Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 24, 2020, 05:38:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 752295
  • Total Topics: 63383
  • Online Today: 422
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 397
Total: 402

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Weird rash under armpit  (Read 970 times)

Offline fabio

Weird rash under armpit
« on: March 03, 2019, 08:36:39 am »
3 days now I have this rash under my armpit and in the back of my left shoulder. It feels like needles when I touch the area.
I first thought of it being an irritation from deodorant,but I also feel my whole left arm a stiffness and a weird tingle when touching.
Has anyone ever had this? I'm 100% certain it's not an sti,because I haven't had any sexual contact for 2 years now.

Offline fabio

Re: Weird rash under armpit
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 03:33:25 am »
Update: it was shingles apparently......
I got the meds to treat it apparently. Has anyone ever had shingles or something?

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 05:31:08 am »
Sorry to hear that.

Shingles sucks, did they give you any medication to reduce the duration and serverity of the outbreak?

Has anyone ever had shingles or something?

Plenty of people, myself included and as example here is my thread on it a few years back.
https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=67774.msg

Anyhow hope you feel better soon and don't scratch. You can get cream or lotion to reduce the ichy feeling over the counter if you need it.

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline fabio

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 05:47:22 am »
Yeah they gave me meds and my arm feels like shit. I'm really scared if it's a sign of treatment failure. They also gave me a cream.
I'm overall scared that it will spread everywhere. Right now it's under my armpit and my shoulder and a bit on my chest. All to the left. I just hope it doesn't spread to my face and go "blind". I feel so stressed I can't eat....

Offline fabio

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 05:50:33 am »
Also it's not really that painful. It just feels annoying when I move my arm.
Also thank you for your nice words :)

Offline fabio

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 06:17:04 am »
Question: how long did this thing last? Did you have to take the meds for long? The dermatologist told me to take the meds 3 times a day for a week. I just hope I get this over with..  ..

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
shingles Re: Weird rash under armpit
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 06:40:45 am »
Question: how long did this thing last? Did you have to take the meds for long? The dermatologist told me to take the meds 3 times a day for a week. I just hope I get this over with..  ..

The first time I has shingles, I honestly can't remember how long I took meds of how often. It's just too long ago ... I do recall i had it on my back mostly, near the spine on my lower back and was given additional meds for the pain and discomfort that this caused.

Minor flag-ups over the years I've ignored or treated with just calamine lotion, and paracetamol.

Most people contact the virus as a child and it stays with you for life, initial outbreak is called "chickenpox" happens mostly to kids, it stays with you for life and any flareups after that its "shingles". That said in some places like rhe USA I think they vaccinate against chickenpox nowadays?

Anyhow for you it just an annoyance for a few week, take the meds but not the end of the world in the scheme of things, you will get over it don't worry. Don't pick or itch at them as they starts to heal over!  ;)

I'm also moving you thread to "Living with HIV"

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/herpes-zoster-virus-shingles

HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline fabio

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 07:08:43 am »
Thank you so much,I feel more reassured. I don't really feel any itch,it just is so uncomfortable cuz it's under the armpit and it looks like I'm a failed xmen mutant hahah.

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 10:23:58 am »
Thank you so much,I feel more reassured. I don't really feel any itch,it just is so uncomfortable cuz it's under the armpit and it looks like I'm a failed xmen mutant hahah.

No superpowers than?
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline fabio

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 10:48:29 am »
Yeah,blistering pain upon myself is the superpower haha. Just like that guy in the movie that turned into alone......

Offline harleymc

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2019, 07:13:26 pm »
Shingles is a b!tch.

It won't spread skin to skin it is confined to a nerve.

painful but I hope you're feeling better soon.

Offline fabio

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 01:38:19 am »
I'm going for blood work tomorrow and I'm scared the docs are gonna shout at me or argue that I came like that. I'm way too anxious,cuz docs here are assholes......

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 02:24:09 am »
Ok.

What are you anxious about?

P.s They are health care providers, I'm sure they see anxious people all day long so stop stressing about it already ;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 02:31:24 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline fabio

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2019, 02:39:58 am »
That they will shout at me for going all blistered for a check up. Or they might find another reason to argue with me. They are really weird...
Also my dad wants to cut ferry tickets for kids,lol,because they are half price and I'm scared they will stop me at the ferry hahaha.

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2019, 02:50:08 am »
I see.

Look your a patient, who has a common medical problem. Herpes Zoster Virus, most people have it, if a touch of shingles/chicken pox upsets a doctor, than they  really should consider a career change.
Also my dad wants to cut ferry tickets for kids,lol,because they are half price and I'm scared they will stop me at the ferry hahaha.

;D Hardly a capital offense, don't stress they will not shoot you if caught!

HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline fabio

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 03:00:46 am »
I guess I shouldn't care much if the docs have an issue with me being positive. If they have a prob then you are Right,they should consider career change.
Btw,my mom was stopped once because of the kid ticket haha. My dad will do anything to save money hahaha. I sometimes think it gives him a rush of adrenaline every time he saves from the half price tickets.....

Offline fabio

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2019, 05:05:19 am »
I think the shingles have spread a little. It's more red and the blisters are all filled with fluid.
Question: is this normal?

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2019, 05:21:24 am »
My dad will do anything to save money hahaha. I sometimes think it gives him a rush of adrenaline every time he saves from the half price tickets.....

Everyone need a hobby, right?   :)

I think the shingles have spread a little. It's more red and the blisters are all filled with fluid.
Question: is this normal?

Blistering phase is normal. (fluid-filled blisters on reddened skin)

It does not spread although might be more visible now or it could  just be you didn't notice them sooner as you are now perhaps overly focused on it.   ;)

https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/about/transmission.html
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline fabio

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2019, 05:24:27 am »
No it actually showed up on other places next to the other shingles,or they are just starting to show up....
I started with valtrex yesterday and I hope by tomorrow it doesn't look worse. Thankfully it's only a part of my body that is not vissible,but sleeping was awful.. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.