Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2019, 11:13:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 746199
  • Total Topics: 62423
  • Online Today: 293
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 am)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 212
Total: 213

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: February in the US is  (Read 720 times)

Offline em

February in the US is
« on: February 09, 2019, 05:27:32 am »
PC term

people with a higher levels of pigmentation of their skin , because they come form a tropical environment history month

trying putting that phrase into a conversation in today short hand blurb contraction and initial only communications ? 

Offline em

Re: February in the US is
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 10:23:05 am »
I came back to edit this

skin  :    dermis and epidermis layers

SO it should have read people with higher levels of pigmentation of the dermis and epidermis layers. 

Because their ancestry resided in a tropical environment History Month

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 04:35:01 pm »
We Celebrate Black History Month......

Best,

OT
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline em

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 08:46:15 pm »
Nice graphic I agree the idea is a good one .

Encase anyone finds this distasteful or disrespectful  I apologize if anyone does not see how difficult in can be to try and be overly accurate while trying to be PC the thought I was trying to make to show how difficult political correctness can be

Some out there where not happy with the term Black History Month and wanted to change it to African American History Month then some spoke out to say they had never been to Africa and just wanted to be called Americans. All good points

The PC description I was trying to give is more accurate but just to big to  use easily in conversation. to try and show accuracy can be cumbersome, unwieldy and very time consuming .  just trying to point that out that there are difficulties in trying to be accurate and it has its draw backs. 

like the old man the child and the mule sometimes you can not please anyone

In case anyone does not know that story  . here it is

there is the mule old man and a child. The child is on the mule and the first people they pass say look at that selfish child making that old man walk while he rides.

then the old man rides the mule and the next person the pass says look at that selfish old man.

then they both ride the mule and the next person says look at that poor mule being over burdened

so they think and decide to carry the mule ? everyone they pas says look at those fools

My thought was to point out the draw backs of being to accurate when trying to please everyone.  it has its draw backs as well.

It may be tender issue .  My thought was trying to show the difficulties on trying to be overly PC does not work either.

Just keep it the way it is ? do not mess with something that works and sorry if trying to point out a problem with our social need to be overly politically correct might be found to be offensive as well and PI politically Incorrect?

some might try and make a complaint about everything and some might even get upset over that as swell. so it might be better to do nothing and leave it at that .

I wonder if anyone might get upset over this by saying no need to apologize for everything it is very unbecoming and people will look down on you for that as well

all the best to you and just a thought to ponder .

Maybe I just over think things :

Offline em

!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 08:45:25 am »
sorry to burden you with this emotional charged situation

but has anyone else had the misfortune of ending up on the receiving end of this statement ? I have read many people saying this on facebook.

what is the right response to this statement .

a guy sitting at a bar and an individual from an ethnic group says out of the blue as an opining statement

I can tell you are racist !

what is a correct answer!

A conversation you can not win ? 

better not to play at all ?

maybe someone can shed some light on why someone would start a conversation with a complete stranger like that ?

what answer they might accept. to diffuse such a situation.  or is it a loss no matter what ? is that the point. 

just curious what is  the best way to handle such a statement ?  a NO WIN argument for anyone on the other side of it ?

a bit to touchy a topic ?

does anyone think this worth discussing to help make the world a better place ?
with fewer arguments and more love ? or does even mentioning this makes a hot topic argument no matter what.

thank you

EM
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 08:49:01 am by em »

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 10:36:13 am »
how difficult political correctness can be
I've never thought political correctness was a bad thing, or a difficult thing. It simply means that we should all try to be empathic of people who are not like us in some way and try to be less rude about/to those people.

Do I think it seems silly to have my "pronouns" (he, him, his) listed on my placard at the HIV Planning Body? Yes; but now I know that the person across from me at that table wants to be referred to as "her" and not "him". Now I am more friendly to someone else on the planet and we work together better. Being politically correct wasn't difficult at all.

Most political correctness is not mandated or law; it's just makes us decent human beings by being nicer to other human being. I find that the people who complain about political correctness are often prejudicial people who should re-evaluate their attitude towards other people.

a guy sitting at a bar and an individual from an ethnic group says out of the blue as an opining statement
I can tell you are racist !
i think there is a flaw with your hypothetical situation. I doubt the "individual from an ethnic group" said that kind of opinion completely out of the blue. The more common cause of that kind of interruption is that the "guy sitting at a bar" was sending signals about his racism - either by his clothing, tattoos, or overheard bits of conversation with other people.

what is a correct answer!

A conversation you can not win ?
the correct answer is for the "guy sitting at a bar" to say he's sorry the "individual from an ethnic group" thought he was a racist. He needs to continue by explaining that he doesn't think he's a racist and would like to know what he said or did that caused the "individual from an ethnic group" to misunderstand his intentions.

unfortunately, this conversation rarely goes that way; so the next correct answer would be to get out of the situation asap
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

chart from 1992-2017
Tivicay/Prezcobix

Offline em

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2019, 01:16:14 pm »
so true and thank you leatherman

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 11:49:20 am »
PC term

people with a higher levels of pigmentation of their skin , because they come form a tropical environment history month

trying putting that phrase into a conversation in today short hand blurb contraction and initial only communications ?

Obviously no issue here.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2019 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.