Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 20, 2019, 09:22:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 741054
  • Total Topics: 61647
  • Online Today: 269
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 am)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 99
Total: 102

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Are we considered immunocompromised?  (Read 437 times)

Offline fabio

Are we considered immunocompromised?
« on: February 05, 2019, 04:23:20 am »
Even though we take the meds and we keep our cd4 on check and the vl on check,are we still considered immunocompromised?
In short,if something happens to us are we in more danger? (Healthwise).

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Are we considered immunocompromised?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 05:07:07 am »
Fabio.

I love you I mean it. I get the feeling from your posts that the future still concerns you. So I'll say that you are young, living in an era of vastly improved meds and, HIV with that treatment is not in itself a road block to leading a long healthy life.

Whatever will be will be in life, no point worrying about it too much or getting hung up on definition of a wide group. Although if you want to improve your odds of living healthier than same as the rest of the population, exercise more, better diets, avoid smoking, don't drink too much and quality of sleep, above all care for your mental health during your journey of life.

Even though we take the meds and we keep our cd4 on check and the vl on check,are we still considered immunocompromised?
In short,if something happens to us are we in more danger? (Healthwise).

Are we 'immunocompromised'?

https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=64772.msg
https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=68128.msg

We belong to a group of people that are ‘immunocompromised" . It's a wide net with some more so fitting that term than others I suppose

If something happens to us are we in more danger?

Depends on what, how and to who. "Us" is a wide group.
As a group we have certain increased risk factors for certain things.

See it's your health, you are young, picked up on the infection early and started quickly modern treatment. This is greatly different to some people lumped into the same group of immunocompromised or statistical outcome data.

Realistically when facing the same issues as we're all different we will have different outcomes. Hence reduce your manageable factors is something you can focus on. The flip side it also can in a way come with decreased risks or early detection of problems HIV Negative counterparts miss out on as a group.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 09:48:14 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline fabio

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 10:13:15 am »
Haha thanks for the answer. It's been bugging me so much. I've been watching on flu's and colds (the pig flu) and in general simple diseases like that. All the articles say that that simple flu lasts x time and clears up on it's own bla bla,unless you are immunocompromised. And that was the "but" of every article.
So I wondered if we are in a bigger risk of infections than other people without hiv could get.
Also I kinda got scared for me,because even though I had a high cd4 count when I was diagnosed (340),I had quite many symptoms of early infection,had really bad colds,shivers,nightsweats,bad fevers with puking. All that stuff that for all of my 20 years of living never ever had. And I got scared of that getting normal and being easily infected with everything.
Anyways,thank you so much. Every dumb question I write here gets answered haha.

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 10:25:40 am »
simple flu lasts x time and clears up on it's own bla bla

The simple flu, simply kills*, simple as.

It can and does kill people with or without other immune problems, keeping in mind someone with diabetes and/or a host of common conditions is classed as immunocompromised

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2017/p1213-flu-death-estimate.html

Look if you are worried about the flu or getting sick, than consider reasonable precautions such as getting vaccinated to reduce your risks. This is the same for a number of illnesses.

No need to panic every time someone sneezes or you sneeze, its HIV not Ebola

Jim
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 11:10:17 am »
Every dumb question I write here gets answered haha.

Unless its infected KFC, or about anal probing by Aliens from outer-space there are no dumb questions and absolutely no need to worry about asking, that is in part what the forum is for and many people have been in a similar place were your thoughts & concerns are and have lived through it ;)

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 11:12:24 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Online MadDog125

• Not today,
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 12:51:11 pm »
I can tell you my own side.  The last couple years before I was diagnosed.  I went from someone who never got sick to three colds a year and they lingered.  Both the id's I have been under have said the same thing be careful not paranoid.  With a low cd4 count the risk is higher not certain.  They have both stressed vaccination.  Basicly arm the hell out of the army your system has.  They were both more worried about my emotional state than my medical status.  Hell they even told me not to cancel the global tour I have planned just be smart about it.
DX 28DEC17, cd4 112, VC 63000
13FEB18, cd4 215, VC 156
14MAY18, cd4 260, VC 31
23AUG18, cd4 298, VC 61
03OCT18, cd4 300, VC 35
21NOV18, cd4 259, VC <20
18JAN19, cd4 284, VC 24

Offline fabio

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 01:33:07 pm »
Yeah my docs said the same. They did give me the prescription for the year flu shot (which I didn't have to pay hehe 😆😁😄) but now I feel better.
I don't feel those shivers or extreme nightsweats.

Offline TexasDragon

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 04:08:36 pm »
My ID has vaccinated the bajeebas out of me - flu, phenomena, Hep A and B, tetnus, shingles, Every time I go I leave jabbed!

‘Stick to the plan, and die an old man!’ And part of the plan is to get vaccinated whenever possible.
Exposure 10-04-2018
Dx 11-08-2018
1st Appt 11-15-2018
11-15-2018 Blood Draw - CD4 468 11% VL 316,000
2nd Appt 12-04-2018 - Hep A and B Vaccines
Start of Biktarvy 12-14-2018
3rd Appt 01-15-2019 - All Good - 2nd Hep B Vaccine
01-16-2019 Blood Draw - CD4 934 28% VL 98
Next Appointment in April!

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 12:04:11 pm »

olí.    Hi FABIO...I don’t know your story, but I think you should let go to all those nonsense worries. Please go back tovlive your normal life...picture this. 24 years ago a guy got and AIDS dx, he was told he just had two more years to live. This guy started his treatment went back to work, he kept doing what he used to do before his dx. Even though this guy knew his treatmentnot wasn't working, he kept taking his meds. I won't lie to you, this guy lost some battles to AIDS losing almost all his vision, he had to retire early from work. Then, when he was told, go home and wait for an oportunistic infection to kill you. Later on his doctor caloed him to offer him a new treatment that still wasn't approved by the FDA, long story short, treatment worked and this guy is still alive after taking this new treatment for 12 years?...this guy is me?..so relax, live your life and don't waste time, it won't come back...I got to go...hugs and good luck.     ojo

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2019 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.