Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2019, 01:11:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 34471
  • Latest: Ni
Stats
  • Total Posts: 745356
  • Total Topics: 62298
  • Online Today: 321
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 am)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 253
Total: 257

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Meds and baggage control on airports  (Read 1420 times)

Offline fabio

Meds and baggage control on airports
« on: December 14, 2018, 11:22:09 am »
Is there some way to get your meds through without telling airport control what it's for? I want to go visit my brother in the UK next year and I'm really worried.
Plus I want to be able to travel on other places for fun...

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Meds and baggage control on airports
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 11:30:37 am »
Always in hand luggage, never carried more than 60 days worth

I travel to the US, EU & UK a dozen times a year for work and I bring my medication with me, in the original packaging. Also I bring a Doc note simply outlining what medication i am taking with me and that it's for "a medical condition" so non-specific. 

Never had any problems or issues at all, never was asked what the pills are for.  Only once did customs ask me to show them the bottle and the only reason was I had left the bottle of meds in my pocket (jacket) instead of my carry on bag and i was randomly frisk searched. I gave him the bottle, he looked (glanced at it) and gave it back, he just wanted to know what was in my pocket.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 11:34:07 am »
Plenty of threads on the "customs" at airports.
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline fabio

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 12:42:07 pm »
Thank you so much :). I will probably ask the doc what letter I need and if I need to translate that as well. Thanks again :)

Offline TGun

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 02:26:38 pm »
In the US, customs officials have a computer program that can identify what a pill is based on the color and inscriptions on the pill.  Offficers use this when they encounter pills that are not in a bottle during a luggage search.  If it were me, i would carry the original pill bottles with me on in my carry-on luggage when traveling into a "Friendly" country.  When traveling into an "Unfriendly" country such as Dubai for instance, i would just keep my meds in a pill reminder container.  I also wouldn't have a large amount of meds with me, only the required amount, plus a few days extra.  Just my 2 cents, coming from a frequent world traveler that has friends in the airlines and customs fields in US.  Cheers

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 03:11:41 pm »
Thank you so much :). I will probably ask the doc what letter I need and if I need to translate that as well. Thanks again :)

You're welcome.

Look unless you have rediculas amounts with you they are hardly going to care. The original packaging & letter is a just encase they ask, I never had to use it but I have it to cover my ass and I travel all over the world for work.

The UK is not a HIV hostile nation, so safe travels.
Although you might want to bring food and water with you the way things with britexit are going ;D

Jim
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline MadDog125

• Not today,
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 09:53:14 am »
Speaking on this topic.  I travel all over the US via commercial and GA never had an issue.  I have not been international since I was diagnosed however.  Any truth about travel restrictions?  I hope not there are a fair few countries on my bucket list still.  Also regarding carrying drugs is it advisable to carry a care letter (doctor's note)?
DX 28DEC17, cd4 112, VC 63000
13FEB18, cd4 215, VC 156
14MAY18, cd4 260, VC 31
23AUG18, cd4 298, VC 61
03OCT18, cd4 300, VC 35
21NOV18, cd4 259, VC <20
18JAN19, cd4 284, VC 24
17APR19, cd4 157, VC <20
24MAY19, cd4 340, VC <20

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 10:13:46 am »
You can check here: http://www.hivtravel.org

There are a few uptight nations but vast majority are cool.

The letter is just backup encase anyone ever asks why you have meds with you, i.e is it personal use for a medical condition but I would always recommend checking before travel because some nations are funny about it

Jim
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline MadDog125

• Not today,
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 02:31:16 pm »
Thanks for the link very informative.
DX 28DEC17, cd4 112, VC 63000
13FEB18, cd4 215, VC 156
14MAY18, cd4 260, VC 31
23AUG18, cd4 298, VC 61
03OCT18, cd4 300, VC 35
21NOV18, cd4 259, VC <20
18JAN19, cd4 284, VC 24
17APR19, cd4 157, VC <20
24MAY19, cd4 340, VC <20

Offline fabio

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 08:53:08 pm »
Although what sucks is that in my country (Greece),even though meds are free,you can't take more than one bottle per month. So the people in the unit advised me to start the pills at least 11 days late so I can have 11 days of leftovers.
I guess I will have to plan my trip when I get the new pill box (every first of the month).
Man,it's things like this that make me feel so secluded......

Offline fabio

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 08:55:32 pm »
Certainly I will have my brother pay the food and drinks hehe. I am the younger brother after all 😉😉

Offline Mojito

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 12:04:33 am »
I plan to visit Geneva Switzerland for work in Jan 2019 and would be there for 6 months. I plan to carry my medication for the duration along with valid prescription. Would that be an issue?

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 12:40:09 am »
http://www.hivtravel.org/Default.aspx?PageId=143&CountryId=171

Antiretroviral medication can be imported for personal use. It is recommended to carry a prescription.

Unless anyone has a better answer or information, Personally I would urge on the side of caution since its 6 months worth, I mean it can't hurt to check ahead of time with the local ASO if they know the answer to this question.

Jim
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Mightysure

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2018, 06:09:48 pm »
Does this happen often at airports? That medication bottles are examined durint security checks? That seems invasive. They shouldn't be allowed to ask what it's for. They should only check if your name is on the label.

This is why I hope they make injectable meds available in countries that do not have good privacy laws.

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2018, 06:28:28 pm »
They could ask just about anything at customs, however I've personally speaking never been asked what the pills are for and the letter from the doctor just says the name of the medication and that it's for personal treatment.

Bejond the point of it being legal or not I doubt customs care and they see millions of people upper year however it's easily enough for them to check what it's for without having to ask if they wanted
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline daveR

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2018, 07:30:40 am »
I travel a lot for work. Always have my meds in my hand baggage. Depending on how long I plan to be away I may have 6 bottles of pills. I take a two pull regime, bag is always x rayed at transit points and check in points. In the past 2 1/2 years I have never had an issue.
That would be in Asian, European and African countries. Unless you have something show up on the X Ray I think you will never be stopped. Even in Gabon where they manually search every bag they never once questioned the pills, just not what they look for.
I do have a note from the hospital but have never had to show it yet.

Dave

Offline Mightysure

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 11:10:29 am »
Well, I guess they could technically ask, but you shouldn't be required to answer what it's for.

So, Jim you take a letter from your doctor for your meds? I'm taken a back by all of this. I guess I took American privacy culture regarding medical issues for granted.

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 11:33:21 am »
So, Jim you take a letter from your doctor for your meds? I'm taken a back by all of this. I guess I took American privacy culture regarding medical issues for granted.

Yeah, it's just a letter saying I take XYZ medication, dosage Y daily for personal treatment and doctors stamp /contact details.

Never needed it but when traveling with pills accross multiple borders a year it's just encase I'm asked.

Personally i do not think privacy is violated if someone was to ask me what drugs are you bringing into the country. If they advertised it after asking or announced it over the public intercom than sure ... Now if customs could never ask just because of privacy regulations than dope dealers globally would be sticking all sorts in pills / pill shaped drugs into bottles and booking flights ;)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 11:44:38 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Mojito

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 04:44:23 pm »
http://www.hivtravel.org/Default.aspx?PageId=143&CountryId=171

Unless anyone has a better answer or information, Personally I would urge on the side of caution since its 6 months worth, I mean it can't hurt to check ahead of time with the local ASO if they know the answer to this question.

Jim

As an update I am currently in Geneva, carried with me 6 month of supplies with  doctor prescription and my blood reports. No questions asked at the airport.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2019 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.