Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 24, 2019, 06:07:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 740190
  • Total Topics: 61513
  • Online Today: 142
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 am)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 80
Total: 83

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Am I Infected

Welcome to the "Am I Infected?" POZ forum.

New members -- those who have posted three or fewer messages -- are permitted to post questions and responses, free of charge (make them count!). Ongoing participation in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- posting more than three questions or responses -- requires a paid subscription.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Am I Infected?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There will be no charge to continue reading threads in the "Am I Infected?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the Main Forums; Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits; and Off Topic Forums. Similarly, all POZ pages, including our "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "Am I Infected? (A Guide to Testing for HIV)" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Am I Infected?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Is it Possible to test positive after 12 weeks of negative tests  (Read 813 times)

Offline Lh54377

• Standard
Hello Everyone

I had a possible exposure 3 months ago that warranted me to get on Pep, I was only able to be on it for 6 days and had to stop because of allergic reaction. During this time Iíve had these symptoms Symptoms
Weak legs, Pain in joints and musclesPain behind the earsStiff neckBurning feet and handsConfusionPressure behind eyesReally bad stomach acid and indigestionPain In forearmsSwollen lymph nodes NauseaElevated white blood countBurning lymph nodes Rash Burning sensation in headLegs felt they have to be moved
Pain in ribs side groinYellow urineBurning throatPain on sidesLack of energy Pain behind eyes Finger nail discoloration  Mouth issues Stomach issuesEyes burning and itching when I cryPain behind ears Continuous UTIís.....During this time Iíve tested perfect at each window period RNA Hiv 1 (18 days) 4th Gen (23 days) RNA HIV (28 Day) NAT PCR (35 Day)   4Th Gen( 40 days)  RNA HIV (49 days) RAPID 4TH GEN (77Days)  RNA HIV 1 (83 days) 4Th Gen (84 days) . My CD4 count dropped from 1600 to 1388 in a month and a half

Is it possible to test positive after 12 weeks of negative test. Does the exposure matter for example a needle stick vs getting anus licked from a transgendered prostitute in a highly hiv infected region? Having unprotected sex with multiple partners etc does that change the rate of replication which I turn takes longer for virus to be detected?

6days of pep cause delayed detection? Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 11:59:06 am by Lh54377 »

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Is it Possible to test positive after 12 weeks of negative tests
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 12:05:05 pm »
Hiya,

Your negative antibodies test at 84 days post exposure (78 days post PEP) is highly unlikely to change and I would not recommend follow up testing.

If you must for peace of mind test with an approved antibodies test at 3 months post finishing PEP for a conculsive result

getting anus licked from a transgendered prostitute in a highly hiv infected region?

Not a HIV risk whatsoever

Having unprotected sex with multiple partners etc does that change the rate of replication which I turn takes longer for virus to be detected?

Unprotected intercourse is a risk, no it doesn't matter how often you do it HIV replication would not increases or decrease from having more or less sex

Masturbating also BTW will not change replication rate, just encase that was on your mind

needle stick

Minute risk only really seen in health care settings

6days of pep cause delayed detection? Thanks!

Realistically no, conservative 6 days delay tops and I already took that into account when I answered your test question above

My advice relax move on with your life

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:
Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions.  Consider starting PrEP as an additional layer of HIV prevention going forward.

Keep in mind that some sexual practices which may be described as safe in terms of HIV might still pose a risk for transmission of other far easier to acquire STI's, so please do get fully tested regularly and at least yearly for all STI's including but not limited to HIV and test more frequently if unprotected intercourse occurs

Also note that it is possible to have an STI and show no signs or symptoms and the only way of knowing is by testing.

More information on HIV Basics, PEP, TaSP and Transmission can be found through the links in my signature to our POZ pages, this includes information on HIV Testing

Kind regards

Jim

Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.
I
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Lh54377

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 12:49:22 pm »
Thanks,

To address the exposure and rate of replication I was speaking in terms of how the virus enters the body, so for example, an exposure that had less virus at entry point would it take longer to replicate in blood and also the pep taking the virus say down to hypothetically 1 and it starting to replicate from low starting point. Also the CD4 count, if infected does it always have a sharp drop during acute stage then gradually go up to median range, or can it just steadily drop?

Basically asking if I was infected 3 months ago would my cd4 still be as high as 1388

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 01:10:23 pm »
Hiya,

CD4 count is irrelevant, it's largely even irrelevant in management of HIV in people living with HIV.  Yes it can drop post infection sharply before returning to near normal levels for someone

How you aquired HIV, or low/high the VL would not change the testing time/antibodies response and I've explained the PEP

You have a near conclusive result. Test at 3 months with an approved antibodies test post PEP for peace of mind and a conculsive result if you must.

My advice is to move on however, the results are not going to change

Jim

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 01:13:49 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mike_no

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 04:24:45 pm »
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 04:29:28 pm by JimDublin »

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 04:30:01 pm »
@Mike

As well intended as your comment may have been only those Moderators and members who are authorized to answer questions in the Am I Infected? forum are permitted do so. Unauthorized responses may be deleted without permission of the poster. Repeatedly posting replies of this nature may result in a Time Out or permanent ban

Jim
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Lh54377

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 08:56:38 am »
Hello,

Doing research Iíve seen that after taking your meds for however long you can get extremely inflamed which can cause paradoxical Tuberculosis, or you can get fluid in your lungs, have a lot of issues with nervous system (Gilean Barre) etc. I never see anyone talking about having this experience but I know that it happens, does it happen less now or just not documented? Also what help is there for someone who is pretty much allergic to majority of the Meds or the Meds make them extremely inflamed? I took Descovy and Tivicay for like 6 days and my face swole, tongue swole, bad rashes, and felt like I couldnít get my urine to come out good. Anyone here with experience of having to go from Med to Med because of being allergic or to harsh on body?

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2019, 09:20:44 am »
If you had a TB infection (Caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis, not HIV or HIV meds) that was responding to treatment and is now worsening (paradoxical Tuberculosis) you should be seeing your doctor and accessing urgent care.

Tivicay, should not be administered without running a hypersensitivity test first, if you had a bad reaction to it and than stopped taking it, the issue should subside fast. People who do have a unmanageable reactions to HIV meds (rare) and need to take HIV meds can switch, there are plenty of alternatives.

Either way, if you are unwell stop playing doctor and self-diagnosing, see your doctor and treat whatever is making you unwell.

Jim
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 09:25:11 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 09:26:31 am »
Please Note.
As a member of the AM I Infected Forum you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion. Any additional threads will be deleted.
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Lh54377

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 12:52:27 pm »
I understand itís rare, but my question is how is IRIS handled because no one talks about it except on articles online

2. What is done for someone who has issues with the drugs as majority of the drugs are the same combination of same ingredients.

3. Also is it possible after 11 weeks to test negative for all types of test and still have the virus, meaning they tested for antibodies, antigens, and the virus and all were negative but then be hiv positive a month later?

4 Had a guy say that because of taking PEP it knocked his immune system out of wack and body didnít produce antibodies for hiv for a whole year. Whatís the solution to that

Thanks

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 01:04:01 pm »
Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome
Not a concern for you as you don't have a HIV diagnosis, let alone IRIS!

This really is only the concern with very low CD4 counts and underling untreated infections when starting treatment. Its not an issue for you and its dealt with by treating the HIV infection and also co-infections accordingly with close monitoring if needed, it depends on the situation.

Not a concern for you as you don't have a HIV diagnosis

Ill keep it simple the majority of drugs are not the same combination of ingredients and I've never heard of anyone being allergic to all combo's.

Asked and answered

You have a near conclusive result. Test at 3 months with an approved antibodies test post PEP for peace of mind and a conclusive result if you must. My advice is to move on however, the results are not going to change

Stories are not facts. Stop focusing on other peoples fantasy and things that simply do not apply to you and test for indicated above for peace of mind and than move on with your life.

Finally and again, see a doctor if you are sick and treat whatever is making you feel unwell

Jim
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 01:24:36 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Lh54377

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 05:22:46 pm »
Iím still not convinced I just tested again and the results came back negative
But my CD4 keeps dropping like significantly back in November it was 1600 and something then the beginning of this month it was 1388 and now is like 1275 if it keeps trending down and Iím showing symptoms but no positive test then what????

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 05:37:01 pm »
That's not significant of anything whatsoever. It will fluctuate by many 100's in a perfectly healthy person even within the same 24 hours.

I'm not going to continue the Merry go round of totally pointless questions and answers with you.

The only test result regarding your HIV status that matters is your HIV antibodies test and so far it's negative, test at 3 months with an approved antibodies test post PEP for peace of mind and a conculsive result if you must.

My advice however instead is to simply move on with your life. Remember to use condoms for any intercourse and test out of standard routine like every sexually active adult should at least yearly for HIV and far easier to aquire STI's

Jim
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Lh54377

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 05:57:18 pm »
I feel like you are being insensitive to my situation, itís not like Iím a hypochondriac or crazy, I have these symptoms including oral thrush just got sick and I never get sick so you tell me how I should feel, if I see something not only changing in my body but in the numbers, science and medicine is not exact so forgive me if I donít believe it to a fault. Case in example multiple people on this thread stating they got hiv from oral when most say it is nil that you can. If my CD4 keeps dropping what am I supposed to do go on my merry way?? Come on....especially with the white in my mouth....because at the end of the day if I end up being a different case itís my life at stake

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2019, 06:12:41 pm »
Giving a blowjob is a near negligible risk, not a zero risk. There are cases, you will not have seen me claiming otherwise

I'm sorry you feel I'm insensitive, however fact is I'm not your therapist or mother and I've been plenty supportive. The best support I can provide you with is keeping you on track and focusing on facts not fantasy!

You don't have to like it, but that's the way it is

If my CD4 keeps dropping what am I supposed to do go on my merry way?? Come on....especially with the white in my mouth..

Thrush is so common that nearly every adult will experience this fungal overgrowth in their life time regardless of HIV status, HIV does not cause it and your CD4 count is perfectly normal and if tested in the AM and again in the PM it's easy to have a 100+ point difference ...

See your doctor treat your oral thrush or whatever it is and test as per guidelines given for HIV and then move on with your life.

I hope you feel better soon , I really do but it's that simple, no drama required

Jim

HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2019 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.