Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 10, 2020, 01:00:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 755566
  • Total Topics: 63829
  • Online Today: 242
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 240
Total: 241

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New Dx  (Read 2999 times)

Offline ra_1235

• Standard
New Dx
« on: March 04, 2019, 10:41:29 pm »
I never in a million years thought I would be writing this. I just tested positive after a series of negative and indeterminate results, I had a reactive Elisa with a confirmatory western blot, which was later confirmed with a RNA Test. The week between the Western Blot and the RNA was hell, I felt like if I had died, I cried for like three days straight. 

I was shocked, I couldn't believe it. I did had sexual encounters but they were all protected, or so I thought. Maybe I was unlucky enough to had a condom ripped and not realise or even unluckier to have contracted it through oral or a tattoo I had. Up until this day I don't really know how I got it, but I've made peace with that, I don't want to think how I got it nor feel guilty.

I told my nuclear family and my best friend, thankfully they all supported me and we're all in this together.

I had my appointment with my doctor today and the results of the Viral Load and CD4 have me feeling numb

VL - 186,000
CD4 - 176

I know that's AIDS territory, I had just accepted my diagnosis and then I was punched in the face with those results. He put me on Atripla and I'm supposed to start tomorrow, he put me on Bactrim and Fluconazol as well.

At this point, I don't want to be sad anymore, nor feel miserable. I want to fight and I'm hoping to reach UD, I won't let this virus define me.  Just wanted to get all of this out, and I want to tell everyone reading this and that is also is positive, that I think you're so brave, and that what you do, even if it's just waking up everyday and living a normal live everyday is powerful, you are powerful, and loved and respected. Greetings from Mexico City.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: New Dx
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 10:59:56 pm »
Hiya

Sorry to hear about the follow-up results..

I don't want to think how I got it nor feel guilty.

There is nothing to feel guilty about in the first place, sex is perfectly natural, normal and, comes with risks for everybody. Indeed the focus now should be at looking ahead, you are here and with treatment life living with HIV goes on.

had my appointment with my doctor today and the results of the Viral Load and CD4 have me feeling numb

VL - 186,000
CD4 - 176

I know that's AIDS territory, I had just accepted my diagnosis and then I was punched in the face with those results. He put me on Atripla and I'm supposed to start tomorrow, he put me on Bactrim and Fluconazol as well.

Yeah, don't let the numbers or "AIDS" phase you too much, see it as a starting point nothing more than that and, things will just get better now you are starting treatment.  ;)

Atripla is a solid treatment, many members have taken this or are taking this.

Take it easy, Jim.

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline pompui

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 01:20:36 am »
Hey there

just saw your message and it reminds me of my own result witch have been quite similar to yours.
I just can tell you don't worry the treatment works and it will get better soon.
Easy said but try to take it easy! Also my life goes on and so will yours! Today I feel pretty fine and lab results continue to get better!

test July 2018 positiv, treatment with Genvoya since July 2018
July 18 CD4 177, VL 264.000
July 18 CD4 176, VL 22.500
August 18 CD4 236, VL 797
September 18 CD4 270, VL 417
November 18 CD4 350, VL 124
December 18 CD4 450, VL 158
February 19 CD4 300, VL 135

Best

Offline Loa111

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 04:23:04 am »
Sorry to hear about your Dx.

The Good News is you will do great in time. Just take your meds as strictly as possible, and be good to yourself. Soon enough you will be UD.  :)

Those of us who found out we'd advanced aids dx have bounced back wonderfully, of which I am one.  8)

You might feel a bit more beat up or tired if you're on an advanced DX but that will pass over a new months as your immune system gets stronger again when the meds start to do their job. A few months back, I thought I'd never feel energy again and now for the most part I've great energy and this will get better as I recover.

Keep visiting the forum n engaging with people. It's a great place to come when you might feel a little down over the Dx which we all do from time to time.

Offline TexasDragon

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 06:30:49 am »
Keep visiting the forum n engaging with people. It's a great place to come when you might feel a little down over the Dx which we all do from time to time.

So so true! I find coming here gives me courage and makes me feel less alone.
Exposure 10-04-2018
Dx 11-08-2018
1st Appt 11-15-2018
11-15-2018 Blood Draw - CD4 468 11% VL 316,000
2nd Appt 12-04-2018 - Hep A and B Vaccines
Start of Biktarvy 12-14-2018
3rd Appt 01-15-2019 - All Good - 2nd Hep B Vaccine
01-16-2019 Blood Draw - CD4 934 28% VL 98
4th Appt 04-16-2019 - All Good - Final Hep B Vaccine
04-16-2019 Blood Draw - CD4 873 30% VL <20
01-13-2020 Blood Draw - CD4 1064 34% VL <20

Offline ra_1235

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 03:51:23 am »
Hi guys!!  :) Itís been more or less one month since my diagnosis, Iíve been doing so good, Iím feeling finally at peace, more reconnected to my family and to my spirituality, however I have two main question, hope you can give me some answers  :)

1- Some nights I take my meds at 11 pm and at 1 or 2 am on the weekend because who doesnt like to sleep a little late binge watching series or even going out with friends!! Will this affect negatively my numbers?  :(

Also Iíve been thinking about living my life back to the fullest again, like I did before, and a lot of that waa travelling abroad, I was planing to go to US or Argentina soon, I know I have to travel with my meds in the original bottles... but im not sure about the doctor letter, i dont like the idea to have my dr make a letter for me everytime I travel, do you think just travelling with my meds in their original bottle in my carry on is enough??? Have you travelled this way?

Thx you!! Good energy to all of you ;D

Offline harleymc

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2019, 01:05:20 am »
A couple of hours one way or the other won't make a jot of difference.

I'm not an international traveller, I'll let someone else field your question about letters.

keep up the binge watching!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2020 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.