Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2019, 02:19:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 742039
  • Total Topics: 61795
  • Online Today: 400
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 am)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 91
Total: 96

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Drank milk 1.5 hour after Triumeq  (Read 748 times)

Offline happy74

Drank milk 1.5 hour after Triumeq
« on: November 24, 2018, 11:49:19 am »
I am worry about that, I took the Triumeq(empty stomach) then 1.5 hour later I drank 250ml of milk, will it cause the effectiveness of absorption of the medicine?

Online JimDublin

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Drank milk 1.5 hour after Triumeq
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 12:15:05 pm »
Why would you think a glass of milk is an issue?
The issue with Dolutegravir is suppliments etc

My ID doctor has no issues with me taking dairy and I used to take my (Tivicay) Dolutegravir and later my Triumeq that also contains Dolutegravir with 500 grams of full live bio-yogurt every morning for years. (Still do from time to time) They do however have issues with me taking supplements

Reason is dolutegravir absorption is effected when administered with mineral supplements, this is true. Tivicay should be taken at least two hours before or six hours after supplements  (Antacids or laxatives, sucralfate, oral iron supplements, calcium supplements, or buffered medication)

The Iron & Calcium supplements often contain way higher dose of minerals than are ever found or could be ingested from a eating normal breakfast, lunch or dinner, glass of milk etc. 

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Online JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 12:18:17 pm »
3rd reply into this thread on the topic from Mike is excellent BTW https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=70749.msg
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline happy74

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 12:32:50 am »
Thanks Jim,
As from our pharmacy, there is an instruction for reminding clients not taking antacids/milk and mineral supplements at the same time. The clinic nurse stated that Triumeq is needed to be absorbed by gastric fluid, hence , something causing neutralizing the PH in gastric fluid may not encourage us to take at the same time.
However, just a glass of milk can not totally "rinse" your stomach and alter the mechanism of digestion. The insert also no statement regarding of not taking dairy products.
Thanks your help
happy74

Online JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 04:04:48 am »
You're welcome.

Yeah, sounds like an over the top nurse.  I've had that experience myself when I first started Tivicay/Truvada combo years ago, it was about 3 weeks in and I had a nurse scaremongering as I ate cornflakes with milk and sometimes yogurt. ::)

Well intended perhaps, but there however really is no need and its fine when checking with package insert, studies into this and my ID doctor.

HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Loa111

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 04:52:54 am »
I take Tivicay and my other separate pill Discovy just before or after breakfast which is corn flakes milk and a bowl of yogurt (supermarket label yogurt because Iím cheap lol). Been doing this since I was switched to this 2 pill regime a few months ago and still UD <40 copies.

Offline happy74

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 10:37:07 am »
Thanks Loa111,

I reported to the clinic nurse today and she replied that occasionally to drink milk is ok. However, I think just go on my usual habit, I usually drink milk at daytime, so that less routine thing at night then I choose to take the pill at night.

Offline happy74

Update my progress
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 08:48:43 am »

09-13-18 Diagnosed HIV +, Syphilis titre 1:64
09-20,27-18 Treatment of Syphilis completed
09-28-18 CD4:329(11.75%), VL: 640000
10-16-18 Start on Triumeq
10-25-18 Syphilis titre 1:32
12-04-18 CD4:411 by PIMA test

Offline happy74

Re: Update my progress
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 08:41:51 am »

09-13-18 Diagnosed HIV +, Syphilis titre 1:64
09-20,27-18 Treatment of Syphilis completed
09-28-18 CD4:329(11.75%), VL: 640000
10-16-18 Start on Triumeq
10-25-18 Syphilis titre 1:32
12-04-18 CD4:411 by PIMA test
12-27-18 Syphilis titre 1:4
01-23-19 CD4:465, VL:48
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 08:44:39 am by happy74 »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2019 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.