Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2018, 11:15:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 33796
  • Latest: Davai
Stats
  • Total Posts: 738748
  • Total Topics: 61284
  • Online Today: 287
  • Online Ever: 1421
  • (August 13, 2016, 05:18:44 am)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 209
Total: 214

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tested posetive with partner  (Read 627 times)

Offline Hold on

Tested posetive with partner
« on: November 17, 2018, 08:33:26 pm »
Hi everyone.
So i started having skin fungal infections on my face, neck and back, and cysts on my genital area, when I went to the doc she said its symptoms of hiv, didnt even know my status by then, so i was shocked. Doc didnt tell me my viral load, but CD4 is 184. I started ARV treatment on 6th November 2018 (boy has it been tough with the side effects)

To cut a long story short, i was diagnosed with hiv a month ago, told my partner immediatly....... He made some excuses for a month delaying him to test he finally went to test and it was podetive as well...... Its a long distance relationship and am meating him today, what I know he is gonna want to have sex and i am currently treating a few ailments down there especially around my anus area (cysts that wont go away, jock itch and i noticed recently that some are turning to open sores which i hate. Bottom line is am not comfortable having sex again yet, how should i tell him? My problem is he doesnt seem to be taking it all serious....... He was suppose to go collect ARV treatment for the first time and he did not go, now he has to wait for another week again (hospital administration drama)

Basically am so tired of these symptoms, i don't take pictures anymore because of the mark fungal infection makes on my nose and bottom of my eyes (is it ever gonna go away?

I was never a person of mood swings but  now i find myself having anxiety and depressed during the day, then at night am happy again, such a rollercoaster ride.

Wow, what a battle.
Hold on

Online JimDublin

• Administrator
  • Twitter @JimAllenDublin
    • HIV Lessons
Re: Tested posetive with partner
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 08:56:46 pm »
Hiya

Sorry to hear about the results but glad you started medication.
Not sure what medication you are taking?

Basically am so tired of these symptoms, i don't take pictures anymore because of the mark fungal infection makes on my nose and bottom of my eyes (is it ever gonna go away?

Yeah it can be rough at first, particularly if you are sick and are treating other illnesses that your immune system has not controlled or fought off and things can seem worse before getting better however things do settle in once the meds have suppressed the HIV, and you have had time to heal (so to speak) and treat other conditions. Its early days and things do take time but with care you will get there.  ;)

Do keep working with your doctor and keep them posted and make sure to treat any conditions that popup. I don't suppose you know the type of fungal infection but are you getting any treatment for it and what did the doctor say?

I've had fungal overgrowth issues myself when I got my act together and started my last last round of HIV meds, not due to the meds of course but just because my immune system was suppressed and I started antibiotics at the same time. No permanent scaring left thankfully.

Bottom line is am not comfortable having sex again yet, how should i tell him?

I would just be direct and when you meet him as how he is doing and when its your chance tell him how you are doing and that you are not ready to be sexually active at the moment.

Anyhow wishing you the best

Jim

« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 09:19:15 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Transmission and Risks
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Online JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 09:06:17 pm »
He made some excuses for a month delaying him to test

My problem is he doesnt seem to be taking it all serious....... He was suppose to go collect ARV treatment for the first time and he did not go, now he has to wait for another week again (hospital administration drama)

Well I have not spoken to him, you have of course. All I can say is some people need more time, support to digest the news and accept it, others need a bit of additional encouragement or reassurance to start treatment. Whatever the case might be hopefully he starts treatment sooner rather than later and before other optimistic infections can surface and/or before he gets sick.

Has he given any reasons why he dragged him feet in regards to testing and now treatment?

Jim

HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Hold on

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 12:56:17 pm »
Thanx for the reply Jim am on efaviren, tenofovir and emtricitaine all in one pill....... Am on winthrop ionizide, the doc said its to prevent any TB infections. Am on bactrim as well as B vitamin complex.

I think my partner was reluctant because of fear of really knowing his hiv status and the reality of it, but i think he is aclamatizing to the situation a bit better now.

My fungal infection is also overgrowth and it bothers me a lot on face, chest, back, buttocks, scalp am happy to hear from u Jim that it eventually goes away when virus is suppressed.

Anymore advice you can offer me?

Online JimDublin

• Administrator
    • HIV Lessons
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 01:26:13 pm »
So brand name Atripla for the HIV meds combination if i am not mistake, solid combination and many of our members have taken this combo or are still are taking it. https://www.poz.com/drug/atripla

TB Meds and Bactrim DS (trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole)
Yeah. The bactrim is vital for the moment perhaps but its not for ever thankfully, so  once your immune system starts to bounce back you will be able to talk to the doctor about dropping them and I am sure you will start to feel better.

My fungal infection is also overgrowth and it bothers me a lot on face, chest, back, buttocks, scalp am happy to hear from u Jim that it eventually goes away when virus is suppressed.

Anymore advice you can offer me?

My fungal problems always tends to flair up when i'm on antibiotics, that's just me. Seek treatment for it though, as left untreated it can become serious!   https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/candidiasis-thrush-yeast-infection

I think my partner was reluctant because of fear of really knowing his hiv status and the reality of it, but i think he is aclamatizing to the situation a bit better now.

Glad to hear that, all you can really do is be reassuring as its is his journey

Jim
HIV 101
Transmission and Risks:
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2018 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.