Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 06, 2019, 02:00:38 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 34903
  • Latest: Ejdmd
Stats
  • Total Posts: 749933
  • Total Topics: 63003
  • Online Today: 614
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV Drug Companies make big money off HIV patients  (Read 613 times)

Offline gafry53

HIV Drug Companies make big money off HIV patients
« on: April 21, 2019, 05:54:42 am »
Gilead and the other HIV drug companies make big money off the HIV patients.

Your Doctor also get a kick back from the drug companies so they push the latest

drugs with highest cost. How many people stop taking there meds because they

can't afford the cost or are tired of the paper work to get the drugs to keep them

going?? Will the USA ever become like other nations with lower drug costs?? Or

will our Politicians fill there pockets with drug money??

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: HIV Drug Companies make big money off HIV patients
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 11:41:41 am »
Companies make profit, same for many classes of drugs. They do in other nations as well now if USA healthcare will change i don't know.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 08:29:18 pm »
are tired of the paper work to get the drugs to keep them
worst excuse ever.  >:(  if consumers can't do a little paperwork to get free (or reduced/subsidized) life-saving medications (not just any ol' meds, but life-saving meds!), then they don't deserve them. While I certainly understand that pharmaceutical companies overcharge for medications (and it ain't just ARVs; it's everything. ugh) and this is a problem that absolutely needs to be addressed, these are modern times and everyone has to do some sort of paperwork to get access to any healthcare and meds (no matter the cost of production or retail price to the consumer)

here in the two states (N and S Carolinas) where I volunteer with the Ryan White programs, there's probably a 15% ADAP recertification problem every 6 months. For the lack of a signature or for not returning the form on time, case managers then have to use valuable time to track down clients and work with the state RW ADAP department to correct/update the paperwork to ensure meds refills aren't late or missed. That's a lot of extra work, staff wages, and effort just because some people think it's "too hard" to sign a paper and return it on time to get their free or subsidized medications.
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2017
Tivicay/Prezcobix

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 06:45:29 am »
Your Doctor also get a kick back from the drug companies so they push the latest
 drugs with highest cost.

Yes, drug prices in the USA are way too high and our leaders should be addressing it.  However, I can't let this statement stand as it is way to big of a generalization. 

NOT ALL DOCTOR's push their patients into newer, more expensive meds.  I've talked with mine a few times about changing (I bring it up, not him).  We both agree that staying on my initial drugs (from 2005 and 2006) is the right thing for me.  With one exception, I switched from Truvada to Descovy for my kidneys' and bones' sake, I am now taking generics.  That is generic sustiva, reyataz and norvir.
So -- again -- not all doctors are lining their pockets from the Rx companies as you say.

Mike
Atripla - Started 12/05
Reyataz/Norvir - Added 6/06
Labs - Pre-Meds
Sep05 T=350/25% VL98,559
Nov05 288/18%  47,564
Current Labs
May2015 969/28% <20

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2019 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.