Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 10, 2020, 01:51:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 755567
  • Total Topics: 63829
  • Online Today: 242
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 213
Total: 214

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Recently DX  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Valentines19

Recently DX
« on: March 09, 2019, 01:42:00 am »
Hi

I've been reading and absorbing for a few weeks. Still shaken up, but i'm finding comfort in the support in the forum.

My Story..

I'm a 34y/o male, didn't really have a GP because I'm rarely ill. Early February I decided to see a doctor and asked for an annual physical and STD panel after having a jock itch then noticing a rash on my thighs. I got my blood drawn and thought nothing of it really, well I did think that worse case I may need some penicillin.

A week later, February 14th , the doctors office calls to let me know the doctor wanted to see me, and that it was 'important'. Naturally I got a bit nervous at the possibility of an HIV dx, but I really expected... hoped it was some other STD. I went to see the doctor, he sat me down and told me I tested positive for HIV.

I was stunned, I just remembered holding my head while he jotted down the number of an ID doctor he was now referring me to. I didn't feel anything that day, I went numb. For the entire night, I  googled every cell type and count from my CBC test looking for the reason someone may have gotten something wrong with this test. I nearly convinced my self that it was a false positive. It had to be, because I felt fine. I've felt fine for years..

I got an appointment with the ID doc the following day. She started to take my information and somewhere between her explaining to me... essentially what my new life would be like, and describing to me what a prophylaxis was- I broke down because now this had to be real. The doctor was really supportive, but uncomfortable with my WBC count. I was started on Bactrim immediately while we waited for the VL, CD4 and resistance tests.

The following week, my numbers came back and the ID doc called me in right away
 CD4: 54, 4% and VL: 980,000.

I started Atripla immediately. Now going on my third week, i've experienced some nausea on the third day, but generally the meds have been good to me so far.

I'm beyond grateful that I haven't had any major issues so far, and thankful for everyone that has shared stories in this forum, they've really helped me through the past couple weeks.

Just curious about my numbers, can I glean any indication of when I could've contracted this?

Is there anything I need to keep an eye out for, anything i should insist my doc look at?

I'm honestly kinda nervous about KS or any of the lymphomas right now. Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Recently DX
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 02:24:07 am »
Hiya

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, although glad to hear that you have started HIV treatment and are settling into it. The Bactrim should only be temporary until your CD4's come back up.

I nearly convinced my self that it was a false positive. It had to be, because I felt fine. I've felt fine for years..

Yeah, its not easy news to digest and people do often feel perfectly fine for years depending on speed of progression during the asymptomatic stage (clinically latent infection) 

Just curious about my numbers, can I glean any indication of when I could've contracted this?

No, you can't tell from VL & CD4 how long ago someone acquired HIV.
Example is that the asymptomatic stage lasts 2-3 years and others its 10 years.

For example purposes only, I've included a graph HIV on this post, illustrating infection average time line. Now there will be some people progressing slower and others faster than the example also some will have lower initial settling points post infection, although your numbers would be more typically seen many years post initial infection.

Does it matter? Look you are here now so see your numbers as a starting point and, remember that with treatment you can live a long healthy normal life. Also once you have the virus suppressed your immune system can start focusing on better things (healing/recovery) 

I'm honestly kinda nervous about KS or any of the lymphomas right now. Any advice would be appreciated.

Try to stop worrying about issues you don't have, it will drive you nuts if you start doing that. Look within a few months the virus will be suppressed and live goes on. ;)

Take it easy.

Jim
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 02:26:54 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline TexasDragon

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 07:46:44 am »
Valentines19 -

I’m glad you found this site. Like so many, it gave me great hope when I was initially DX’ed late 2018. I’ll never forget that. But I actually looked forward to reading the posts here everyday. They made me feel not so isolated and alone - the worst part for me.

I posted here many times what my ID doctor said at my first appointment - “Stick to the plan, and die an old man.”

That plan for me was taking better care of myself emotionally and physically. And taking my meds everyday.

Things are working out great. The “plan” works - if you work the “plan.”

Know you are not alone - and know we care.
Exposure 10-04-2018
Dx 11-08-2018
1st Appt 11-15-2018
11-15-2018 Blood Draw - CD4 468 11% VL 316,000
2nd Appt 12-04-2018 - Hep A and B Vaccines
Start of Biktarvy 12-14-2018
3rd Appt 01-15-2019 - All Good - 2nd Hep B Vaccine
01-16-2019 Blood Draw - CD4 934 28% VL 98
4th Appt 04-16-2019 - All Good - Final Hep B Vaccine
04-16-2019 Blood Draw - CD4 873 30% VL <20
01-13-2020 Blood Draw - CD4 1064 34% VL <20

Offline Valentines19

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 09:19:53 am »
Thanks guys. I really appreciate your support. I'll continue "sticking" with the plan and look forward to my tests in three months.

I still pray there are no complications during these first few months, things i've read about IRIS and other disorders that pop up when the immune system rebounds terrify me honestly.

thanks again guys.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 09:26:48 am »
I still pray there are no complications during these first few months, things i've read about IRIS and other disorders that pop up when the immune system rebounds terrify me honestly.

Again stop worrying about issues you don't have, I have the same issue when watching Jaws on the weekend and I go going swimming during the week. As if "Jaws" for some reason would pop-up in 3 foot of Irish sea no less to eat me  ;D

I should stop watching Jaws, as I do like to swim. You should stop reading about issues that don't apply to you. ;)
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline TexasDragon

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 10:25:31 am »
JimDublin -

A Great White in Irish waters - ridiculous!

Now the Kraken - that’s a distinct possibility!
Exposure 10-04-2018
Dx 11-08-2018
1st Appt 11-15-2018
11-15-2018 Blood Draw - CD4 468 11% VL 316,000
2nd Appt 12-04-2018 - Hep A and B Vaccines
Start of Biktarvy 12-14-2018
3rd Appt 01-15-2019 - All Good - 2nd Hep B Vaccine
01-16-2019 Blood Draw - CD4 934 28% VL 98
4th Appt 04-16-2019 - All Good - Final Hep B Vaccine
04-16-2019 Blood Draw - CD4 873 30% VL <20
01-13-2020 Blood Draw - CD4 1064 34% VL <20

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 11:46:27 am »
JimDublin -

A Great White in Irish waters - ridiculous!

Now the Kraken - that’s a distinct possibility!

;D
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.