PCR test, it came back positive.

We did further testing and yes, I'm positive.

This is super scary because if we had followed the protocol, I'd have done a single 4th gen test and been done with it. And I'd likely have infected my new partner at some point.

My CD4 count is at 230 and according to a chart, my dr showed me that is an indication that I could have been infected for 3 years!  But I've had at least 2 other 4th gen tests in that time. I guess I'll never know how I was infected. I guess it doesn't matter.

Because the universe is perverse, my new potential partner, we have not had sex, has OCD and is insistent that she be proved 100% negative. We made out a couple of times and I had a finger in her vagina one night, the finger had some saliva on it and even though it's basically impossible to transmit HIV this way, she is very angry at me for putting her at risk.

She has been very supportive and helpful. We have been in love from almost the start, 2 months ago and I care about her deeply.

Because of or OCD, I can't touch her or get closer to her than a couple of feet, If I touch anything, she won't touch it or she will through it away and I can't talk to her about her OCD at all or she gets very angry.

I have residency here and MX takes care of folks on HIV so I will begin treatment here in the next week or so. This is much harder on my girlfriend than it is on me. It's a shitty situation, and we are doing our best.

Luckily my health is excellent in general and once I begin medication, my viral load should go down and my CD4 should go up.

I'm not very worried about having HIV other than I don't want to be a danger to anyone else and it does add complexity to finding partners :)

Well, that is my story. Nice to be here!
Diagnosed: 2/18/19
Viral Load: 175000
CD4: 330
Started Tirumeq: 4/22/19
5/22/19
Viral Load: 320
CD4:639
8/14/19
Viral Load: Undetectable
9/17/19 Start Biktarvy

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: 54 and just diagnosed
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 11:39:10 am »
Hiya,

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis and the relationship struggles.

If I touch anything, she won't touch it or she will through it away

Okay, well hopefully you and your partner can work though her OCD with regards to HIV and I wish you both the best, however if she is concerned whenever you touch anything prehaps its just not meant to be for the long run as that can become toxic quickly. Do wish you well and of course practice safer sex if the relationship does progress & keep testing yearly for STI's etc out of routine like we all should.

My CD4 count is at 230 and according to a chart, my dr showed me that is an indication that I could have been infected for 3 years!

Actually its not a great indicator at all regarding how long you have been living with HIV.

230 could be less than a few weeks post infection or multiple years, depending on what level you started with, the settling point post infection and speed of progression, anyhow as you say you are here now and the focus is onward.

I will begin treatment here in the next week or so.

Cool, you have not mentioned your VL? Do you know what treatment they will be offering you?

Best, Jim
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 12:15:50 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline MrHopeful

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 02:53:17 pm »
Jim,
Thanks for your reply. I listed my CD4 count incorrectly, it's 330 and my viral load is 175, those tests were from 2/19/19. 

Because I had what I believe was IRIS in October and I had a risky exposure a month earlier and I get tested yearly, I'm thinking the infection did happen in late August.

The weird thing is a did a rapid test after 2 weeks and then in mid February, I did a 4th gen test and it came back negative. The only reason the virus was found is because of my girlfriend's OCD, the person at the lab was someone she knew and I was very up front with her about my history, so she requested every STI test known to man and included a PCR test that came back positive, then more tests were ordered and yes, I am positive. I'm so lucky she was insistent and did that extra test. The last thing in the world I'd want to do is infect someone else.

My girlfriend and I are taking a break, her stress and health are not good and having me around makes it worse. 

Thanks,
Eddie
5/22/19
8/14/19
9/17/19 Start Biktarvy

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 03:42:31 pm »
Sorry to hear about the break but prehaps its for the best though if her OCD is that bad. It can't be good for either of you to feel (irrational) burden or stress every-time you drink from the same cup or touch something in the home.

The 330/175 is not much different from the first post, basically the same region.
Anyhow i'm not seeing anything weird about the testing history, or a direct risk to the GF. 

As PCR DNA testing has its own set of issues, so does PCR RNA.
I presume when you say PCR its a RNA test.

Example in early testing.

A person who tests positive for HIV in the blood, despite negative or indeterminate antibody results, is said to have primary HIV infection. However, false positive results are fairly common. A viral load result of less than 5000 copies/ml during primary infection is probably suggestive of a false positive result, because most people have viral loads above 100,000 during this time.
http://www.aidsmap.com/Testing-during-primary-infection/page/1729302/

Now on the GF risk thing well if your GF as example had been a "Am I poster" I would have told her the key to prevention is to reduce her risks by practicing safer sex, not relying on partners test results. Her & your test results mean nothing to each other, protect yourself. Its one of the reasons why i tell all "Am I posters" and  people I talk to face to face in "committed" relationships that sex with the partner is simply accepting a risk for HIV.  Trust me drives the married & OCD types insane at times, but that's life  ;)

It will be interesting to see your next VL result.

My point however to wrap this up is don't overthink it and, turns out the old saying sex educators and we push of protect yourself no matter what stands. Anyhow for you its really time to focus on your own well-being and the future, the past is the past whatever & whenever it happened .

When will you have your next test results & have considered or discussed starting treatment already? Will you be considering moving back to the US or are you staying in Mexico I wonder? Mexico meds are free right? So it has that benefit

Best, Jim

« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 04:17:29 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline harleymc

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 12:37:24 am »
So sorry to hear about the estrangement that I happening with your girlfriend, I went through a similar situation when I was diagnosed in 1985. It hurts.

However the main thing now is to get yourself onto treatments, get that viral load totally under control, then you'll be in a good headspace for meeting someone special.

Hugs from Australia

Offline MrHopeful

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 03:01:09 pm »
Thanks for the comments! We are not a couple but we never really were, we never had sex, as I got tested first.  But we are very good friends and I think that will remain. Who knows what the future will bring. She is in therapy now and I'm starting next week.

Yes, I plan to stay in MX. I have residency and I'm on the national insurance plan which includes not just meds but a full array of services, dental, mental health, diet, etc. I should be starting on antivirals next week! 

And your right, I need to focus on my own health at the moment.

Thanks!
5/22/19
8/14/19
9/17/19 Start Biktarvy

Offline harleymc

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 11:44:07 pm »
Friendship is always a bonus!

Offline MrHopeful

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 02:50:17 pm »
Sorry for the radio silence. Got caught up in a new job and I moved from Puerto Vallarta to CDMX. Loving my new place. I was hoping to find an English speaking support group but no luck yet.

After a month on Triumeq, I went from 175000 copies to 320 and from a CD4 of 329 to 639. Wow! I was quite pleased!

I did get my Segaruo Popular moved over to CDMX and I'm set up with the clinic here, which is great. I finally got around to getting my Viral Load count done again. I have reason to believe I've been undetectable since the end of June but as of 8/14, it's confirmed! Copies per ML: <40
Log copies per ML: <1.6

I'm getting switched to Biktavy, I start in a few days.

I've told another friend that I'm Poz it went well. Sometimes I feel like just announcing it to the world. But I'm not quite there yet. Mostly it doesn't bother me and I've not really considered dating again until I'm undetectable for 6 months.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 02:55:37 pm by MrHopeful »
5/22/19
8/14/19
9/17/19 Start Biktarvy

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 09:51:05 am »
Hiya,

Great update sounds like things are going well. Congratulations on the new Job and glad the move to Mexico City is working out well.

Best, Jim

HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline JosephP

• Keep looking FORWARD... Dx'd 8/10/2013...
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 10:35:49 pm »
I'm getting switched to Biktavy, I start in a few days.

:) :) Biktarvy has been great for me!  ;) ;)

Good luck and don't stay away for so long!!
We are all dealing with this. And we will live long and productive lives!! AND, yes the Lord is my shepherd. Life is good... And thanks for the meds!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2019 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.