Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 23, 2019, 05:49:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 740178
  • Total Topics: 61511
  • Online Today: 314
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 am)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 239
Total: 244

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Support groups?  (Read 352 times)

Offline randym431

Support groups?
« on: December 13, 2018, 05:30:04 am »
I haven't been around here for some time. Lost my life partner of 36 years Jan 2017 from a sudden heart attack. HIV wasn't his problem, he was negative. But he was a long term smoker and that caught up with him. We married in 2009 when it became legal here in the state.
Still in a lot of grief. Everyone says it gets better over time, my opinion and experience, it doesn't. Holidays are very hard.
But thats not why I stopped in after so long.
I stopped in to see what people were saying about Biktarvy, which I just switched to this week from Atripla. Atripla was great, but the old doc suggested Biktarvy a better long term option.
Also.... I joined a local HIV support group a few months ago. Interesting group.
Came across the group when researching medicare options. Long story....
I enjoy the small group of about 8 to 12 depending on the attendance.
However, the group moderator, a professional, tends to assume people living with HIV have this huge HIV stigma hanging over them.
The moderator kinda dwells on the subject, week after week, and I don't really get it.
I mean, if this were the 80's or 90's, then maybe. But in todays world, I think people are pretty much use to knowing people with HIV. And I really don't see or feel the stigma.
Apparently, the same goes for the other members. When asked about living and dealing with the stigma of HIV, members look surprised and a bit bewildered.
Makes me wonder how professionals perceive people that are HIV pos? If maybe they are professionally stuck in an era when stigma was a problem. But today, not so much.
Still, its an interesting group with interesting selection of members.
Two are women. One a dental hygienist that went thru hell getting diagnosed. They thought it was cancer. Then this or that. HIV never occurred to her doctors. She was hit hard with the HIV virus before finally diagnosed. And asked some embarrassing questioned that she still jokes about i.e. was she ever in the sex trade? Ever an IV drug user? This lady is as close to a nun as one can get. Witty and fun to be around but very very religious. She figured her infection had to come from needle pricks in her job as a dental hygienist. Thats all she could figure.
But anyway, an interesting diverse group. And I'd say with stigma free members.
So, should people with HIV feel a stigma in todays world? And if not, is that a problem in itself? A lot of professionals seem to think so.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 05:36:28 am by randym431 »
Diag Sept 2005 VL1mill, CD4 85, 3%, 143#
November 2018 UD, CD4 920, 34%, 205#

Offline JimDublin

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Support groups?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 06:01:33 am »
Hiya

Firstly really sorry to hear about your loss.

Hugs and wishing you contuined strength.

However, the group moderator, a professional, tends to assume people living with HIV have this huge HIV stigma hanging over them.
The moderator kinda dwells on the subject, week after week, and I don't really get it.

I tend to avoid HIV Negative led groups and stick with peer support, some therapists or counsellors are really good in all fairness but most are frankly clueless.  Tend to find them stuck in the past or unable to cope that people from different times, backgrounds and history will have vastly different experiences.

Makes me wonder how professionals perceive people that are HIV pos?

I think most in a good way and despite thinking that many are clueless I don't think the professionals precive us negativity generally speaking

So, should people with HIV feel a stigma in todays world? And if not, is that a problem in itself? A lot of professionals seem to think so.

If maybe they are professionally stuck in an era when stigma was a problem. But today, not so much.

Question. Do you think stigma & discrimination on the basis of HIV status is still an issue / experience today for some people ?

Jim
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 06:06:57 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 06:43:48 am »
First - So sorry about your loss.  I can only imagine how difficult it must be to lose someone after all those years.  Hugs!!

I agree with Jim - would far prefer a support group led by someone living with this virus -- of course, we aren't always "lucky" enough to encounter one of those.

As for HIV stigma - it is funny how we can be so used to it that it doesn't always seem obvious, but this quote (below) is really stigma in action.

Two are women. One a dental hygienist that went thru hell getting diagnosed. They thought it was cancer. Then this or that. HIV never occurred to her doctors. She was hit hard with the HIV virus before finally diagnosed. And asked some embarrassing questioned that she still jokes about i.e. was she ever in the sex trade? Ever an IV drug user? This lady is as close to a nun as one can get. Witty and fun to be around but very very religious. She figured her infection had to come from needle pricks in her job as a dental hygienist. Thats all she could figure.

Basically - is shows how people see HIV as only a disease of "those people" -- you know, gays and addicts.
It isn't necessarily the shunning and fear of the 80's and 90's.  I agree that more people know someone with HIV and that can help, but I do think stigma is alive today.  Just often subtler.

Mike
Atripla - Started 12/05
Reyataz/Norvir - Added 6/06
Labs - Pre-Meds
Sep05 T=350/25% VL98,559
Nov05 288/18%  47,564
Current Labs
May2015 969/28% <20

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 06:04:10 pm »

Hi Randym431 ,

I'm very sorry for your loss , as unfortunate as it is I will soon
 be in your shoes after 38 years   :'(

Not sure how I will handle the loneliness , already many old friends have dumped me  for unsaid reasons .....

I go to a support group lead by a Pharmacist , he is 35ish , one of the best looking and acting Mammals I have ever encountered. He lets the group discuss at will what we want to talk about.   It is the joy of the month for me .

I came out to the community several months ago , I was at the point of not caring if people were bothered , what they going to do kill me ? don't care .....

As far a stigma , it's their problem not mine !    I am fortunate to have a small group of people that care for me and don't mind my company .

I do know some people around here , S.E. Missouri still are more offended by the fact I have been with a man since 1980     than they are about me having HIV .

I hope it gets better for you .   I'm sure it's a very sad time of the year .

Nice to meet you , be well ,
                                                                           Carl
" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2019 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.