Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 20, 2019, 09:27:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 741054
  • Total Topics: 61647
  • Online Today: 269
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 am)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 106
Total: 109

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Has anything changed while.getting older with hiv?  (Read 572 times)

Offline fabio

Has anything changed while.getting older with hiv?
« on: February 01, 2019, 01:42:32 pm »
Did you have any complications while living with hiv and getting old?
Do you have to take other meds too?
What is the biggest drawback? Or is There?

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Has anything changed while.getting older with hiv?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 02:31:08 pm »
Getting old in general, my thoughts live and worry about old when you get there. ;)

https://youtu.be/0-5YuglDcmg
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 02:43:15 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline MarkintheDark

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 08:45:02 pm »
Since I'm in my 60s, guess I qualify, huh?  Nevertheless, I can only speak from my experience.  HIV is affected by so many other things such as what meds you've been on, if you've taken drug holidays, your personal habits, etc.  I'm poz 26 years.

I had a heart attack five years ago, gall bladder removed a year-and-a-half ago (man, that was painful when it hit!), a couple COPD hospitalizations.  As I've discussed it with my team, the verdict is that, yes, inflammation has played a part.  I'm on Lipitor and, since I'm under 200 again, Bactrim.  However, my BP and BMI are very good...tbh, better than most Americans ;-)

A particularly good read on the inflammation issue: https://www.poz.com/article/chronic-inflammation-big-deal-people-hiv  In short, inflammation is the immune system's response to infection which, as the article states, may be in overdrive.  For my age, when it comes to medication, I'm handling it appropriately, particularly with a statin.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 08:49:38 pm by MarkintheDark »
HIV dx - 02/93
AIDS dx - 07/01
Rilpivirine/Cabotegravir guinea pig since 01/17

Offline leatherman

• Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 09:43:55 am »
Did you have any complications while living with hiv and getting old?
what age are you considering as "old"?  ;)
Some days I'm starting to feel "old" at 56 (when I'm sick, aches and pains all over from living these past almost 57 years); Some days I still feel in my 30s (at the amusement park, taking care of the huge lawn at our new house, or at the gym most every morning).

Also, how long are you considering for the "living with HIV" part of your question? The situation for a 65 yr old living with HIV for 5 years is different than the situation for a 65 yr old living with HIV for 35 years. Earlier HIV meds may have done long term damage; being hospitalized with AIDS could have long term aftereffects; starting on newer meds; starting meds prior to an AIDS diagnosis - all of these things could make major differences in "getting older with HIV".

Do you have to take other meds too?
of course! Almost everyone I know over 50 is taking meds for something. I recently started the same cholesterol med that my baby brother (who is 7 yrs younger than me, living without HIV) has been taking for the last 7 years.

What is the biggest drawback? Or is There?
Having nearly died of AIDS a number of times in my life (with each of those times being on one of my birthdays!), personally I don't think there's a drawback to aging with HIV. It certainly beats dying in your 30s.

According to my grandmother, who quit playing golf in her late 80s and is coming up on 102 yrs old this summer, the biggest drawback to aging is being unable to do the things you used to do because your body is wearing out.
leatherman (aka mIkIE)

There's no rain, there's no storm, though the blue sky makes you wonder
Don't you fear what will come will come
And right now we're in the sun
Sure enough, seasons change
But don't let today get lost 'cause today the sun's on us
Today the sun's on us
- Sophie Ellis-Bextor

chart from 1992-2017
Tivicay/Prezcobix

Offline fabio

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 09:59:18 am »
Oh 56 or 60 isn't old...my dad is 60 and he still works on painting and has a better body than me (😑😑😑) also he doesn't take meds.
I hope that aging will be more of maturing wine than aging like a grape....
Thank you very much for your perspectives though. 😁

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 05:02:20 pm »
I'm 62, taking HIV meds for 18 years; started w/TCell at 112.  For the most part, I see myself aging much like my HIV- counterparts.  My blood pressure may be somewhat elevated from HIV.  It is still within the normal range for a 62 year old, but given my good diet and exercise habits, and that I'm at my ideal weight, I think it should be lower.  As I write this, it registers 123/65, pulse 41, on my Omron monitor.  Systolic over 120 is now considered elevated.  I do liberally use salt.

I have noticed my mental abilities are slowing down. 

I take only HIV meds and over-the-counter supplements.

I am retired and I think that yields enormous benefits; low stress, daily exercise, better diet, and more than adequate sleep (10 hours last night).

Fabio:  My best tips for better aging are a daily exercise program w/resistance and aerobics, and if you're Caucasian, use sun screens daily and limit sun exposure.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 05:27:35 pm by MitchMiller »

Offline joemutt

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 11:36:40 pm »
https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/hiv-aging

I am 57, poz and on meds for 22 years, my health is fine.
You definitely change getting older (knees in my case) but my doctor says generally about my complaints: 'that's not hiv, that's getting older'. I am monitored every 6 months, early on I was advised to keep muscle mass and keep lipid profile under control that's what I did. The disquiet of being poz disappeared after a few years,
that's an advantage of getting older for me and, well, what's the alternative.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 11:40:21 pm by joemutt »

Offline fabio

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 12:39:09 am »
I just hope the years I'm alive won't be as dramatic as the current ones. And hopefully we will still be talking here and answering/reading each others questions.
It's weird,I don't know anyone here personally and I have opened up to you more than anyone. To that I am very thankful.
I think I would be an emotional wreck without the help I've been getting here. Part of me being now accustomed with my status is because of the support you guys give me.
Thank you.

Offline em

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 12:23:55 pm »
about getting older

there is a high probability that there is a getting older in your future.

HIV is not going to take your life anytime soon. Not knowing the future for sure unless some catastrophic calamity  befalls all of us that we are not expecting that comes out of the blue. That this would effect negatively on everyone. the sky is falling

the unknown for all of us not with standing HIV is not the obstacle it once was in likelihood there are many years ahead you will have the pleasure to enjoy

for me getting older over weight high blood pressure pre-diabetes and high cholesterol plus a lazy feeling and depression . those are my problems the alternative of almost dying from AIDS when there was no treatment available at that time.  I am very lucky to be able to take another breath not to mention 25 years worth.   This is not what will happen to you your future looks much brighter  at least from the information I have learned about HIV. You will most likely not going to have the the same fate.  No one lives the same life as another    some day you might look back after fifty years and think. how did i get so lucky to have come so far . that just might be the possible future for you

all the best you

EM

Offline harleymc

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 11:48:37 pm »
I've been living with HIV since diagnosis in 1985 and possibly longer. so I've not got much to contrast this with.

I'm doing ok for someone who used to smoke for over 30 years.  I'm not the fastest cyclist in the world not by a long shot.

I get arthritis, but really my health is as good as my negative friends of similar age.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2019 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.