Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2019, 02:06:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 34856
  • Latest: bay444
Stats
  • Total Posts: 749405
  • Total Topics: 62930
  • Online Today: 639
  • Online Ever: 4912
  • (November 13, 2019, 02:56:14 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 561
Total: 561

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: stroke and hiv  (Read 751 times)

Offline CalvinC

stroke and hiv
« on: December 06, 2018, 02:49:14 pm »
[Not sure if this topic goes here but....]

A couple of weeks ago I (apparently) had a TIA (transient ischemic attack), which mimics a stroke and is sometimes referred to as a mini-stroke. Or it might have been a vaso spasm/contraction. I can't be sure. No pain, no dizziness, no slurring....just a very brief period of hazy consciousness. I got imaging, EKG, blood work etc etc done, and it's all clear. No plaque etc.

I don't think this has anything to do with my hiv status -- but who knows? My GP didn't say anything.  And so I'm wondering if people here have had these.

For the record: I'm 60, super fit, don't smoke, do drugs etc etc. In fact, the TIA occurred as I was in the middle of a very intense free weight workout. (And so I'm thinking that, if anything, what occurred was as a result of just get older. Arteries become less flexible, no matter how fit one is. I'll likely have to exercise less intensely.)

Thanks!

Offline terrymoore

Re: stroke and hiv
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 08:27:38 am »
heavy lifting can increase blood pressure and create dizziness, or - even worse - a stroke! See article - there are many. You should get cleared by your doc. Maybe time to look for a different physical activity? You should consult with your doc.
http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/hb2.htm

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 11:34:39 pm »
I think I might have had one at work one day (about five years ago - I would have been 57 years old - now retired 4.5 years).  I was under a lot of stress and not sleeping.  I was really exhausted all the time.  While carrying a cup of coffee back from the break room, I had an episode of vertigo, along with loud ringing in my ears (I have tinnitus, but suddenly it really amped up), and zig-zag pattern of lightening bolts obstructing my field of vision.  I have had three previous episodes of vertigo, so I was somewhat prepared to handle it.  It made it back to my desk, but couldn't think straight for a few hours.  I blamed it more on stress, sleep deprivation, and caffeine consumption than HIV though.  I read a story about a guy who was only 28, but living in the fast lane as a super over-achiever in his career.  He had a stroke during a public presentation attributed to stress and lack of sleep.

I'm not sure if arterial stiffness might have contributed.  Vigorous exercise (aerobic or circuit weight training) should dilate the arteries.  If you run a fast mile and take your blood pressure about an hour later, you should find it much lower than normal due to the still dilated arteries.  Based on terry's link, you might want to try super-slow reps with lighter weight when weight lifting.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 11:45:22 pm by MitchMiller »

Offline CalvinC

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 02:15:09 pm »
Thanks for the replies including the interesting WSJ article. I did go see my GP again because I had relatively no information on "where to go from here." He really wouldn't commit himself to anything, and I can see why. He said something to the effect of "All your indicators are normal and you're otherwise in perfect health. Continue on." In other words, he can't guarantee anything, and that's no surprise. So I think I'm going to reduce the intensity and speed. .... What I had been doing just prior to the TIA was a ladder of bicep curls, decreasing weight (by 10s, from 75) and increasing reps (by 2s, from 6, for a total of 66). It's no wonder this happened. All the blood flow went to my arms. .... Time for a change!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2019 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.