Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 19, 2019, 03:38:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 740013
  • Total Topics: 61493
  • Online Today: 324
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 am)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 228
Total: 231

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Update 12/13/18 Good news and bad news,...  (Read 466 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
Update 12/13/18 Good news and bad news,...
« on: December 13, 2018, 05:41:01 pm »
Hi All, thought I would give an update,...

Good news, and some not so good news,...

First the good news.  I started on Triumeq on April 23rd , 2018.  I was tested on May 25th 2018.  After approx. one month on Triumeq, my Tcell went to 404 and the CD 4 percentage was at 13%.

I just had labs done on November 26th, 2018,.. And I am happy to say that my CD4 is now at 600, and my CD 4 percentage is at 55% !

This is the highest that these numbers have been, since starting meds in October of 2003. HIV viral load not detected.

Other lab results are:

Cholesterol--- 190

HDL--47

LDL --122

TC/HDL Ratio-- 4.0

Both my primary and I.D. doctors will be monitoring my eGFR, and Creatinine, those numbers were slightly off and I will be retested in 6 months for those.

eGFR was 49 ( Should be above 60)

Creatinine was 1.45,   should be between .64 and 1.27

ALL other lab results were good.

Now the bad news,... My Primary care and my I.D.  Doctors feel,  That I am now at the point, to seriously consider getting my Mitral Valve replaced or repaired. And the thing is,... I AGREE !!

There has been quite a change in my health over the past 6 months.  Even though my HIV health has improved dramatically,  I am now experiencing much more fatigue and weakness, shortness of breath. Anything physically related, Seems like a struggle. This is associated with the bad Mitral valve.

I find myself laying in bed for outrageous amount of hours.  Exercise has been minimal, because I wear out much to quickly, and I get shortness of breath.

I also am having some issues with my feet swelling up.  It doesn't happen often, and it's not painful, but the swelling is obvious when it happens.  Usually if I lay down, The minor swelling, on the tops of my feet, will go back to normal in about 15 minutes or so.

My Primary care refers to this condition as Peripheral vascular insufficiency. Most likely caused by the Mitral valve getting worse. He has prescribed those compression socks.  Now I really look like an old man !

I had another Echo cardiogram done, this past Monday.  The person doing the test asked me when I was seeing the cardiologist. She seemed concerned.

I responded I have an appt., on Monday December 17th.  So there will be more discussion to repairing this valve next Monday.

So that's what's going on,.. Except for the fatigue, I am doing well, and not in any  pain or discomfort.

I will update this as I find out more about getting the valve repaired.

Take care all, hope everyone has a great holiday, and a Healthy NEW YEAR !!

Ray
Current Meds ; Triumeq, 20mg of Atorvastatin, 25 mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Amlodipine Besolate 5mg-- Updated 6/9/18

Diagnosed positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of 11/26/18,  Viral load remains <40
CD 4 @600 /  CD4 % @ 55

67 years young.

Offline J.R.E.

Re: Update 12/13/18 Good news and bad news,...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 05:46:15 pm »

:)  OH yes,...  I had a birthday on December 3rd.  I am now 67 !!  8)

Diagnosed positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

CD 4 @600 /  CD4 % @ 55

67 years young.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 07:15:31 pm »
UPDATE 12/18/18

So I had my appointment with the Cardiologist on Monday, and here's the lowdown.

The doctor and I decided on tests that were done, and how I've been feeling, that the time for surgery has arrived. My last echo cardiogram, showed the valve was much worse, than the previous echo.

On a scale of one to ten, he rated it at an 8, which simply means time for a new valve. It also surprises me how much valve deterioration has taken place, over the past 8 months.

The doctor is giving me a little time to absorb, all that we talked about on Monday.  Ed and I were in his office, for almost an hour, asking plenti of questions.

This will be the sequence of events :

The cardiologist, will set me up first with a dentist at the VA, to make sure there are no current infections going on in my mouth/ GUMS). He claims this is normal procedure.  Its important that prior to my operation, there are no current infections taking place. I don't have any problem there.

On Feb 5th, 2019,  I will meet with him again, and he will schedule another TEE , along with Cardiac catheterization. For those unfamiliar, a TEE procedure, will send a camera down my throat, to get a better look toward the heart

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/transesophageal-echocardiogram-tee

Cardiac catheterization :

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/cardiac-catheterization/about/pac-20384695

The Heart catheterization, will be done ( I believe he said) at the same time, once the appointments are set up. to

I thought I was going to have a less non invasive valve repair done, ( Or maybe I didn't fully understand) However this will be open heart surgery. I will be opened up through the center of the chest. 

He made sure that I was aware, of the seriousness of this operation.

Depending on results from the Heart Catheriztion,  A bypass, and mitral heart valve replacement,  will be done together.

He was hopeful that this surgery could be done at the Haley VA medical center in Tampa, which is probably 25 miles from where we live.

But, he did not rule out the possibility,  That I may have to have this done at the VA, in Gainesville, Florida, which is about a 2 1/2 drive north from where we live.

He stated, that I can expect to stay in the hospital 7 to 10 days.  After I get back home, I will have rehab 4 times a week, for at least two months, at the VA medical center in St. Petersburg.

I also have the cardiologist telephone number.  I can call him anytime prior to February 5th, and give the go ahead, for the tests/procedures that are required or additional labs that may need to be taken.

So,... this is definitely a moving forward, I will have more info, after the 5th of February,  and will know more, about the TEE and heart catheriztion, and about the place and time of surgery itself.

I do realize that this is a very serious operation, but I am looking forward to to having energy again !! I am hoping to being completely healed up by May, so I can get back to swimming and doing laps again. Also it would be nice to get back and doing power walks again, without panting like a dog !

I will keep you all updated as I get more information.   On January 25th, I will get an eye exam through the VA. It's been two years since my last exam, and I think my vision is changing. Busy Schedule !

On January 29, I have a dermatology appt set up.  This is done annually, and I have a few spots that need freezing off, and just a good check over.

More Later !!

Ray

CD 4 @600 /  CD4 % @ 55

67 years young.

Offline em

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 05:05:45 am »
you use the VA

? I use the VA too. the  mail meds. and computer website are great . Much has changed there over the past thirty years .

sorry to hear about your heart condition. I hope it works out and good health ahead for you . 

My wife's grand mother had a pig heart valve replacement many years ago . if I understand correctly the ex gov of California Arnold had a heart valve replacement

all the best to you

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 03:53:42 pm »
you use the VA

? I use the VA too. the  mail meds. and computer website are great . Much has changed there over the past thirty years .

sorry to hear about your heart condition. I hope it works out and good health ahead for you . 

all the best to you

Thanks !

I've been with the VA since the end of 2009. I know there has been some issues with the VA around the country, but overall, I have received great care with them. But there is always room for improvement.

I like the website, Easy to use and navigate.  Our Palm Harbor clinic, Florida clinic, was shut down , due to the storms that came through the area today.  I think they had water damage. No news of when they will be reopening, But I am OK. No appointments scheduled.

Not sure what kind of valve I will be getting.  I think there are 3 available.  The pig valve, Mechanical valve and the Bovine valve.

More later.  Thanks-----Ray

CD 4 @600 /  CD4 % @ 55

67 years young.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 07:22:34 pm »
Ray,

Hope the New Year brings you great news and recovery with your medical procedurs and results.

Take care,

OT
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2019 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.